Thread: Fdny

Forum Member

Default Fdny

Hello. Ive decided that i wanted to be a career firefighter. i been a volly for over 3 years now and have alot of training and even more by the time the test comes. Does any one have any advise for the test and fitness. Im trying to follow the one posted on-line but i dont have a real gym at my fire house so its hard to get everything in. what kind of questions are on the test? and will any of my previous training count tords anything?

stay safe
    M.Brown

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lifeline8906 View Post
    Hello. Ive decided that i wanted to be a career firefighter. i been a volly for over 3 years now and have alot of training and even more by the time the test comes. Does any one have any advise for the test and fitness. Im trying to follow the one posted on-line but i dont have a real gym at my fire house so its hard to get everything in. what kind of questions are on the test? and will any of my previous training count tords anything?

stay safe
    M.Brown

You would have a better chance if you are a resident of New York City and a Veteran of the US Armed Forces!! Residence and Veteran points separate those who get in and those who don't.

Not sure of your age, but you have maybe one chance to get high enough on the list to be considered to be hired. You have to score better than most places and that is about 95.

You would probably have a better chance getting on a hiring list with most other departments.

Good luck either way.

Also check the section in this forum on Hiring and Employment and look for the FDNY thread.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97154 (Fdny List 6019)

Forum Member

their giving a written test January 2011. City residents get an extra 5 points added to written score. Veterans also get 5 to their total score I believe. Gotta do very well to have a shot. you'll be competing against almost 25,000 applicants. Get the barrons FF exam book and go over that.

the last test they gave: http://documents.nytimes.com/new-yor...aminations#p=1

very controversial test. they have only hired like 300 off this list so far and its almost up.

the physical is the CPAT exam. look into it. its not as easy as some people think. As long as your in cardiovascular shape, have been lifting some weights, and really want it you can pass it no problem. Your previous training will not help you in any way in getting on the job. It will help you when you get on the job a bit. But we do a lot of things different then everywhere else. We want you to learn our way of doing it! Good luck!!

Forum Member

if you are going to take the test, get residency. Those 5 points can put a couple thousand people ahead of you or behind you.

Forum Member

Nevermind this post.
    Last edited by FFbg; 04-20-2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Decided this was irrelevant

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lifeline8906 View Post

stay safe
    M.Brown

M. BROWN -------

First of all, the FDNY cares less what certifications, training or affiliation of a department that you may have. If is not theirs they don't care.

They are looking for very high scorers on their exams and those who have the ability to pass their courses and become a probationary fireman.

Living in the city gives you extra points. Be a veteran gives you extra points.

Already these guys are ahead of you right out of the box.

If you don't get hired right off the first exam you take and very few do, then depending on how long the list is held and hired from, you may have one more chance to get on a list high enough to even be considered for a job.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information