Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: grant question

Forum Member

Default grant question

Iíve been trying to figure out what I should be applying for this year I have some ideas of items my department could use but Iím afraid asking for them in one grant may sound like a shopping list so I want to run it by you all. As it is right now I am referring to this as a firefighter and victim safety grant. It includes an AED for our 2 engines and 1 rescue truck cause after 4pm and before 8am the EMS service in our area has an average of 6-9 minutes before they go in route time, a TIC to be used in victim locating and RIT operations, and 26 sections of 20 foot of 1 inch tubular webbing for each of our firefighters for victim or firefighter rescue.

Talking

Sounds like a reasonable package to write for FF safety.
    The AEDS are an easy one as the leading causes of FF death is Cardiac / stroke related.
    TIC for locating FF's & victims is another plus.
    webbing and bail out kits for FF safety add to the overall safety.

Forum Member

That's not so much a shopping list since the items can be closely related in the right story, which sounds like you have a start to one.

Where it would wander into a list would be if you threw in hose, pagers, SCBA masks, a compressor, and so on. Single focus deficiencies is the way to design and write.

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Single focus deficiencies .
    bc79er did you just "coin" that phrase? I like it!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Been using it for a while in most presentations and writings. Thought I used it before here but might not have.

Forum Member

thanks for the comments everyone my next question since you all think this would be fine for a firefighter safety grant would you recommend anything else to ask for with a safety grant.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    That's not so much a shopping list since the items can be closely related in the right story, which sounds like you have a start to one.

Where it would wander into a list would be if you threw in hose, pagers, SCBA masks, a compressor, and so on. Single focus deficiencies is the way to design and write.
    BC79er, My question for you or anyone else that may have some ideas! We will be starting an EXPLORER program teaching Fire Science. This will be done through Vocational Ag (FFA) for grades 9 thru 12, during 8th period when school starts next year. What we are trying to do is outfit 25 to 30 students with uniforms and also aquire funds to secure scholarships for those that meet certain requirements and choose to pursue a career in the Fire Service. Can you give me some ideas for a grant? Not sure if you know much about the EXPLORER program but it allows Jr firefighters to ride in an inclosed cab and do pretty much everything on a working fire except interior attack. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!!!
    You can email me at msdm95@nehp.net

Forum Member

SAFER allows for scholarships and everything explorer related minus gear and uniforms. you'd have to check around other private grants for money for those.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sixfortyone View Post
    Iíve been trying to figure out what I should be applying for this year I have some ideas of items my department could use but Iím afraid asking for them in one grant may sound like a shopping list so I want to run it by you all. As it is right now I am referring to this as a firefighter and victim safety grant. It includes an AED for our 2 engines and 1 rescue truck cause after 4pm and before 8am the EMS service in our area has an average of 6-9 minutes before they go in route time, a TIC to be used in victim locating and RIT operations, and 26 sections of 20 foot of 1 inch tubular webbing for each of our firefighters for victim or firefighter rescue.
    Some people on my fire department recently had ask me if asking for a washer extractor in addition to the other stuff would be possible or if that is to much of a stretch on a firefighter safety grant. also they brought this up cause we just got a grant for ppe but didnt think to ask for a washer with that grant. thanks

Forum Member

Compare how much your matching is to any of the items by themselves, might show that you are promising enough cash to buy something on your own. IE, shoot yourself down.

Thread Information