Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Firefighter physicals

I'm looking for companies that could bid on the physicals for our fitness and wellness grant. Anyone know of any?

Forum Member

When I was doing ours, I just basically copied what was in the IAFF/IAFC Health and Wellness innititive and sent it to local occupation health physicians. You can use any Dr. but you want one that is going to be interested in the program and truly help your firefighters. Start interviewing and find out who is interested in it, have them do ride alongs so they know what our job entails.

Hope that helps

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

Any Occupational Health Clinic will work with you as well as any Sports Medicine Programs in your area. Sports Med folks are a little more hardcore on the physical side of things and that would be a great benefit. Trust me a Sports Med Doc is going to push you harder on meeting your specs than a GP.

Forum Member

I had success in the past by contacting local hospitals, utilizing their occupational health department to determine required content of physicals, estimated costs, etc. This worked better than just working with an individual doctor, due to accessibility to testing equipment, labs, etc., and a better understanding of job requirements, NFPA standards and related occupational health issues.

Forum Member

We used the Dr.s office for the physicals but for testing we used a trainer at the local gym that is qualified for the strength/endurance/flex tests. It was a little more complicated having it split up, but it was setup that the Dr.s did Dr. stuff and fitness guys did the fitness stuff.

Forum Member

I have found one company that will bring the needed equipment and staff on-site and conduct the physicals, which is more along the lines of what we're interested in. Going local would be ideal, but is cost prohibitive in our case. Our only real in state option is to go with the same company/hospital that conducts the state pension physicals.

Thread Information