Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amertek

Forum Member

Default Amertek

Anybody have any experience with these rigs. I know the MACE the Army used had serious issues and was phased out in favor of the Oshkosh rebuild of the HEMETT. I am referring the the Crash trucks that have been appearing as surplus.

Quote Originally Posted by Truck_3 View Post
    Anybody have any experience with these rigs. I know the MACE the Army used had serious issues and was phased out in favor of the Oshkosh rebuild of the HEMETT. I am referring the the Crash trucks that have been appearing as surplus.
    They are ALMOST as worthless as the MACI's. Worked at a Naval Base where we had to take the things over to the motor pool once a week so that they could torque down the lug nuts properly. Water leaked in like a colander whenever you used the roof turret.....Pray you never have to use the front axle drive and the drive shaft comes through the floor and kills you.....What else do you want to know?

But at least the true ARFF Amerjunks never killed a brother.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Run away. They are junk.

Forum Member

I have to agree with Buff and Gunny. When I worked as a F/F for the Navy we received twins of these units in the early 1990's. As stated, they were junk. The roof turret always leaked and would slam open and shut. We would duck for cover in the cab when ever we did operated it. We would also take them over to the motor pool once a week "to get our nuts checked". The mechanic told us to limit our speed to 30mph. Yea, that's the answer!! One of them was alway in the shop for repairs. We ended putting them in reserve and using the older Oshkosh's.

"AMERTEK": Ancient Inuit Eskimo word for "F*ck the round eye white man with schitbox firetruck"
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool EL Cheapo

What a POS. Saw my first MACI truck at a show. Their version of a mansaver bar was a piece of pipe with a roll of carpet wraped around the pipe and held on with two plastic wire ties. The pipe pivioted at the front of the body down to in between the cab grab handle and the side of the cab. The carpet was already wearing the paint off the side of the cab just driving the truck to the show. I've never seen such a piece of c##p before or after.

Thread Information