Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Check the grant # ref on it make sure it is not a mistake sent to you
    Just checked my grant app# and it's the same as in the dj they sent me. Got the dj on the online message center as well as my personal email. It would be nice if that was the screw up...I'm still confused...I hope maybe they can give some kind of explanation on this....

Forum Member

Angry DJ after 1199 in December

Well we lost the battle yesterday for a rehab trailer that we applied for. We had a 1199 post in December and now we got the DJ letter yesterday. What a disappointment after seeing the 1199 post and wait to hear more and now we find out that it is a DJ letter. O well I guess time to move on and hope 2010 AFG goes well.

MembersZone Subscriber

My turnout gear made it to peer review but not enough money, diesel exhaust removal computer rejected. Oh well. Now I know what I'm going to work on.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by daniels627 View Post
    Well we lost the battle yesterday for a rehab trailer that we applied for. We had a 1199 post in December and now we got the DJ letter yesterday. What a disappointment after seeing the 1199 post and wait to hear more and now we find out that it is a DJ letter. O well I guess time to move on and hope 2010 AFG goes well.

Let me get this right... You got an 1199 on an application - and then on the same application you got a DJ?

Forum Member

Someone else alluded to it, but is there any chance that the DJ's were a screw up with comedy of errors which has taken place this year? I find it difficult to believe they would consume the time to go in and do all of the manual reductions in the system and then turn around to DJ the application? The only thing that I could think of was they wanted the budgets corrected on those applications that made it through computer before they were peer reviewed? Seems rather time consuming though!

I guess I am grasping at straws, but I wonder in their haste to get the DJ's released, others were mistakenly pulled into the mix? Let's at least hope people!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thats my question. Too much work was done on many applications then they were turned down?

I realize it may be grasping at straws, but geesh.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Let me get this right... You got an 1199 on an application - and then on the same application you got a DJ?
    Ths is only the second time I have EVER heard of that happening. This has been the screwiest year I have ever seen in AFG since 2004. I am quite ure that AFG's phone willbe ringing off the hook fomr departments and Congressional reps onext week... I wonder what the repsonses will range from?
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Ths is only the second time I have EVER heard of that happening. This has been the screwiest year I have ever seen in AFG since 2004. I am quite ure that AFG's phone willbe ringing off the hook fomr departments and Congressional reps onext week... I wonder what the repsonses will range from?
    Definitely calling my Congressman...my DJ says I didn't provide enough cost-benefit information and I didn't explain how my project would benefit the daily operations of my department........

My project was a live-burn trailer for over 1,000 FF in a seven county area, with 150,000 citizens in that area. I even included the cost per person/ per use formulas, etc., in the app, had all my financial info, etc........I don't mind getting turned down. But I DO MIND being told I didn't do something that I DID do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Yes we had a new 1199 post back in December and now we got the DJ.

Forum Member

Got ours to damn it oh well Kurt might need your assistance brother.

Forum Member

Angry

We got our DJ friday for extrication equipment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BigFD14 View Post
    Got ours to damn it oh well Kurt might need your assistance brother.
    You know where to reach me!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Default Dj'ed

Well for the first time in 5 years, got the DJ for my Dept. Also Dj for and Engine for another dept. Funny thing is, thought my depts. application was weak, and it went through peer review, and the engine grant was strong, yet didnt make it to peer. Funny year for sure. Back to the drawing board.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by daniels627 View Post
    Yes we had a new 1199 post back in December and now we got the DJ.

Hey Sean, under the previous year's grants 1199A, is the Reference Award Number there yet for your 09 grant?

Just curious....

Forum Member

My email looked a little different. I'm having a hard time, I thought the narrative was really good, and everyone who reviewed it did too, so I'm not sure what I need to change. Anyone willing to look over it??

Dear Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program Applicant:

On behalf of the Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) Federal Emergency Management Agency
    (FEMA), thank you for applying for a grant under the Fiscal Year (FY) 2009 Assistance to Firefighters
    Grant (AFG) Program. As you are aware, the AFG is an extremely competitive program. In FY 2009, the
    Department received over 19,750 applications, requesting over $3.0 billion in Federal funds. This
    extremely high number of applications and finite amount of funding available resulted in many! worthy
    applicants not being funded. I regret to inform you that we will not be able to fund your AFG request
    for the FY 2009 program.

It is not possible for us to provide a detailed account of how each individual application was rated
    in the competitive process. However, we can tell you that your application was reviewed by a peer
    review panel. The panelists assigned scores to four elements of your application narrative: (1)
    clarity of the project description, (2) demonstration of financial need, (3) demonstration of
    benefits to be derived from the grant funds, and (4) effect on daily operations. The peer review
    panel's scores indicate that your application was generally lacking in sufficient and compelling
    information with respect to one or more of the four elements listed above. A full description of
    the application review process is included in the AFG Program Guidance.

The work alrea! dy done to support your FY 2009 AFG application could be a use! ful reso urce for any
    future requests for assistance that your department may submit. I encourage you to keep a copy of
    your application for your records. You may be able to use it as a reference for a future grant
    program, or even share it with your community as the basis for and outline of a strategic plan for
    the enhancement of your department. Please check our website often at www.firegrantsupport.com
    for information on the grant program and for future funding opportunities.

Your interest in this program clearly demonstrates the need and resourcefulness of America's fire
    service. DHS will continue to work closely with fire service organizations to support the vital
    work of our Nation's firefighters.

Thank you again for your dedication and commitment.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    Well, read my paragraph on scoring. THe first paragraph and the last paragraph were the same as yours, But look at the Bold area. FYI...I did have a reduction.

"A panel of your fire service peers reviewed your application. Using the information that you
    provided throughout your application, the panelists assigned scores to four elements of your application narrative: (1) clarity of the project description, (2) demonstration of financial need, (3) demonstration of benefits to be derived from the grant funds, and (4) effect on daily operations. The peer review panel's scores indicate that your application was generally good and above average in all four elements, i.e., there was some information that was useful, but it was not sufficiently compelling to be considered for funding on its written merits. A full description of the application review process is included in the AFG Program Guidance. "

That makes absolutely no sense to me. I do not know what to do. The the operation items and the vehicle we applied for this year were pretty much all of the needs we have. All gear, scbas, other equipment and vehicles are good. But the operations grant was to replace a now 11 year old TIC that we can not get fixed, a set of 35+ year old original Hurst that take an ox to use and home made wood cribbing. The Vehicle was to replace a 10 speed with split rear end homemade tanker that we made back in 1984. The tank is about to rust apart. Along with severely degraded wiring on the entire truck. The tanker didn't even make it to peer. Oh, what is meant by not sufficiently compelling. It made it past peer. What other compelling information is needed after that?

Now, we have been fortunate in the past. AFG has helped us tremedously and we would have bought a tanker this year but an engine blew up last year and it wasn't worth sinking more money into it so we had to replace it.
    Having received the same commentary in a previous years application , I can tell you that whats it's trying to tell you is: While you made a good case for funding your application it was sufficiently confusing to the reviewers that it didn't score high enough to make the cut.
    There were areas that probably made them wonder why. It could have left them with unanswered questions towards the need or financials, that were enough to deduct points.

Competitive means just that. You might have to score just one point higher than the next guy to be a winner, even though you may have similar numbers and needs. . Clarity in your narrative may be all that needs to be tweaked so that it doesn't leave those unanswered questions in the peer reviewers minds as they assign a score. They don't spend very much time with each app and need to know the who, what when & why in a clear concise method, without having to hunt for the answers.
    After having a few folks read our narrative , and making a few changes to clarify the app, it was submitted the next year and sailed through the process to award.

Forum Member

Well, read my paragraph on scoring. THe first paragraph and the last paragraph were the same as yours, But look at the Bold area. FYI...I did have a reduction.

"A panel of your fire service peers reviewed your application. Using the information that you
    provided throughout your application, the panelists assigned scores to four elements of your application narrative: (1) clarity of the project description, (2) demonstration of financial need, (3) demonstration of benefits to be derived from the grant funds, and (4) effect on daily operations. The peer review panel's scores indicate that your application was generally good and above average in all four elements, i.e., there was some information that was useful, but it was not sufficiently compelling to be considered for funding on its written merits. A full description of the application review process is included in the AFG Program Guidance. "

That makes absolutely no sense to me. I do not know what to do. The the operation items and the vehicle we applied for this year were pretty much all of the needs we have. All gear, scbas, other equipment and vehicles are good. But the operations grant was to replace a now 11 year old TIC that we can not get fixed, a set of 35+ year old original Hurst that take an ox to use and home made wood cribbing. The Vehicle was to replace a 10 speed with split rear end homemade tanker that we made back in 1984. The tank is about to rust apart. Along with severely degraded wiring on the entire truck. The tanker didn't even make it to peer. Oh, what is meant by not sufficiently compelling. It made it past peer. What other compelling information is needed after that?

Now, we have been fortunate in the past. AFG has helped us tremedously and we would have bought a tanker this year but an engine blew up last year and it wasn't worth sinking more money into it so we had to replace it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blue rival 2 View Post
    My email looked a little different. I'm having a hard time, I thought the narrative was really good, and everyone who reviewed it did too, so I'm not sure what I need to change. Anyone willing to look over it??

Dear Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program Applicant:

On behalf of the Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) Federal Emergency Management Agency
    (FEMA), thank you for applying for a grant under the Fiscal Year (FY) 2009 Assistance to Firefighters
    Grant (AFG) Program. As you are aware, the AFG is an extremely competitive program. In FY 2009, the
    Department received over 19,750 applications, requesting over $3.0 billion in Federal funds. This
    extremely high number of applications and finite amount of funding available resulted in many! worthy
    applicants not being funded. I regret to inform you that we will not be able to fund your AFG request
    for the FY 2009 program.

It is not possible for us to provide a detailed account of how each individual application was rated
    in the competitive process. However, we can tell you that your application was reviewed by a peer
    review panel. The panelists assigned scores to four elements of your application narrative: (1)
    clarity of the project description, (2) demonstration of financial need, (3) demonstration of
    benefits to be derived from the grant funds, and (4) effect on daily operations. The peer review
    panel's scores indicate that your application was generally lacking in sufficient and compelling
    information with respect to one or more of the four elements listed above. A full description of
    the application review process is included in the AFG Program Guidance.

The work alrea! dy done to support your FY 2009 AFG application could be a use! ful reso urce for any
    future requests for assistance that your department may submit. I encourage you to keep a copy of
    your application for your records. You may be able to use it as a reference for a future grant
    program, or even share it with your community as the basis for and outline of a strategic plan for
    the enhancement of your department. Please check our website often at www.firegrantsupport.com
    for information on the grant program and for future funding opportunities.

Your interest in this program clearly demonstrates the need and resourcefulness of America's fire
    service. DHS will continue to work closely with fire service organizations to support the vital
    work of our Nation's firefighters.

Thank you again for your dedication and commitment.
    Don't feel bad. I am sure there are several here who feel the same way. After thinking about it I'm inclined to agree with One Bugle. Time was running out, had to get something done so, well we all know the rest. The sad thing is there are departments who really need the help that aren't getting it. My department will survive without the grant, it's just frustrating to see how a program that is to be so proffessionally ran is so out of whack. Just think guys if we ran our departments this way how many of us would have the positions we have, or if your career, how many of you would have jobs. Time to put the crying towels away and get to work and try to make a more compelling story. It's A game time. Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    Just to stir the conspiracy pot how did your folks vote on obamacare?
    First I got the big wack-a-doo letter also. But since we are stirring the conspiracy pot a little........

States that voted Demo-rats in 08 $199,905,980 or 64.5%
    States that voted Republi-sins in 08 $110,497,098 or 35.5%

STIR, STIR, STIR, HAHAHA!!!!!!

Oh well maybe in 2010 if it ever starts.

MembersZone Subscriber

im out.....

Forum Member

Did any of those getting cost reductions actually get the 10Qs?

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post

provided throughout your application, the panelists assigned scores to four elements of your application narrative: (1) clarity of the project description, (2) demonstration of financial need, (3) demonstration of benefits to be derived from the grant funds, and (4) effect on daily operations. The peer review panel's scores indicate that your application was generally good and above average in all four elements, i.e., there was some information that was useful, but it was not sufficiently compelling to be considered for funding on its written merits. "

What I was trying to get across to you is while they said you scored well in all components: you didn't score high enough to make make the point of funding. That means that other departments apps also scored well & just a little higher than yours. It may not mean that your narrative was bad, just not as good as others in showing the compelling need for funding. You got by the computer on your numbers and demographics to be reviewed by a committee of your fire service peers that looked at all the info provided and your narrative and scored it accordingly.
    While it was good in all areas , it didn't score high enough to make the funding cut.

Have someone from outside the department such as a school teacher or banker in town read the narrative and ask them if they understand clearly the message you were trying to get across to the peer reviewers. We have a high school english teacher and a business professional proof read our apps for clarity and a "non fire perspective".

What makes perfect sense to us maybe a little confusing to an outsider that doesn't know your dept or it's needs. We need to make that easy to understand and answer any questions in the narrative that might pop into the reviewers mind as they read it.

Hope this helps you understand the process.
    Don't give up on the program it does pay off if you keep working at it.

Just so you know, I assisted a dept that had been DJ'd for 5 straight years on an ops grant. They weren't following the format given in the Program guidance as they had a municipal grant writer doing their apps. Once they changed their format to follow the rules they were an early round award with the same app that had dj'd previously .
    What works fine for one program , won't work for another. Read & reread the PG and follow it religiously.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jdlowndes View Post
    im out.....
    JD; donít give up man. It is just a game. In order to win you have to play. In the 010 grants you may get that equipment you need and it will be worth the headaches. This year was screwed from the start so you may have a winning app. and it wasnít something you did wrong on it. Read over it make some changes if need be and send it back in. Tried three years in a row for our Communication grant. I sent it back in again this year and got it. You have to try!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I would be very interested to know if any department that has already received an award, also got a DJ letter by mistake this year. That fact, should it bear out true, would be pretty undeniable that there is a flaw in this system.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

We were told there are 12 versions of turn down notices this year because in past years the applicants have requested more detail regarding their application.

Thread Information