Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Equipment DJs are out

Received our reduction the week before Christmas and no movement since. Just received this DJ

Dear Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program Applicant:

On behalf of the Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) Federal Emergency Management Agency
    (FEMA), thank you for applying for a grant under the Fiscal Year (FY) 2009 Assistance to Firefighters
    Grant (AFG) Program. As you are aware, the AFG is an extremely competitive program. In FY 2009, the
    Department received over 19,750 applications, requesting over $3.0 billion in Federal funds. This
    extremely high number of applications and finite amount of funding available resulted in many! worthy
    applicants not being funded. I regret to inform you that we will not be able to fund your AFG request
    for the FY 2009 program.

A panel of your fire service peers reviewed your application. Using the information that you
    provided throughout your application, the panelists assigned scores to four elements of your
    application narrative: (1) clarity of the project description, (2) demonstration of financial
    need, (3) demonstration of benefits to be derived from the grant funds, and (4) effect on daily
    operations. The peer review panel's scores indicate that your application was generally good
    except for the lack of sufficiently compelling information on the project's cost-benefit. A
    full description of the application review process is included in the AFG Program Guidance.

The work already done to support your FY 2009 AFG application could be a useful resource for any !
    future requests for assistance that your department may ! submit. I encourage you to keep a copy of
    your application for your records. You may be able to use it as a reference for a future grant
    program, or even share it with your community as the basis for and outline of a strategic plan for
    the enhancement of your department. Please check our website often at www.firegrantsupport.com
    for information on the grant program and for future funding opportunities.

Your interest in this program clearly demonstrates the need and resourcefulness of America's fire
    service. DHS will continue to work closely with fire service organizations to support the vital
    work of our Nation's firefighters.

Thank you again for your dedication and commitment.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth M. Harman, Assistant Administrator Grant Programs Directorate

cc: Chief, Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program Office
    Director, Grants Management Division

Sorry to hear you got a reduction and then denied.

The DJs are trickling. None on portal yet. I have two new clients for 2010 who got 2009 denials about 10 minutes apart.

Forum Member

Goes contrary to a lot of statements from a lot of higher food chain folks at DHS with the reductions being signs of funding. Wonder if there wasn't another scoring issue that changed the outcomes after they started moving...

MembersZone Subscriber

When they talk about the project's cost-benefit, what are the guidelines? Are they only looking at calls in the district or do they allow mutual aid work to count ?

The cost/benefit is a required section of the narrative.

As far as reductions vs. awards, just got an e-mail for a reduced application which was denied.

MembersZone Subscriber

The week before Christmas I noticed a reduction in our overall budget from the original $77,181 down to $72,303. They reduced the HRT pump to $7,500, HRT cutter to $5,000, TIC to $9,000, RIT Pack to $3,500 and Helmets to $200 with all other items left as originally budgeted for with nothing zeroed out.

Apparently we made it to peer review however I find it hard to understand with the volume of applications and workload that that someone in tech review would be assigned to review and reduce our budget when they had no intention on funding it.

Forum Member

Angry Reduced then DENIED

I also had reductions and just got a DJ letter. Gonna be a bummer to explain to the guys after I told them a reduction was a good sign ugh

Forum Member

Default ????????

Question, did you contact your congressman's office at anytime about the delays in the program?

Quote Originally Posted by ejfeicht View Post
    Apparently we made it to peer review however I find it hard to understand with the volume of applications and workload that that someone in tech review would be assigned to review and reduce our budget when they had no intention on funding it.
    That would certainly make sense to the rest of us as well. However, it is also possible that initial reductions were overturned and/or successfully appealed cutting into the funding for additional awards.

I just successfully appealed a $20,000 reduction last week, so it's certainly possible.

Forum Member

I can't imagine appeals changing that much, we had 60 showing reductions, many as recent as last month. Some from a while ago which is my wonder about a scoring issue changing the outcomes.

MembersZone Subscriber

just recieved a dj in my email

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    I can't imagine appeals changing that much, we had 60 showing reductions, many as recent as last month. Some from a while ago which is my wonder about a scoring issue changing the outcomes.
    Not sure about a scoring change...i was told by the program office back in february that although 2 of our applications were showing reductions, their overall scores were borderline and they may or may not get funded...

both got dumped today...

Forum Member

Exclamation

Why does this one feel worse than the one in the past? I have never been aggravated before about a DJ but this one, especially after the reduction, really aggravates me.

Now all I can hope for is an excess funds possibility.

Well so much for logic.... go figure! At least we all know now or will within a few hours.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Unless it mentioned "if funds become available" then that's not a worry for you.

Vehicle denials are coming now too.

This year went totally opposite from what I expected but still successful. Was awarded vehicle that I thought was a long shot in round 1 and got denied on ops that I thought was a very well written request. Guess I will tweak on the ops grant and submit it again.

Forum Member

Reduction in February to 80k and a DJ today in e-mail that said it made it as far as peer review. At least we had an opportunity to apply and thank you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by hfdfiremedic32 View Post
    This year went totally opposite from what I expected but still successful. Was awarded vehicle that I thought was a long shot in round 1 and got denied on ops that I thought was a very well written request. Guess I will tweak on the ops grant and submit it again.
    Craig sorry to hear that guy. Call me!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Angry

I was afraid I was going to get yet another Dear John this year.... surprise surprise! This year I got a Turndown.

Last year was a waste as I went for a vehicle, knowing that our fleet age was going to work against us. This year was different, an SCBA upgrade to get to the latest pack rev and replacing all of our bottles that will be defunct in 2011. After figuring out the project cost benefit comparison in another thread at around $0.50 while other projects are being pushed at $1.05 as possible, it is obvious that I need to attend a class.

Brian

They are landing inthe online email apps as well.
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information