Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Differences in 2010 Program Guidance

I just remembered something about the narratives or the online application is only going to accept your first due call numbers? No mutual aid numbers allowed.

Someone help clarify this from other area workshops please and any other changes from '09.

I also heard that the proposed extended AFG will retain the grant writer fees and that the cash match based on population size will not change.
    Last edited by jam24u; 04-15-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Forum Member

The local cost share is not changing from last year, per the powerpoint they gave in my region.

The changes from last year are the prioritization of Modification to Facilities: 1. sprinklers and smoke/fire alarm 2. vehicle exhaust evac systems and vehicle mounted exhaust filtration 3. air improvement and generators. They basically said if you aren't asking for a priority 1 item, don't bother to apply.

Added EMS billing to budget, asking how many ambulances in Characteristics 2, and vehicle prepayments require an advanced payment bond (as well as a penalty for not delivering on time).

Forum Member

Yeah,

Since I am such a low call volume department and the bulk of my calls are mutual aid, I need to show those numbers. Not so much my first due because everyone here knows I walk around and say, "no fires, got it." (yeah right)

But my concern is that during the workshop they are seperating the first due vs mutual aid numbers differently from previous procedures. I'm wondering why?

Then when I asked about the proposed changes for 2011-14 AFG, regarding the required cash match for urban areas and the proposed elimination of grant writing fees, my regional GMS says they anticipate everything to stay the same.

I'm just wondering if any other workshops have heard the same or anything opposite of the above.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Department Call Volume screen on the portal website has asked for first-due only numbers broken down since 2006. There is a spot at the bottom where you can put your mutual aid given numbers.

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe the clarification to have only your "first due" or "home company" numbers used in the table at the top of the application was made several years ago. I think many have ignored the directions and used total numbers with mutual aid included. It was my understanding the total numbers could be used in the narrative to make you case for use, but the table was to be the numbers where your company would be "home." I believe this was done so that calls were not being claimed by multiple companies. Is there another change, or is this what you are talking about? (There was no FEMA grant seminar in my area this year.)
    BB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by k3twpfire View Post
    The Department Call Volume screen on the portal website has asked for first-due only numbers broken down since 2006. There is a spot at the bottom where you can put your mutual aid given numbers.
    Yeah, I am aware of that, but our regional GMS at the workshop said something about that was going to change for 2010. That is what I am trying to identify. Is it going to change in the narrative, the online application, both of them or is nothing going to change afterall.

He said it and I didn't make it up. Think I'll call him and get a clarification. I just remembered I can do that. LOL

MembersZone Subscriber

From our worshop there were a handful of changes for 2010, but nothing mentioned about the change in call volume & mutual aid.

As for 2011 there will be many changes, but no specifics.

In any case you should have something in the narrative about how many mutual aid responses the department does along with how many specific types of incidents that relate to your project. Ex. asking for PPE state how many M/A responses were to structure fires.

I just wrote a narrative for PPE replacement for a department that had no structure fires, but responded to a M/A structure fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Clarification

If you have AMA set up, and you are dispatched over a map boundry on the first alarm assignment, wouldn't that be considered your first due area??

Do the lines on the map go by tax districts or by coverage areas?

If called after the initial alarm then that would be mutual aid.

Am I totally off base??

Mutual aid is anything outside your coverage area. First alarm doesn't matter; if it's not your juristiction, it's M/A.

Forum Member

What Sly posted is it, and the clarification was for DHS people as well as departments because some of their folks were saying Auto M/A is counted as first-due and it's not. Even said that in the help popout in the application that they weren't counted the same.

HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Thread Information