Forum Member

Default 31 and starting EMT in IL

Seeing that the max. age for hire in IL is 35, anyone thing I stand a chance of landing employment.
    I'm 31. Just starting my EMT in the fall with paramedic class to follow.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan

Forum Member

You've got 4 years then, so step it up and get those apps in! Hard to be picky with that short of time left and this economy. There's still plenty of departments that don't require you to have anything to test, but there are departments that require you to have your FFII and/or Paramedic license in-hand to apply, so there will be some options that are out.

Rockford just started a testing process last month, so they'll be done for 2-3 years. Peoria should be testing this year, no requirements. Springfield's list will be 4 years old come this summer, and they've extended it twice now, so they should test sometime soon. Decatur and Champaign just did tests last year. Urbana tested 2 years ago, so they might go again this year. Hard to say with the economy how it is. Also, keep an eye on some smaller departments. Most require Paramedic in-hand, or current enrollment in a Paramedic class, but not all of them. I'm from central Illinois, so places that come to mind are like Beardstown and Taylorville. Chatham just did a test, but they should be retesting, they think something was wrong with their written test provided by an outside company because 20 applicants all failed it. They don't do the typical spelling/grammar test though, it's over Fire and EMS material. Lincoln just started a testing process, so they're out for a few years.

Also, there's a lot of places in the suburbs. You'll most likely have to have your CPAT card to apply, and a lot of them require something to do with your Paramedic, but not all of them. If you live up that way, see about getting on part-time or paid-on-call, because that might be able to extend your time from 35 to 39, I'm not sure how that works exactly.

MembersZone Subscriber

try and get hired somewhere part time or volly because the age issue doesn't count against you if you were working prior to age 35.

Forum Member

the problem i have run into after being volly fr 2 yeas nobody i have talked to will let me apply till i turn 21, so i'm at the other end of the scale lol

Forum Member

Yea but you've still got 14 years to test after you turn 21, plenty of time man! Some places do test before 21, like Springfield, but they're few and far between.

MembersZone Subscriber

gwilly, I am right there with you! I have my FF2(getting FF3 this yr.), EMT(going for my medic right now), Hazmat Ops(getting Tech A in May), and more than halfway done with Fire Science. We just have to wait out the long 2 years!!! I think it will definitely be worth it though, and the more certifications we have I figure the better. I've been told if you have FF2, and your a medic, your already a foot in the door for sure.
    Sincerely,

JuniorAFPD
    juniorafpd@gmail.com

Forum Member

Gaining your medic cert and getting some proven savvy street time is the best thing you could do to shorten the distance between you and that badge. A lot of states don't have age requirements.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information