Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Stick a fork in it, I am done.

Stick a fork in it, I am done. For the 09 grants anyway. Got my DJ on the station grant first of the week and got my DJ for the truck today. This has been one roller coaster ride this year. The application that I just throw together at the last minute got awarded in the first round. The ones that I put my heart, soul and a lot of time got shot down. Looks like it is back to the drawing board for me, I guess.
    I am not complaining mine you, I have been fortunate. I did at least get a $64,000 communication grant but you got to feel for the ones that tried real hard and did the best they could only to get nothing but a DJ. It is got to be disheartened. Even though you get everything just right on the app. you still get shot down. With the funds they got to work with everyone canít get awarded.
    Good luck to the ones that are still waiting. Hang in there. Maybe you will hear something soon at least before the 010 opens.

Forum Member

I wonder if all the Station Grant DJ's/turndowns have been sent. I will probably get one after I post this, but so far I haven't seen one. Any ideas?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfire1156 View Post
    I wonder if all the Station Grant DJ's/turndowns have been sent. I will probably get one after I post this, but so far I haven't seen one. Any ideas?
    Obama wants to show he's cutting government to the Tea Partiers?

Truly Andy, this year anything and I mean anything could happen!

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Obama wants to show he's cutting government to the Tea Partiers?

Truly Andy, this year anything and I mean anything could happen!
    Good evening Jim; Hope your family is doing well. It is a beautiful day here in central Alabama. It is in the middle 80ís lots of sun but to be our rainy season it is beginning to get a little dry. The farmers that have seeds in the ground are getting worried.
    Just wanted to check in and see whatís going on in the grant world today. It looks like a lot of people are ****ed off about the DJís. I feel their frustration but no need to sweat the things you have no control over. It has been four years since I got an award until this year. Yes I would love to have replaced our old platform but I will take what I can get. I started out with nothing so I didnít lose anything but my time.
    That is kind like life. You canít really enjoy living until you realize you are already dead. Itís just a question of when. No need for them to get mad because they canít understand the reasoning behind AFGís denial. It may not be one. It could be only a word or sentence in the narrative. Could be anything or really nothing wrong at all. Maybe they have had enough of the screw ups and scrapping the whole thing and starting fresh on the 010 grants. Who knows? If everyone knew the answer then every app. would get awarded. After everyone cools down they are going to do just like me. Saddle back up and go at it again.
    This year was a screw up from the word go. Donít know who to blame but as always the buck stops at the top. The big O. same as in our FD here. Anything goes wrong they look at me and that is just the way it is.
    Do you still have any application in limbo or are you like me, done for this year?

Talking

Bravo DFD:
    Those words are the exact attitude that we all should follow in the grants business. Some times you win & some time you don't! Just keep doing the best you can and in the end it all works out.

And I too must echo that sentiment folks. Get over it and get on with it! Turn your efforts into 2010 right now, don't delay. Bellyaching does not get the job done; there are winners and losers in every competition and that is what this is. You just gotta do the best you can and hope for the best, plain and simple. I had a handful of losers this year but, still had 3/4 of the clients get at least one grant so I, and they, are not complaining. Just gotta be persistent and try again. The students are am still holding an 80% success rate so education and knowledge of the program is still your best ally.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    Good evening Jim; Hope your family is doing well. It is a beautiful day here in central Alabama. It is in the middle 80ís lots of sun but to be our rainy season it is beginning to get a little dry. The farmers that have seeds in the ground are getting worried.
    Just wanted to check in and see whatís going on in the grant world today. It looks like a lot of people are ****ed off about the DJís. I feel their frustration but no need to sweat the things you have no control over. It has been four years since I got an award until this year. Yes I would love to have replaced our old platform but I will take what I can get. I started out with nothing so I didnít lose anything but my time.
    That is kind like life. You canít really enjoy living until you realize you are already dead. Itís just a question of when. No need for them to get mad because they canít understand the reasoning behind AFGís denial. It may not be one. It could be only a word or sentence in the narrative. Could be anything or really nothing wrong at all. Maybe they have had enough of the screw ups and scrapping the whole thing and starting fresh on the 010 grants. Who knows? If everyone knew the answer then every app. would get awarded. After everyone cools down they are going to do just like me. Saddle back up and go at it again.
    This year was a screw up from the word go. Donít know who to blame but as always the buck stops at the top. The big O. same as in our FD here. Anything goes wrong they look at me and that is just the way it is.
    Do you still have any application in limbo or are you like me, done for this year?
    Of course I am soldiering on in the grant writing world. I am still involved in the politics of the area even after November of '08. What else am I gonna do? I have to go to Kurts summits just to see if he's gonna make it snow there.
    Actually I had my best year ever. Though I am very concerned for the rural volunteer departments future. Our President and his USFA appointee said in his first official acceptance speech said they were going to concentrate on funding to the career departments . Primarily to the urban areas. Most of us got his intent. Dr. Carter warned it was coming. So we gotta work the back channels and 'change the change'.

The USFA revealed two years ago that most of the rural areas have more emergency calls per thousand population than the higher populations per sq. mile urban centers. There are many demographics like that that need to be used and are not. We are aware that there is a movement to consolidate volunteer departments to combination ones. There will be more problems with that between local governments and then them with its residents.

So I gotta stay here and advise as I see it.

Till I move outa here that is and get back to the blue saltwater and pull dark purple plastics in the early mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Of course I am soldiering on in the grant writing world. I am still involved in the politics of the area even after November of '08. What else am I gonna do? I have to go to Kurts summits just to see if he's gonna make it snow there.
    Actually I had my best year ever. Though I am very concerned for the rural volunteer departments future. Our President and his USFA appointee said in his first official acceptance speech said they were going to concentrate on funding to the career departments . Primarily to the urban areas. Most of us got his intent. Dr. Carter warned it was coming. So we gotta work the back channels and 'change the change'.

The USFA revealed two years ago that most of the rural areas have more emergency calls per thousand population than the higher populations per sq. mile urban centers. There are many demographics like that that need to be used and are not. We are aware that there is a movement to consolidate volunteer departments to combination ones. There will be more problems with that between local governments and then them with its residents.

So I gotta stay here and advise as I see it.

Till I move outa here that is and get back to the blue saltwater and pull dark purple plastics in the early mornings.
    That blue saltwater wouldnít happen to be the Gulf of Mexico would it? Ether you told me or I read where you are from but I forgot. I know you hate snow and that sounds like a southern.
    I think everyone or at least people around here have had enough of change. If you read any of my post you could probably guess that I voted for Ross Perot in 92. Everything he said about NAFTA has come true. I remember back then people thought he was crazy but he made sense to me and still does whenever he makes a rare speech these days.

On the subject of the AFG grants we may not ever find out what went wrong this year. Plainly something happened this week to change the way the grants has been awarded and turn downed. About a week ago I was told that I had done my grant backwards. You are supposed to bid the equipment out, get it in with an invoice and then ask for the money to be transferred to the bank. I am glad I did it the way I did because it may not have been there when I needed it. The way things were going this year I didnít want to wait and take a chance. I like to know the money is in the bank before I spend it.

I would love to see our government work that way instead of getting us so far in debt that we will never get the Chinese paid off. I worry about our kids wondering how or if they will have the same opportunities we had. It is going to be hard for them. The dollar is not going to be worth anything. If people don't know how or have a place to grow their own food then we havenít seen anything yet. You let someoneís family get hungry and there is nothing they want do to feed their kids. The only power I have to change it is in my vote.

I really want to go ahead and retire and let them have it here. Go to the farm and not come back to town unless I really need something bad but until I see what this healthcare thing is going to do for me that is all on a hold. Got to get out of here. You have a good one Jim.

Thread Information