Forum Member

Default Vehicle DJs also

I got mine and already asked why i was denied.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got mine also.

Made it to peer review in 2008, but apparently not in 2009... Sixth time applying for the same vehicle...guess we'll saddle up and try again for 2010

Forum Member

I got my DJ also.
    Blandford Fire Department
    93 Main Street
    Blandford, Ma 01008

Forum Member

Just got ours. Fourth year to be rejected by the d@mn computer.

We were trying for a new engine at Station 2 to replace the 1967 Seagrave.

Sorry, but it reinforces my belief that the AFG is a bunch of BS designed to get money into the hands of the city departments that already have multi-million dollar budgets. You see where they're getting the grants, but a small rural department that covers 200 sq. miles and app. 300 calls a year on a budget of app. $100k gets NOTHING year after year.

Thanks FEMA, big FRAKING thanks for NOTHING, yet AGAIN!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

just got my vech dj did not make it to peer review

Forum Member

I just got mine also. I was advised that I would automatically get to peer review. I guess that info was inaccurate.

Kurt, I need a little help with this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by simpleguy68 View Post

Sorry, but it reinforces my belief that the AFG is a bunch of BS designed to get money into the hands of the city departments that already have multi-million dollar budgets. You see where they're getting the grants, but a small rural department that covers 200 sq. miles and app. 300 calls a year on a budget of app. $100k gets NOTHING year after year.

What's even more infuriating is when the big city departments get huge grants, even with multi-million dollar budgets and paid grant writers who make it rain with FEMA.

MembersZone Subscriber

I understand your frustration, but I'm a department of 75 sq. miles, 3,300 population that runs about 250 calls and we've been successful. We've managed just under $550K through the program, including two apparatus.

It's not just the big departments getting the money. I'm sure others would be more than willing to do the same, but if you ever want anyone to have a look at your narrative and offer any recommendations, I'm always more than happy to try to help someone out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Durn. 3 DJ's. All made it past the computer, but failed in peer.

Even the PPE grant that got a reduction.

Want to meet grouchy?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    I just got mine also. I was advised that I would automatically get to peer review. I guess that info was inaccurate.

Kurt, I need a little help with this.
    Read that turn down - this included peer review turn downs.

How does a vehicle make it automatically though?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default to JAM24

Who told you it was an automatic for peer review? If it was a reliable source, how long ago were you told that?

Forum Member

3rd time rejected for a tanker (water tender) Will be interested in finding out why... Since the vehicle has mechanical problems, it is not called mutual aid, and we hold it back unless absolutely needed... Oh well, at least the 30 year old attack hose is being replaced thanks to AFG, even if the 33 year old tanker isn't...

Forum Member

Default Sshhh 49

be very, very quiet, ranting and raving in public can be detrimental to getting grants.

As I have been told, don't bite the hand that feeds you!

But..... I was good this year (no rantings about some states getting what statistically appears to be more than their share) and I still got dj'd.

Oh well have next year, taking headsets out of my ops grant and just going water supply.

I was 4 for 4 (tanker, radios, scba, PPE, Washer/Extractor, cascade, fill station), now I'm in a slump and 4 for 6.
    Last edited by mitchkrat; 04-16-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Forum Member

We are a district covering an entire rural with no towns in district and a tax income of 65K. We run 60-80 calls per year including medicals. We are sitting past the 1199 and 10q after negotiating reductions. Small places can get funding, you just have tweak to the right combo.

We should all be thankful for the opportunity to have the fire service enhanced. I too was once frustrated with big money going to big department/districts/companies. The fact is some of these companies use this equipment a heck of a lot more than a lot of us do. We all need adequate ppe and equipment, but afg has determined these larger departments would receive a better return on the use of the equipment.
    Last edited by drakescrossing; 04-16-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I understand your frustration, but I'm a department of 75 sq. miles, 3,300 population that runs about 250 calls and we've been successful. We've managed just under $550K through the program, including two apparatus.

It's not just the big departments getting the money. I'm sure others would be more than willing to do the same, but if you ever want anyone to have a look at your narrative and offer any recommendations, I'm always more than happy to try to help someone out.
    Well, this last application went through Brian Vickers, so I'm hoping everything was good. But the narrative only applies if you get past the computer, which we can't seem to do.

And, sorry to pick on you, but your department is the reason I can't seem to figure out FEMA's rhyme or reason on these grants. You cover a third the area I do, with half the population, and about the same number of calls but with four times the budget. Yet you've gotten two apparatus grants while the best we've done was PPE (I believe 10 sets) 6-7 years ago.

Not running down you OR your FD, but it sure makes me question exactly what the h&ll FEMA's computer's criteria is...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by drakescrossing View Post
    We are a district covering an entire rural with no towns in district and a tax income of 65K. We run 60-80 calls per year including medicals. We are sitting past the 1199 and 10q after negotiating reductions. Small places can get funding, you just have tweak to the right combo.
    If you throw in medicals, we're at nearly 500 calls per year. We're also completely rural. I've seen other, smaller FDs that cover a lot smaller area and a lot fewer calls get grants, but it seems if you're in a certain size range, it's d@mn difficult to get grants.

That's the flip side of the coin, in that the dirt poor departments seem to be getting the grants along with city FDs, just not those "middle class" FDs... oh wait, maybe I just figured something out ;-)

If you don't mind me asking, what did you get awarded for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitchkrat View Post
    be very, very quiet, ranting and raving in public can be detrimental to getting grants.

As I have been told, don't bite the hand that feeds you!

But..... I was good this year (no rantings about some states getting what statistically appears to be more than their share) and I still got dj'd.

Oh well have next year, taking headsets out of my ops grant and just going water supply.

I was 4 for 4 (tanker, radios, scba, PPE, Washer/Extractor, cascade, fill station), now I'm in a slump and 4 for 6.
    What hand that feeds you? They need to feed us occassionally... it's like the dog you let starve, it tends to snap when you walk by the cage and tease it.

I'm to the point that I saying SCREW IT. We'll just keep doing what we've been doing all these years, and we'll get by.

But God help any stuffed shirt politician (local, state, OR federal) that asks us how we're doing or mentions ANYTHING about grants.

What's bad is seeing departments that are NIMS compliant in name only, that don't report to NFIRS, and have NO training program to speak of, get grants.
    Last edited by simpleguy68; 04-16-2010 at 04:29 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default HUmm

Got the e-mail but made it to per review, then I read the part that they think out current fleet is adequate, what about getting the 3 old and non nfpa complient veh off the road and replaceing them with one truck, actually dropping the net fleet number. Looks like they had math help from the administration on the hill.

Forum Member

What's "old?"

Forum Member

*$&%**%%$ You no what I mean. Looks like I didn't even get to have anybody even read it.

Dear Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program Applicant:

On behalf of the Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) Federal Emergency Management Agency
    (FEMA), thank you for applying for a grant under the Fiscal Year (FY) 2009 Assistance to Firefighters
    Grant (AFG) Program. As you are aware, the AFG is an extremely competitive program. In FY 2009, the
    Department received over 19,750 applications, requesting over $3.0 billion in Federal funds. This
    extremely high number of applications and finite amount of funding available resulted in m! any worthy
    applicants not being funded. I regret to inform you that we will not be able to fund your AFG request
    for the FY 2009 program.

Your application was not among those that were selected for the second phase of competitive review.
    Those applications that best address AFG?s established funding priorities for each eligible activity
    are forwarded to peer review. Information explaining these priorities was published in the FY 2009
    Program Guidance, which is posted on the AFG Website at www.firegrantsupport.com. If you would like
    a more detailed account of how your application was rated, please register your request at
    www.firegrantsupport.com/turndowns within 30 days of this notice. FEMA will respond to these
    requests in the order in which they are received.

Regardless of the cause of your denial, the work already done to support your FY 2009 AFG application
    could be a useful resource for an! y future requests that your organization develops. I encourage! you < BR>to keep a copy of your application for your records. You may be able to use it as a reference for a
    future grant program, or even share it with your community as the basis for and outline of a
    strategic plan for the enhancement of your department or organization. Please check the AFG
    Website often at www.firegrantsupport.com for information on the grant program and for future
    funding opportunities.

Your interest in the AFG clearly demonstrates the need and resourcefulness of America's fire
    and emergency medical services. The Department of Homeland Security will continue to support and
    work closely with the Nation's first responder community and its vital work.

Thank you again for your dedication and commitment.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth M. Harman, Assistant Administrator!
    Grant Programs Directorate

cc: Chief, Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program Office
    Director, Grants Management Division

The only thing that I do know about my grant application, we must have a very safe district to live in, because a low call volume sure don't help is this program. I guess others have different fires than we do. I always thought fire burnt the same.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lfdmichael View Post
    Who told you it was an automatic for peer review? If it was a reliable source, how long ago were you told that?
    Sshhh! March 2nd around 8:30am.

Forum Member

Talking

We're a small rural dept.. doing 250 calls per year[150 EMS] with a population of <2000
    To date we're 4 for 7 with AFG and a SAFER R&R along with another dozen smaller local/regional foundation grants for equipment over the last ten years. The secret to winning is writing the very best application that meets the highest priority items of the grant your going for. Also spend some time getting educated on how to write successful grant apps.

Everyone wants a new truck ,but the reality is that less than one in 20 that apply even get to peer review for apparatus. If your not getting by the computer scoring , then maybe your requesting too big a $$$$ amount to make the cost benefit workable.

If you have written an app 6 times for replacing the same vehicle then there is a reason it's not getting scored high enough to be a winner. Time to re-evaluate.
    Just because you want to replace an old vehicle doesn't means it meets the priorities of the program guidelines. If it's your only engine and not reliable then you may have a strong argument, if it's your third engine and the others are newer then you might not even get by the computer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Found 3 DJ's today

I found (2) computer DJ's on vehicle grants and 1 Ops PEER review DJ today. Still 1 vehicle application with nothing and 1 EMS PPE application with nothing?

Forum Member

I guess this is the area of DJ bar. No, I'm not going to cry because of issues with the chief at my former station, (he told everybody that I resigned, which is not the truth) but anyway since I did write their grant application. Today, I received the electronic DJ notice but I'm not sure if I should pass it along because I really don't talk to anybody at my former station. Oh well, I think by now they have figured it out that they were not going to get the grant since they decided to buy a new engine on their own. All that hard work for nothing twice over. Oh well, congradulations to those who did obtain a grant, and maybe next year I'll get a bit more lucky.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got mine today also. Put my heart ans soul into the narrative.
    Now if they just read it I might have a chance.

Bright sign is I did get our local grant for headsets for trucks.Downside is where to found any metal left to mount it.

Just be glad 2012 is right around the corner. j/k

Thread Information