1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default NY Roof Hook Class

    I am trying to teach a class on the NY Roof Hook. Having problems finding enough information to put together and present the class. If your dept. has put the class on or if you know of a dept. that has done this class and would not mind sharing their class presentation it would be very helpful. I am trying to put this together to present to my training dept. to look at adding the NY Roof Hook to our tools to be carried on our Engines. Any info about this would be greatful.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,676

    Default

    Don't know if there would be a enough to teach a whole class on it.

    But it certainly could be very easily incorporated into a hand tools refresher class, probably as a seperate little segment.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    give them some tools and let them play around with them. You "can" teach a class on a hand tool, but I doubt they'll remember it. This is a hands on job, so let them get their hands on the tool.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    SCHAUMBURG, IL.
    Posts
    133

    Default

    that other fire magazine had this article

    http://www.fireengineering.com/index...e_Country.html

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    yjbrody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    give them some tools and let them play around with them. You "can" teach a class on a hand tool, but I doubt they'll remember it. This is a hands on job, so let them get their hands on the tool.
    It's difficult to tell by his original post, but to me it sounded like he was looking for material to back up his push to get it on his depts engines, not that he was actually trying to teach a class on the single tool. I don't know, that's just how it sounded to me.

    We don't use them, but what would you say the benefits are over other designs and styles of hooks?

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    yjbrody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody64 View Post
    It's difficult to tell by his original post, but to me it sounded like he was looking for material to back up his push to get it on his depts engines, not that he was actually trying to teach a class on the single tool. I don't know, that's just how it sounded to me.

    We don't use them, but what would you say the benefits are over other designs and styles of hooks?
    Nevermind, the link posted by fddd160 seemed to sum up its uses and benefits...

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cupcake NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Ciampo gives a great class on it, and its even better when its during building inspection :-) They are not that expensive, and ill bet a cats ***** you can not break it!

  8. #8
    makes good girls go bad
    BLSboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    On the beach, Fla/OCNJ
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Ciampo gives a great class on it, and its even better when its during building inspection :-) They are not that expensive, and ill bet a cats ***** you can not break it!
    Should be able to go on fire engineerings website for a portion of what he teaches.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    SCHAUMBURG, IL.
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Jonny,
    never bet against a firefighter breaking something. You could put a FF in a concrete room with only one way in or out. Give the FF 2 steel balls and leave for a half hour. When you come back one ball will be broken and the other missing and the firefighter will not know what happened to either ball.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    yjbrody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fddd160 View Post
    Jonny,
    never bet against a firefighter breaking something. You could put a FF in a concrete room with only one way in or out. Give the FF 2 steel balls and leave for a half hour. When you come back one ball will be broken and the other missing and the firefighter will not know what happened to either ball.
    I was wondering where you were going with putting a FF and 2 balls in a room together...

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cupcake NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    A few have failed to remove their hook from the side of the rig when the stabilizers and outriggers have been lowered. A steel hook makes a very distinct ping when it bends and releases! We have one with an 'arc' but none broken. And I believe the story is you put a fireman in a room with a bowling ball and it will either be broken or pregnant!

  12. #12
    makes good girls go bad
    BLSboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    On the beach, Fla/OCNJ
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    A few have failed to remove their hook from the side of the rig when the stabilizers and outriggers have been lowered. A steel hook makes a very distinct ping when it bends and releases! We have one with an 'arc' but none broken. And I believe the story is you put a fireman in a room with a bowling ball and it will either be broken or pregnant!
    Shouldn't you be doing something productive today?!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cupcake NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    I had a very productive day! Saw one of the new TL's I hope ours splits in half!

  14. #14
    makes good girls go bad
    BLSboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    On the beach, Fla/OCNJ
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    Useless with no pics.
    isnt it a newer one you got already?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

  15. #15
    55 Years & Still Rolling
    hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
    Posts
    10,740

    Lightbulb Y'all Missed It..................

    Dang........ Nobody put up the REAL reason for having/using that tool yet....
    Dummies..........






























































    When the Rescue Company arrives, and everyone comes bailing out the back, carrying one of those hooks is the Epitome of COOL!!.............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

    www.gdvfd18.com

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    When the Rescue Company arrives, and everyone comes bailing out the back, carrying one of those hooks is the Epitome of COOL!!.............
    Yes, because you guys need all the help you can get to look cool coming out the back of a school bus.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  17. #17
    55 Years & Still Rolling
    hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
    Posts
    10,740

    Talking Yeah.............

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Yes, because you guys need all the help you can get to look cool coming out the back of a school bus.

    Everybody likes a little, nobody likes a SMART AZZ.....







    Hi Bro, Snow melted up there yet?.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

    www.gdvfd18.com

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Everybody likes a little, nobody likes a SMART AZZ.....







    Hi Bro, Snow melted up there yet?.........
    Affirmative. Snow all gone. We were spoiled the second week in April with 6 or 8 days straight of sunny/70 degree plus weather (including one or two days of over 85.) Two months ago today I never woulda' thought that the snow would eventually melt.........
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2010 afg
    By elk1544 in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-22-2009, 08:15 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 10-11-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2005, 09:00 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 12-03-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 12:34 AM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 08-07-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 08:56 AM
  5. Roof team hoseline
    By quietone in forum Fireground Tactics
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 10:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register