Forum Member

Had a December reduction and just got the DJ!

Forum Member

Got one for a vehicle, expected that one. Then I got one for our ops, received a deduction in December. Talk about being lost for words. This has been one very messed up year. They said that I didn't show finicial need. Used the same outline that I did for 08 and I won a 179,000 grant, and my numbers showed that we are in worse shape than the previous year. I just don't get it.

Forum Member

Found a truck that was reduced, and ended up with a computer DJ? Either someone in Grants Management can't read the right app numbers to make changes or something is really wrong up there and they're just blasting stuff out to get it done. The DJs are reading as lacking in one or more, and a few mention just one category so they're different wordings. But still at a loss how someone that had closeout issues got a DJ to that effect in 2007 (rightfully so, town manager ignored requests to fix for 4 months), an early Peer in 2008, then reductions and lacking DJ today. With 27 y/o SCBA in combination department with 600+ runs a year and 40+ structure fire average. Definitely one to wash away with choice beverages tonight while I clean the garage and the head at the same time....

Forum Member

At a loss on one of my vehicle DJs too. Late round 08 denial, no peer this year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Found a truck that was reduced, and ended up with a computer DJ? Either someone in Grants Management can't read the right app numbers to make changes or something is really wrong up there and they're just blasting stuff out to get it done. The DJs are reading as lacking in one or more, and a few mention just one category so they're different wordings. But still at a loss how someone that had closeout issues got a DJ to that effect in 2007 (rightfully so, town manager ignored requests to fix for 4 months), an early Peer in 2008, then reductions and lacking DJ today. With 27 y/o SCBA in combination department with 600+ runs a year and 40+ structure fire average. Definitely one to wash away with choice beverages tonight while I clean the garage and the head at the same time....
    Yep same here had abudget reduction on 15 SCBAs that were 15+ years and then DJ. Go figure. This is one for the books this year. Calling JD up for a date tonight.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Another one with 1992 manufacture date on all packs. And even another one, lacking only in the Financial Need explanation. Hmmm, 8 SCBA and a TIC for a total of $56,000 project, on an average budget of $18,000 all donations and fundraisers. Gee, I can't see why they haven't bought them in-house already either....

Forum Member

Default 1199a and 10q

Got 1199 and 10q. Not awarded yet. No DJ yet. Budget in grant app has been reduced by someone but 10q did not mention reduction. What does this mean. In, out, or ?

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    Started out like a ball of fire, but in the end crashed & burned big time.

6 Ops DJ's (2 were previous reductions)

11 Veh DJ's (3 others I don't have access, but it will go to 14)
    Heard that. The grants I did or helped with for other folks were funded. Mine got the big ole DJ this afternoon. What a way to start the weekend. Well now to the tune up shop I go.

Forum Member

At this point not even sure what my name is with things changing from what we were told was happening. Maybe it's the changes in the Matrix...

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, finally got to read the PDJ for the PPE grant that was previously reduced. What a bunch of BS. Based on how it is written; lacks compelling arguments in all 4 catergories. A reduced budget, but lacking in the narrative....talk about blowing smoke up someone's butt. No way that lacked in all 4 catergories.

It almost appears that their goal was to end this 2009 AFG now, by dumping all the DJ's at once...probably forgetting that some folks would actually read them.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Got equipment DJ today, still waiting to hear on my station construction grant....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    Wow, finally got to read the PDJ for the PPE grant that was previously reduced. What a bunch of BS. Based on how it is written; lacks compelling arguments in all 4 catergories. A reduced budget, but lacking in the narrative....talk about blowing smoke up someone's butt. No way that lacked in all 4 catergories.

It almost appears that their goal was to end this 2009 AFG now, by dumping all the DJ's at once...probably forgetting that some folks would actually read them.
    Don't feel bad, ours said we ranked high in all four categories with good infomrqation provided but we were still denied. Something does not seem right here. Maybe they had to take more funds out to pay for all of the screw ups with the software upgrades.

Forum Member

Kind of funny how well this grant was managed and operated until the big O took office.

Forum Member

Got our SCBA DJ, then our tanker DJ. To much for one man to handle. Diet be damed, where's my chocolate milkshake?

Forum Member

What I don't understand is this statement in our DJ letter. " The peer review panel's scores indicate that your application was generally good,
    but it was determined that your existing fleet of vehicles was sufficient to respond
    to your department's call volume."
    Fleet of vehicles?? We applied for a Air Refill Station only (50k-we currently do not have a re-fill station and have to drive anywhere from 5-10 miles one way to get our scba's re-filled), that's all. No vehicle... Can someone explain this one? I'm at a loss...

Forum Member

That is just proof of a major flaw in the denial process.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jjchief1 View Post
    What I don't understand is this statement in our DJ letter. " The peer review panel's scores indicate that your application was generally good,
    but it was determined that your existing fleet of vehicles was sufficient to respond
    Fleet of vehicles?? We applied for a Air Refill Station only (50k-we currently do not have a re-fill station and have to drive anywhere from 5-10 miles one way to get our scba's re-filled), that's all. No vehicle... Can someone explain this one? I'm at a loss...
    I had the same thing for a department that I helped with a tender. Your application was generally good but its was determined, etc. etc.

My operations grant for hose for my vol department said "This notice is to inform you that your 2009 application scored well at the peer review panels, but it was not processed because your request was satisfied via your 2008 AFG award."

However, we were denied in 2008 for our hose operations application! Somethings not right.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    That is just proof of a major flaw in the denial process.
    It is quite obvious there is some type of problem with the way these where processed. Also why would they have their very limited staff complete tech reviews and reductions right up to the very end on applications that they never intended on funding. The amount of applicants that had reductions and then received DJs is astounding.

Forum Member

I was having a crazy week anyway and now a DJ on equipment.

Not the way I wanted to start the weekend.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    Just to stir the conspiracy pot how did your folks vote on obamacare?
    I was thinking the same thing so I looked and the congressional districts in red have their share of the grants. It is almost like they are dumping this year’s grants and going to start fresh with the 010 grants. Maybe they have had enough of all the screw ups. If I am not wrong they have to spend what was appropriated for 09. But they could award a large amount of funds to some originations that really don’t have anything to do with firefighting. Like all of you it seems to be something screwy about this. Getting any kind of useful info from them is like pulling you wisdom teeth.

Forum Member

Angry

got our DJ today for extrication equipment.

Forum Member

Angry

We got our DJ for extrication equipment today

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jjchief1 View Post
    Check the grant # ref on it make sure it is not a mistake sent to you
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rands1 View Post
    Kind of funny how well this grant was managed and operated until the big O took office.
    That is one common denominator that has to be considered. As obscure as it seems to logic, you still cannont discount it. There may be more impact here than we know. Intentional or not.

Forum Member

Could it be that the computer has screwed up so bad that it is giving the awards to the dj's, and the awarded projects are getting the dj's? With such short man power that they have, maybe nobody has caught it, or doesn't want to fix it? Just a thought.

Thread Information