Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Confined Space Team

I know I am looking for a needle in a hay stack, does anyone know of a department that does actual confined space rescue team standby for commerical/private business's that does a entry, espically in Oregon? Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I know this group works in Illinois but has sent personnel to Idaho, Florida and other locations to teach. Not sure if they would do stand-by in Oregon. Personnel are all firefighters or retired firefighters.
    http://www.startgrouptraining.com/

Forum Member

I would bet there is one available to you. There seems to be more and more of them.

www.med-texservices.com/

Why is this private business not providing thier own rescue team on standby?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Why?

THe reason this private industry has not provided there own team is because they offered to pay for some of the training. This company pays almost 2/3 of our budget from property taxes. Our admin is agreeing to do this to make them happy or not sure. We have had some training and need more along with more equipment. But this is a nightmare trying to make it work. OSHA makes it very difficult to have a confined space rescue team. Looking to hear from those that already have a team that is organized to give me ideas and help. THanks

Forum Member

You are right on target with OSHA. OSHA does not require an on site rescue team when performing entries, but will crucify you if you have a rescue team that isn't fully trained. Many plants don't even think about asking local responders if they can perform a rescue they just assume. My plant has a rescue team due to the closest team being an hour away and City Department (I am a of member of it) and local rescue are not equiped to perform confined space. Hints for your team is what sort of entries does the facility perform? Our team only responds on site so they are only trained for vessel entries and recovery. If the facility has only a specific type of entry focus on that type of rescue first. In addition, I hate to say if your team is going to respond from offsite with no pre-set up or pre-notification from the facility the potential for a successful rescue is greatly reduced. Coordination with your local facilities is probably just as important as training.

Forum Member

I know one in New Mexico that did, but I wouldn't use 'em. I was talking to one of their new members who was excitedly talking about having been in the chamber to help extinguish the fire, and I didn't recall seeing him in any recent confined space classes at the state fire academy. Then he told me he hadn't been to one.

They did things a little... different around there.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Not sure if this will help you or not, but Firefighter Close Calls has been providing information on Confined Space stuff due to the latest incident.

I just read yesterday's The Secret List email and this was one of the links .... http://www.isfsi.org/

Not sure if you already use Firefighter Close Calls as a resource, but here's the link .... http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/home.php
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information