Forum Member

Default LED Roto-Ray or Strobe Roto-Ray

If you were looking into putting two roto-rays on a 2002 Pierce Quantum Pumper, which would you get. A LED or Strobe?

Forum Member

Whichever you decide, please post pics once it is done. Should be interesting to say the least.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

The idea is to catch the peoples attention. Why not get one of each if you are going to get or use two of them.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter4life91 View Post
    If you were looking into putting two roto-rays on a 2002 Pierce Quantum Pumper, which would you get. A LED or Strobe?
    Strobe Roto-ray? I much prefer the halogens over the LED. The LED's tend to just wash together and do not "throw" the light. Both get lots of comments from motorists, so we call that measurable results!

Forum Member

I would start be seeking psychological help.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    The idea is to catch the peoples attention. Why not get one of each if you are going to get or use two of them.

FM1
    Utility trucks with a single strobe beacon catch people's attention. Not saying that every fire truck should have a single strobe beacon, but there is such a thing as overkill. Two Roto Rays is a good example.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I would start be seeking psychological help.
    Haha. Why do you say that. FOR THE RECORD I MEANT HALOGEN, NOT STROBE.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Whichever you decide, please post pics once it is done. Should be interesting to say the least.
    I will post pics when they are installed. We are just looking for some good feedback is all. After having to push vehicles due to stubborn motorists, we now have 2 Federal Sig EQ2Bs on ALL of our vehicles. EVEN THE BRUSH TRUCK AND CHIEF!! Kinda sad if you ask me, but people around here don't like to move. So, we decided to throw a couple of Roto-Rays on one of our newer pumpers. I appreciate the feedback thus far. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

All this time, I thought I was a whacker, and now you show up and take away my Glory!!!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

neither, I can only imagine how expensive a roto ray is. Probably could get something cheaper that does the same job

Forum Member

I will post pics when they are installed. We are just looking for some good feedback is all. After having to push vehicles due to stubborn motorists, we now have 2 Federal Sig EQ2Bs on ALL of our vehicles. EVEN THE BRUSH TRUCK AND CHIEF!! Kinda sad if you ask me, but people around here don't like to move. So, we decided to throw a couple of Roto-Rays on one of our newer pumpers. I appreciate the feedback thus far. Thanks.
    For the love of god please tell me you were being sarcastic...And honestly one Roto-ray will work just fine. We don't have em here in our area but I've seen em down at the Springfield Mass fire show a few times. IMO you can buy something a lot cheaper and more effective than a roto-ray.

Now a mars light on the other hand, having two of those would be acceptable.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

After having to push vehicles due to stubborn motorists, we now have 2 Federal Sig EQ2Bs on ALL of our vehicles. EVEN THE BRUSH TRUCK AND CHIEF!!
    Why don't you start again when you wake up, wash up and grow up. Between this and another thread you're proving to be quite a Fire Hero (yes that's sarcasm).

Forum Member

you can't fix ash hole, I'm sure they see and hear you, they just don't want to move. I'm positive most people see and here firetrucks, they just wait until the last second to get out of the way. God forbid they lose a few seconds in their drive, they have some where important to be.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245
    Utility trucks with a single strobe beacon catch people's attention. Not saying that every fire truck should have a single strobe beacon, but there is such a thing as overkill. Two Roto Rays is a good example.
    Dang it, I knew I should have entered the << sarcasm >> to the post.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of them. Hell, I'm not even attempting to be a fan of them.

I do like the mars/oscillating lights.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    All this time, I thought I was a whacker, and now you show up and take away my Glory!!!
    Jeffy, you will always be a wacker, but you will never be me. We still love you though!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

There is simply no substitute for a pair of Mars Lights and a Halogen Roto-Ray... that is if your budget allows for such without sacrificing equipment that will truly make your job safer/easier.

I did notice that you're using E-Q's... well there's your traffic moving problem right there... duh! It's not a Q if it has a control panel and doesent draw 100amps when you're on the pedal. (just saying)
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Forum Member

We have the E-Q's on three GMC/Horton ambos that were purchased over the past few years. They have proven to be very unreliable and have failed numerous times on each unit. We had to install back-up sirens (Whelens) on the ambos to keep them in service while we were waiting for the E-Q's to be fixed. Federal Signal reps visited us recently about the E-Q problems we have experienced and told us they are working to upgrade some componentry issues in the sirens to hopefully improve the reliability of these sirens.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Why don't you start again when you wake up, wash up and grow up. Between this and another thread you're proving to be quite a Fire Hero (yes that's sarcasm).
    What is that supposed to mean? I am not exactly sure what the reason is for you insulting me, but if you dont have anything nice to say, then please do not post in my topics. What is it that I possibly could've done to you that would give you a legit reason for treating me in a crude manner. Explain please, but be nice about it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EngineCO38 View Post
    For the love of god please tell me you were being sarcastic...And honestly one Roto-ray will work just fine. We don't have em here in our area but I've seen em down at the Springfield Mass fire show a few times. IMO you can buy something a lot cheaper and more effective than a roto-ray.

Now a mars light on the other hand, having two of those would be acceptable.
    Yes that was a sarcastic statement. Yes I agree that there are much cheaper ways, but I am not in charge of purchases, but I was told to survey people on what they would do. Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    you can't fix ash hole, I'm sure they see and hear you, they just don't want to move. I'm positive most people see and here firetrucks, they just wait until the last second to get out of the way. God forbid they lose a few seconds in their drive, they have some where important to be.
    Thats true. I have told them that, but they still want the roto-rays. Oh well. I guess that they wanna do a little "decorating", but in my opinion, it is a waste of money.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Call me a whacker, but I am one of the biggest fans of the Roto-Ray out there. Coming from the MD/VA/PA area, I have the chance to see them nearly on a daily basis - both the LED and Roto-Ray versions. When you're looking at a rig head-on, the Roto-Ray outshines most everything out there, including the Gen III LED's. It's a powerful device - even the guys I work with who could care less about warning lights many times comment about the RR's effectiveness.

Stick with the halogen, not the LED.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Never been a fan of Roto-Rays. At a time when we are trying to migrate to LED warning lights for their advantages of no moving parts and low current draw, a Roto-Ray seems like a step backward.

Guess I just don't get it???

C6

Forum Member

Yes that was a sarcastic statement. Yes I agree that there are much cheaper ways, but I am not in charge of purchases, but I was told to survey people on what they would do. Thanks
    Well in that case, I can only give my own suggestions. Personally I think Roto-rays are kinda useless, but they are tradition in some Departments and have a decent user base. If I were you, I'd suggest to your chief or whomever it is that does actually purchase items. To buy one, mount it on your pumper and see how well it works out for you.

Just going flat out and buying two of em for one rig is excessive (Not Mount Horeb excessive by any means but still ridiculous) Just try one out first, and maybe a Mars light. We have one on our 74' Seagrave Ladder, it works wonders getting motorists attention.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Wink

OK you want Roto-Rays?

You want Mars 888 lights??

Why not have both and lots at that.

Photo from a friend who thought I would like this rig!!

I do too!!

By the way it has a real siren on it and not a pretend one as the EQ
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member
    Fyrtrks

Thread Information