Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: units to a MVA?

Forum Member

Default units to a MVA?

how many units do you send to a MVA with injury? is there a protocol for how many units you call out or does it depend on the situation?

MembersZone Subscriber

The county has dispatch standards for a MVA. These accidents get 1 heavy rescue squad or rescue engine and 2 ambulances. Each of the ambulances comes from a different department. If the accident is reported serious, it gets a medic unit and an additional heavy rescue squad.

Depends on the situation and location.

Minimum is at least a Med Unit and an Engine. Possible trapped victim(s) and roll-overs get a Truck and a Rescue dispatched as well.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

MVC: 1 engine - 1 light rescue - 1 ambulance

MVC with posible entrapment: 1 engine - 1 light rescue - 1 heavy rescue - 1 ambulance

MVC with fire: 2 engines - 1 light rescue - 1 heavy rescue - 1 ambulance

MembersZone Subscriber

Depends on the type of MVA, available units and the info the dispatcher receives. Just a small fender bender with an "injury" (check-out) will only get an engine and ambulance. MVAs requiring extrication will usually get an engine, the rescue, battalion chief and an ambulance. First unit that gets on-scene of course assumes command and sizes-up the scene and will then disregard or request further units to better suit incident. Seldom do the dispatched apparatus actually match what ends up tending to the MVA.

MembersZone Subscriber

Depends... on what the 911 caller says, where incident is, what units are in their station or local, etc.

We have two classes - MVC (minor) and MVA (major). MVC will get just a medic or maybe a medic and a FRC (Engine or ladder). MVA will get a medic, FRC engine, ladder (BVR tools), Rescue or Squad (SOC = BVR tools+kitchen sink), and chief.

Highways and some of our other busier streets will get medic, FRC Engine, and also a ladder (safety company) automatically, then maybe upgraded to MVA.

First on scene report, any report of entrapment automatically gets an EMCO (and MVA if not already). Of course they can request whatever else they need, additional medics, additional SOC, etc...
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

MembersZone Subscriber

Being a volunteer department it first depends on the amount of people that show up and then it depends on the situation. A typical response includes an engine and a rescue and if man power permits an ems/utility truck. The ems/utility truck can go direct to the scene for additional ems supplies and man power or assume traffic control for the area. The engine will typically wait until 2 EMT's are on board so the EMT's split up to cover the patients if more than 1 is present. The officer and hopefully 2 other firefighters assume stablization of cars, control of fluids (gas, oil, etc), as well as securing the cars. The rescue provides any additional man power needed and additional backboards/ems supplies. This response is the safest to insure that the proper amount of people/supplies are on scene but I do not consider it the most effective because it can put too many people on a small scene.

Forum Member

PG County

Accident under 45MPH Zone- 1 Suppression Unit & Ambulance

Accident under 45MPH Zone w/Rollover- 1 Suppression Unit, Ambulance, Heavy Rescue Squad

Accident over 45MPH Zone- 1 Suppression Unit, Ambulance, Heavy Rescue Squad

Accident over 45MPH Zone w/Rollover- 1 Suppression Unit, Ambulance, Heavy Rescue Squad

Accident under 45MPH Zone w/Entrapment or Ejection- 1 Suppression Unit, Ambulance, Heavy Rescue Squad, Medic Unit, EMS Duty Officer, Battalion Chief

Accident over 45MPH Zone w/Entrapment or Ejection- 1 Suppression Unit, Ambulance, Heavy Rescue Squad, Medic Unit, EMS Duty Officer, Battalion Chief

Accident on Interstate (I-495, RT-50)

2 Suppression Units, 1 Heavy Rescue Squad, 2 Ambulances

Accident on Interstate w/entrapment or ejection- 2 Suppression Units, 1 Heavy Rescue Squad, 2 Ambulances, Medic Unit, EMS Duty Officer, Battalion Chief

EMS Task Force- 2 Ambulances, 1 Medic Unit, EMS Duty Officer, Safety Officer

In PG County we do run Paramedic Ambulances out of stations 26, 40, 41, 42, 55 so if an Ambulance is due in each of their run areas, they will run the PA

for example, Crain Highway/Brandywine Road, reported Personal Injury Accident with entrapment, one of fire and ejection

Rescue Engine 840, Paramedic Ambulance 840, Engine 836, Medic 825, EMS 814, Battalion Chief 807

for us it is Medic, Rescue Engine, Engine, Medic
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Heavy rescue and two engines. The second engine is really just for personnel and blocking the road.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Typical MVA Response

one - Two man para-medic quick response rescue squad.
    one - Para-medic engine company for blocking, man power and suppresion if needed.
    one + Ambulance(s) as needed.
    two - PD units for traffic control, investigation, etc.
    Extraction - Rescue Squad to help the Para-medic engine company and a battalion officer.
    Life-Flight Helo as determined by the Bat. Officer
    Last edited by donethat; 04-20-2010 at 02:52 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default MVA Response

I'm on a volunteer fire department and an MVA generally gets atleast a Rescue and an Engine (plus 2 county medics, Sheriffs Office, State Police, Etc.). During the daytime this is usually accomplished with mutual aid - if its in "our" area we'll take a rescue and they (mutual aid) will bring an engine and vice-versa. During the evening and night time hours we usually have a enough personnel for an Engine and Rescue (and then some maybe). This is the bare minimum we try to go for because with any volunteer fire department you never know what you're going to get.

For all MVA's, the run card appears as:

Rescue 1 1st Due

Engine 1 2nd Due unless involving fire then its 1st Due.

Rescue 2 3rd Due IF the incident calls for further resources. Rescue 2's response is dictated by the crew coming into the station. If its confirmed entrapment or serious injury the truck will roll. If its unsure, or just a simple roll over or slide off it will hold in quarters. Also if the crew in house is unsure if its needed, they will contact command and inform them of the crew in house and ask if they require more resources.

Of course if its a large incident the second Engine Company may roll, or the Brush truck to assist with traffic control. Our Chief is also really good at calling in another set of Jaws if we do have serious entrapment.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber NathanWert's Avatar

Depends.

If the vehicle is in the road or leaking fluids we send at least one engine and the support van (which carries a lot of extra supplies).

If it's a multi vehicle accident we'll send both engines, the support van, and as many ambulances as needed.

If it's a minor accident and the vehicles aren't in the way we'll just send an ambulance.

It really depends on the severity of the accident and the location.

We've gone with just one ambulance all the way up to...

Three engines, tanker, support van, six ambulances, two helicopters, three local police cars, several POV's, Two State Troopers, and one county sheriff.

Like I said..it all depends on the MVA.
    FF-II/EMT-B/Incident Safety Officer/Photographer
    Lancaster Fire Department
    First run area (Fire): Lancaster, NH & Guildhall, VT (84.3 Sq Miles)
    First run area (Ambulance): Lancaster & Jefferson, NH; Gilman, Guildhall & Lunenberg, VT (185.1 Sq Miles)

Border Patrol

Our response order:
    Rescue Engine (Staffing: min 3, max 5)
    Rescue Transport Unit (aka Ambulance ) (min 2, max 4)
    2nd RTU (min 2, max 4)
    Engine (min 3, max 6)
    Engine (min 3, max 5)

It is up to the IC to cancel units if they're not needed.

If IC does not cancel, we keep going down the response order until all are there or we run out of people to make minimum staffing on the next due piece.
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi

Forum Member

Our responding order:

Rescue Engine (Full time staffing, 4 FF/Medics)
    Ambulance (Full time staffing, 2 FF/Medics)
    Truck Company (volly staffing, min 3 FF/CFR)
    Engine (volly staffing, min 3 FF/CFR)
    Engine (volly staffing, min 3 FF/CFR)
    Mini-Rescue (volly staffing, min 2 FF/CFR)

As with others, 99% of the time, the IC cancels everything after the truck. GENERAL rule of thumb is if there's airbag deployment truck comes. If the accident ever has such involved extrication that we need more than the rescue engine, ambo, and truck, we roll in a m/a heavy rescue.

Forum Member

Standard response for any MVA:

Engine, Heavy Rescue, Parish Medic Unit.

Dispatch will bump up to a 2nd Medic Unit and Supervisor if the incident sounds like multiple injuries. 3rd unit may be moved up and staged.

On the Interstate, we will have one of our Rescue-Engines with cribbing and combi-tool respond the oppasite direction of the heavy.

We now have a tool at the engine at the northern end of the district. They will respond in addition to the engine from Central Station in that area.

Always wanted to post this:

MVC-Minor Injuries- ambulance, either BLS or ALS; engine company if closer.

MVC-Injuries- ambulance, either BLS or ALS; and engine company.

MVC-Unconscious or Mechanism- ambulance, either BLS or ALS; ALS response car, engine company, EMS supervisor

MVC-Interstate- 2 engines, ambulance, either BLS or ALS;

MVC-Pinned- (here we go). 2 engines, 2 ladders, 1 heavy squad, 1 volunteer squad, ambulance, either BLS or ALS; ALS response car, EMS supervisor, 2 battalion chiefs, Fire Safety officer, several volunteers POV to scene.

Our first due gets.....
    Day time BLS gets 1 ambulance 1 career engine
    ALS gets 1 Medic 1 career engine

Night BLS gets 1 ambulance 1 QRS unit (engine if warrented)
    ALS gets 1 Medic 1 Rescue Pumper and QRS unit

Entrapment gets 1 ambulance, 1 Medic, 1 Rescue Pumper 1 Engine and QRS unit on the initial.

Limited Access roadways (i.e. intersates and divided hiways) get 1 ambo or Medic each direction and 1 engine
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Wink

kind of late getting here, but here is what we try and do.
    Volunteer dept, ambulance is seperate. any call that is a rollover, possible entrapment, head-on, ect. county dispatches us. if call is on a small county rd we usually take 1 engine and possibly our small f350 truck. If call is on 4 Lane hwy 27 I try and bring the second engine and position it to block any and all lanes I need to. depending of course on time of day, weather, ect, I will roll second engine even on smaller roads to secure the scene. Past Cheif wanted second engine to stay at staion for other calls. Current Chief(ME) figures anyone that would respond to a second call should already be at the first, so why not have truck and gear with us

Thread Information