Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default Newport Beach, CA

Anyone else apply to this one?

Forum Member

yes sir, i jumped on it today. whats the word going around as to how many FF EMTS they wanty to pick up?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jakelong View Post
    yes sir, i jumped on it today. whats the word going around as to how many FF EMTS they wanty to pick up?
    I wish I knew the numbers.

I was told by someone in admin that they were recieving a lot on online applications without the required attachments. Once you submit, you cannot re-apply for 180 days.

Forum Member

well that is good for us I guess, but bad for them lol. I am hoping to at least get a test. I worked on an ambulance down in the oc and ran some calls with newport beach fire- they seemed like a good group of guys to work for... lets cross our fingers man! good luck

Forum Member

I had a meeting with a Captain over there a couple of weeks ago, and he said that, ideally, they would be picking up around 10 new firefighters. But, as is the case these days with money concerns, it could be less. I believe they had received the max 500 apps sometime yesterday. They had 350 the first day, but tossed almost half because they were incomplete - you're online file and in person application both had to be totally complete. I got mine in yesterday, thank goodness.

Forum Member

wow, ten spots would be awesome!! that makes the odds pretty good with only five hundrer total applicants. you have to take into account not everyone invited to the test will attend. any idea what the written will intel?

Forum Member

I had my brother in law drop mine off this morning and they told him I was number 513. They said there were a lot that were incomplete. Hopefully my app gets moved up a few spots!

Forum Member

I called this morning before I drove down and the lady informed me that they were at about 450 but A LOT were incomplete. Good luck hope everyone gets a test!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jamessmitchell View Post
    I had a meeting with a Captain over there a couple of weeks ago, and he said that, ideally, they would be picking up around 10 new firefighters. But, as is the case these days with money concerns, it could be less. I believe they had received the max 500 apps sometime yesterday. They had 350 the first day, but tossed almost half because they were incomplete - you're online file and in person application both had to be totally complete. I got mine in yesterday, thank goodness.
    So do the applications that were tossed out for being incomplete count as part of the 500?

Forum Member

wow, ten spots would be awesome!! that makes the odds pretty good with only five hundrer total applicants. you have to take into account not everyone invited to the test will attend. any idea what the written will intel?
    The written topics are in the job posting. I believe it was IFSTA FF Essentials, haz mat and building construction. 100 questions of multiple choice.

Forum Member

has anyone heard if theyre picking up EMT's or medics, and if so how many of each?

Forum Member

Anybody heard back either way? i turned my app in earlier this month over the interweb and since i live up in northern CA i called to ask if i could mail the hardcopy down, and they said it would fine. does anybody remember when the closing date was?

Forum Member

the closing date is the 28th. I turned mine in my application on the 16th and i was in the 450's. I was told that many of the application were not filled out correctly which would mean they would be tossed and the next guy/gal would move up. I guarantee newport has the 500 already but they are still taking apps up to today (28th).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FirstDue52 View Post
    the closing date is the 28th. I turned mine in my application on the 16th and i was in the 450's. I was told that many of the application were not filled out correctly which would mean they would be tossed and the next guy/gal would move up. I guarantee newport has the 500 already but they are still taking apps up to today (28th).
    A friend called a few days ago and they were over 800.

Forum Member

Default Newport Beach written exam

Does anyone know exactly what is going to be on the Written Test?

ex: the chapters from which books....

Forum Member

I heard from a captain down there to focus your studies on IFSTA Principles of Firefighting...

And I heard they are just looking for the best candidates regardless of if they are medics or EMTs, but sometimes they say that and end up hiring only medics...

Also, their background is apparently the gnarliest around. They lose something like 60-70% in the polygraph...their polygrapher is apparently really hard to please.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info...

Forum Member

Check your email guys - they sent out notifications of test results today.

Forum Member

Default Newport Test

I just took the test on the 8th. I got the email today saying I didn't make it. There must have been some very high scores because I know I scored in the 90's for sure. I wasn't 100% sure on maybe 5 or 6 questions, and with those I made pretty educated guesses after narrowing the answers down the 3 or 2. Oh well, just wasn't meant to be. Good luck to everybody else.

Forum Member

Default Newport Fire

nothing yet, still waiting to hear back from Newport.

Good luck to all!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by allisonfire View Post
    nothing yet, still waiting to hear back from Newport.

Good luck to all!
    My results were in my Spam box. So make sure you check your spam.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by didiart View Post
    I just took the test on the 8th. I got the email today saying I didn't make it. There must have been some very high scores because I know I scored in the 90's for sure. I wasn't 100% sure on maybe 5 or 6 questions, and with those I made pretty educated guesses after narrowing the answers down the 3 or 2. Oh well, just wasn't meant to be. Good luck to everybody else.
    I wish I knew what the cut off was on the written.

Forum Member

it was definately a tough test, i have a few buddies that did not get the invite to the physical. I have no clue what the top scores were, didnt say in the email. I have never done a biddle test before, any key pointers from those of you that have done it?

Forum Member

it was definately a tough test, i have a few buddies that did not get the invite to the physical. I have no clue what the top scores were, didnt say in the email. I have never done a biddle test before, any key pointers from those of you that have done it?

The biddle is waaaaay harder then the cpat. Start sprinting up steep hills and buildinf your endurance.

Forum Member

The Biddle Test is easy. The only hard part is carrying hose bundles up 5 stories of stairs. Other than that, there is a fixed ladder raise, you have to walk a chainsaw up like a 30 degree roof ladder prop, bash the sledge hammer a bunch of times , shoulder a ladder and carry it around some cones, drag a dummy, advance some hose, and crawl through a ribbed attic prop. If you are in any type of decent shape, it will be a breeze. If you are a fat slob, you may have trouble, but even then it's pass/fail, so you should be fine.

Yes, it is more difficult than the CPAT, but the CPAT is a joke.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information