Training Reciprocity or Equivalency
for NYS Firefighter I and II courses:
Effective April 1, 2010, obtaining equivalency or reciprocity for the New York State Firefighter I and Firefighter II training courses for any training completed outside the New York State Fire Training Program will require national certification for NFPA 1001 Level I or II, respectively.

Any training which is not already nationally certified will require successful completion of the national certification testing offered by OFPC or another testing agency accredited by either NPQS/Pro Board or IFSAC.

Individuals who have not yet obtained national certification must submit the following:
Proof of completion of the training.
Syllabus or course description information for the training course(s) being submitted.
This information will be evaluated to determine whether the training requirements for national certification testing have been met.

This information should be submitted to:
NYS Office of Fire Prevention and Control
Fire Services Bureau, Standards Unit
99 Washington Avenue, Suite 500
Albany, N.Y. 12231

If the training submitted is determined to meet or exceed the requirements established by OFPC for national certification testing, the individual may participate in the regularly scheduled testing at the NYS Academy of Fire
Science or a regional testing opportunity when available.

Additional information about OFPCís national certification testing program is available here:
http://www.dos.state.ny.us/fire/certifications.htm