Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Cool Is it really a good idea?

I agree with the basic concept, to a point.

All of that is fine and dandy until the time that little diesel engine fails to start.

From what I have seen of apparatus maintenance in my 30+ years, it will work just fine for a few months maybe even a year or so. Then, due to lack of maintenance, it will fail.

Then you have a $500,000 pumper or a $1,000,000 aerial sitting out of service waiting on a part for the IRT engine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hehateme View Post
    I agree with the basic concept, to a point.

All of that is fine and dandy until the time that little diesel engine fails to start.

From what I have seen of apparatus maintenance in my 30+ years, it will work just fine for a few months maybe even a year or so. Then, due to lack of maintenance, it will fail.

Then you have a $500,000 pumper or a $1,000,000 aerial sitting out of service waiting on a part for the IRT engine.
    More than likely it wouldn't take the truck out of service. You would just run it without the green mode. Many departments run diesel generators rather then hydraulic generators and they have proven to be quite reliable.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    That is our SOP. If it isn't needed, then it is shut down. Seen quite a few multiple alarm fires with rigs staged, and none of them running in the staging area. Only time they are, is during the winter for the engines to keep the water flowing and everything warm. Other than that, they are shut down.

FM1
    Some of you are missing what this has the potential of doing. Yes if it was as easy as just shutting the truck down then flip the switch and shut the truck off. What this does is if you are demanding the full pwer of the chassis engine, I.E. Driving down the road, pupm operations. then the main engine (Chassis will be the power source. However if you are staging, parked on the side of the road, or needing scene lights (A/C Power) then the smaller APU will be providing the power necessary for what is needed. The concept is based around needed power for the task at hand. No different than what engine manufacturers have tried to do for years. Cadillac was one of the first shutting down cylinders when traveling down highway. Class 8 manufcaturers have done this as well with variable horsepower. This is taking it to the next level with a separate engine.

As I have stated earlier this isn't for everyone however, calculate the fuel cost, maitenance costs, and it's easy to see cost advantages for high volume departments. Try thinking outside the box. If it was as simple as shutting off the engine why are all of the major players in the Fire Apparatus industry investing in this. They aren't reinventing the wheel, they are taking proven technologies and repackaging to meet the needs of the fire service.
    Last edited by furetruckguy30; 04-30-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: can't type

Thread Information