Forum Member

Default SAFER VFD recruitment and retention

We are currently starting to gather info and ideas towards an R&R SAFER application for the next go around. Unfortunately, we are coming up with some ideas that we don't know if they are whimsical or useable. Can anyone provide us with some successful ideas that were funded through this process please. It would be greatly appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was getting to write a similar post to get an idea what volunteer departments have used SAFER for besides hiring people. I just got our grants program dropped in my lap and need ideas.

MembersZone Subscriber

Guys just remember that the biggest killer of these grants is that the department'e lack of undertanding the basic premise of the program in the first place. In planning a project for SAFER, even under R&R, you still must show several things:

- the problem- you are not in complaince with NFPA1710/1720
    - that your plan will actually improve compliance with same above
    -hwo you are going to "keep the project" alive after the SAFER money runs out - IE sustainability
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Any new ideas for recruitment and retention part of SAFER?

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt what general ideas so you see that get funded alot more then others?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default SAFER VFT recruitment and retention

I am also looking for ideas for our combination department. Please send any ideas to fire@lancasternh.org.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by spj03584 View Post
    I am also looking for ideas for our combination department. Please send any ideas to fire@lancasternh.org.
    All,

In our experience, we have found that departments are much more likely to be successful with a SAFER R&R application if they conduct an internal staffing needs assessment BEFORE they start thinking about the types of programs to implement. You need to be able to quantify the magnitude of your staffing problem and the root cause - all with respect to NFPA 1710/1720. Is your problem related to response times or the number of qualified interior firefighters? Do you have difficulty recruiting new members or do you have plenty of members but poor turnout? Is poor recruitment an issue with the time and cost of training or is it related to lack of awareness? The answers to these questions will help you focus your R&R program to effectively address your core staffing issues.

One of the most useful pre-application activities is to conduct a survey among your department to figure out why members do and don't respond to calls, training, events, etc. Propose a variety of solutions and ask members to rate whether or not each program will impact their responses. Use the results from your survey to develop your program and justify the details in your SAFER application.

Unlike AFG, SAFER R&R awards can be much more unique, creative, and tailored to your situation. That said, what works for your neighboring department won't necessarily work for yours.

-dave

Forum Member

Here is my idea, and I am definitely open to criticism / adjustments.

Our problem is with members being active for a few years (average 3-6) and then backing off. We are also in a lull for recruitment. Some of the feedback that we have gotten is that "volunteer departments aren't as professional as the paid departments" and that we don't look like we are a professional organization.

Our proposal is that we start issuing department apparal. We will give T-shirts, job shirts, sweatshirts, hats, dress shirts, and class A uniforms. These will be given at varying years of service;
    Hat and T-shirt on becoming a member and every 5 years thereafter
    Sweatshirt at one year and every 5 years thereafter
    Dress shirt and job shirt at 5 years and every 5 years thereafter if needed
    Class A uniform at 10 years and every 10 years thereafter if needed
    Special life service medal at 20 years and every 10 years thereafter.
    The grant would be to catch up those at the various service lengths. We would then continue the program thereafter using T-shirt sales (these would be different shirts than what members get).

This would serve for retention as we are giving the members something that makes them feel like part of an organization that cares and rewards longevity. It will help in recruitment by presenting a more professional appearance in the members.

Thoughts?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post

Our problem is with members being active for a few years (average 3-6) and then backing off. We are also in a lull for recruitment. Some of the feedback that we have gotten is that "volunteer departments aren't as professional as the paid departments" and that we don't look like we are a professional organization.

Our proposal is that we start issuing department apparal. We will give T-shirts, job shirts, sweatshirts, hats, dress shirts, and class A uniforms. These will be given at varying years of service;
    Hat and T-shirt on becoming a member and every 5 years thereafter
    Sweatshirt at one year and every 5 years thereafter
    Dress shirt and job shirt at 5 years and every 5 years thereafter if needed
    Class A uniform at 10 years and every 10 years thereafter if needed
    Special life service medal at 20 years and every 10 years thereafter.
    The grant would be to catch up those at the various service lengths. We would then continue the program thereafter using T-shirt sales (these would be different shirts than what members get).

This would serve for retention as we are giving the members something that makes them feel like part of an organization that cares and rewards longevity. It will help in recruitment by presenting a more professional appearance in the members.

Thoughts?
    It's an interesting thought, but in my opinion, years of service is not well correlated with NFPA 1710/1720. In other words, being a member for 5 years doesn't necessarily mean that you respond to lots of calls - i.e., count as one of the qualified interior firefighters towards the NFPA standard. Your program will be much more powerful if you tie it to number or percent of calls responded to in the previous 3 or 6 months. Alternatively, you could tie the incentive to increases in the number or percent of calls. This type of program directly links the incentive to the solution - i.e., firefighters will receive their reward when they demonstrate that they are moving the needle on the department's compliance with the standard.

-dave

Forum Member

Talking

It will help in recruitment by presenting a more professional appearance in the members.

Thoughts?
    Will a department T shirt or job shirt make your members better trained or more in compliance with standards?
    Yes it makes them more identifiable as members , but attitude and how they present themselves to the public will make a difference.
    The idea you need to sell to reviewers is how will this project will increase your membership numbers and how will it improve the retention rate of existing members.
    Do you do an exit survey to find out why members that were previously very active become less active or leave? If not you really haven't identified the problem you grant is intended to fix.
    What methods have you tried for recruiting new members? Is is reliant upon word of mouth from current members?
    What type of advertising are you currently doing to promote the benefits of being a member? How can you improve on that?
    What are your target groups for recruiting?

Just a few thoughts of mine.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have done many survies and assements but it come down to the same answers. More benefits of money it the firefighters pocket. Something like a gas card, or stipend for making minuims requirements. maybe a health benefit. But around young guys could care less about retirement benefits they dont think that far ahead. They want something now or at least something every few months. So im very open to ideas that have worked and been approved by SAFER

MembersZone Subscriber

DAVEPA, Islandfire03 and other "grant savvy" experienced veterans here are speaking words of wisdom that I consistently have preached to all. You cannot ask for something for which no need exists.

What you think is causing the problem may in fact be 180 degrees different than what the actual problem is. The ONLY way to be able to tell a reviewer exactly what your problems are and why your request addresses and mitigates that problem is to be able to say to them " we conducted an assessment to discover why we do not have enough people showing up on calls and this is what we learned".

SAFER is not about "appearances" or "professionlism" its about being sure that your members, neighbor's and their children do not perish in a tradgedy by assuring we have enough people on a fire call to do the job and send our volunteers back home to their families safely everytime. Is the genuine "thank you" from a citizen whose home you just saved or the child's life you just saved now simply, not enough?

I know all of us work hard in a relatively thankless job and pats on the back are few and far between but I still remember long ago when I was 17 acting as a lifeguard when my career path was chosen by a singler incident. I can still see that mother looking at me with tears in her eyes's while holding the child that I just retrieved from the bottom of the lake and brought back to life with CPR saying "thank you" and that was the epiphany moment for me that said because of you, others may live!

What we are experiencing is the product of the "me generation" that has been raised to believe that they are "entitled to something" just because they are alive and those of you out there that this statment applies to know who you are. Whatever happended to statements like :

-" If not me, then who"
    - " Ask not what your country can do for you but, what you can do for your country"
    - "Young people have no finer example that that of a man who gives generously of himself to serve others"
    - "I am my brother's keeper"

Did thes e statments somehow fall off the planet lost in space? I was raised on those statements and I was also raised with a sense of dedicated hard work, loyalty and with a sense of personal pride and responsibility to my family, my country and yes also to my community.

The poor work ethic I see exhibited in every career field by many of our youth is, to say the least, simply pathetic. I did not join the military for the pay, likewise I was always smart enough to realize that you don't take a career in public safety work to get rich. I have news for you "Me generation folks", if your in this for the money, then you are in it for the wrong reasons.We did it without you before and we will do it again.

Davepa is right, it is not about "being a member" its about how many calls do you, yourself haul your butt out of bed every night to go answer because of that little voice in the back of your head which says, that just might be my best friend entrapped in that car or my old Aunt's house does not deserve to burn down simply because its cold out and I don't want to leave my warm bed. If we don't do it in our own community, what incentive do others in the community where your brother lives have to respond likewise? Simply by doing it and "paying it forward" we are assuring that others will do the same.

As far as I am concerned SAFER is not the method but the means by which to encourage volunteerism and volunteerism should never be confused with renumeration. Scholarships to encourage a young person to better themselves and still give back to their community in return is fine. Reimbursing someone who uses a whole tank of gas per month actually coming out and answering calls is perfectly acceptable. Don't get me wrong here folks, I certainly understand that when a volunteer has to make a decison to use the gas in their car to "go to work or go to the call", "work" is going to win everytime. Recognizing years of service ( not simply membership) with a plaque or a special recognition jacket is great too. Just don't forget in your early planning stages to figure out how you are going to pay for these things 2 years from now when the grant money is gone.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

I certainly agree with all of Kurt's points.

I think it's also important to reinforce to the crowd here that submitting a SAFER application based on some other department's successful program is NOT a surefire way to an award.

I've already mentioned (and Kurt reiterated) that you need to have a solid understanding of the root cause of YOUR staffing or response time problem. But that's only part of a successful application.

After you identify the problem, you need to develop a solution that you believe will solve the identified problem. The more data you have to back up your assumptions, the better.

But you're still not done yet! A successful application also needs to describe the magnitude of the benefits that will be derived from the improvements in staffing or response times.

Still not done...don't forget to communicate how (and how often) you will measure the impact of your program. Will you analyze call volume, staffing, and response times quarterly? Will you conduct quarterly or semi-annual surveys to obtain first hand data on the program's effectiveness? What will you do if you find that your program isn't moving the needle???

And last but not least, as Kurt just mentioned, how will you plan to keep your program solvent after the grant money runs out.

Let's review the steps:

1. Identify Problem
    2. Develop Solution
    3. Communicate benefits of solution
    4. Develop plan for measuring program effectiveness
    5. Develop long term financial plan for program

The questions on this forum almost always focus on Step #2. Although I'm not suggesting that Step 2 isn't important, I am strongly encouraging all departments to keep in mind ALL of the necessary steps required in a successful SAFER application.

Good luck to all!
    -dave

Forum Member

I am pretty sure that uniforms were listed as an ineligible expense in the 2010 PG.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    DAVEPA, Islandfire03 and other "grant savvy" experienced veterans here are speaking words of wisdom that I consistently have preached to all. You cannot ask for something for which no need exists.
    I greatly appreciate and respect the advice and crticism that I have received on this forum and thank you all. Please forgive me if my questions seem elementary as I am admittedly ignorant, being new to the grant writing aspect of the department.

SAFER is not about "appearances" or "professionlism" its about being sure that your members, neighbor's and their children do not perish in a tradgedy by assuring we have enough people on a fire call to do the job and send our volunteers back home to their families safely everytime. Is the genuine "thank you" from a citizen whose home you just saved or the child's life you just saved now simply, not enough?
    If you will indulge me, I would like to try and clarify my application. We have asked several of the members that are no longer active. I realize this is not a formal exit interview, but it is as close as I can get without making the members feel like we are fully kicking them out. When I asked what made them quit coming around as much the answers I got were:
    1) Didn't feel like I belonged / wasn't appreciated (6)
    2) Family commitments / lack of time (5)
    3) Politics / personality issues within the membership (3)
    I surveyed 10 people who were formerly very active members. They obviously were able to give more than one answer, but it wasn't multiple choice. This was an open ended question and all of the responses fit in these 3 groups.

I do not know how to address #2. And I feel that #3 is going to happen wherever you have a volunteer organization and different personality types. I could think of some ways to attack #1 and it was the most given response. That is why I chose the path that I did.

I also did not mention that this reward system is for active members only. This means, by our bylaws, that there are minimum standards for call responses, trainings, and fund raising events. So this would not be rewarding just a length of membership, but only those that were active in their membership.

If you feel this does not address your issues with identifying and addressing the problem, please let me know and I will rethink my direction I am heading with this.

Again, thank you for your input and willingness to share your knowledge.

MembersZone Subscriber

I greatly appreciate and respect the advice and crticism that I have received on this forum and thank you all. Please forgive me if my questions seem elementary as I am admittedly ignorant, being new to the grant writing aspect of the department.

If you will indulge me, I would like to try and clarify my application. We have asked several of the members that are no longer active. I realize this is not a formal exit interview, but it is as close as I can get without making the members feel like we are fully kicking them out. When I asked what made them quit coming around as much the answers I got were:
    I surveyed 10 people who were formerly very active members. They obviously were able to give more than one answer, but it wasn't multiple choice. This was an open ended question and all of the responses fit in these 3 groups.

I do not know how to address #2. And I feel that #3 is going to happen wherever you have a volunteer organization and different personality types. I could think of some ways to attack #1 and it was the most given response. That is why I chose the path that I did.

I also did not mention that this reward system is for active members only. This means, by our bylaws, that there are minimum standards for call responses, trainings, and fund raising events. So this would not be rewarding just a length of membership, but only those that were active in their membership.

If you feel this does not address your issues with identifying and addressing the problem, please let me know and I will rethink my direction I am heading with this.

Again, thank you for your input and willingness to share your knowledge.

Huntpa, that's exactly what this forum is about, helping everyone. Although it appears that you took step one by asking the members who left, you forgot about the follow up to that interview which is to ask the question of , "what could we have done to change that for you?" You should also not ignore your exisitng membership. Sit them down and ask the questions " why don't you respond to our calls?", "what can we do to get you to answer more calls?"You should also not forget to "do the math first". Have you actually checked to determine what percentage of calls are not meeting compliance? Sometimes we surprise oursleves by finding that we are actually meeting the requirement and a problem does not exist. The point is, too many go after SAFER before determining if in fact there is actually a problem and then they lose track of the forest for the trees in sticking to what SAFER is about, compliance with NFPA1720. Your asking the right question here, at the right time. Keep it up, always here to help!
    Last edited by ktb9780; 10-04-2011 at 01:11 PM.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

HuntPA,

First off, it appears that retention of active volunteer firefighters is your primary concern, correct? It also appears as though 9 out of 10 firefighters interviewed suggested that internal fire department management and personality conflicts were the primary reason for their departure. Although frustrating, your situation is common. In fact, many local, state, and national surveys have revealed that a lack of leadership, lack of employee/volunteer recognition, negative workplace environment, and lack of employee/volunteer involvement are far more important in terms of retention than any monetary based incentive.

Let's face it, your members joined in the first place because they wanted to serve their community and experience the camaraderie and brother/sisterhood that goes along with being a firefighter. Throwing a few dollars per call or a tank of gas at them probably won't keep them engaged if they feel like they are not valued and not treated well. In my own experience as a volunteer firefighter, i can think of many examples where members have left departments because they were the butt of all jokes (even too many little jokes wear somebody down over time) or because they were passed over for an officers position by a chief officer's friend or family member, or they were simply never thanked by their officers. The list goes on and on.

Although a SAFER funded R&R program might be a good component to add to your recruitment and retention arsenal, I suspect that you'll find that improving the leadership and management of the department will generate substantial improvements at little to no cost.

If you haven't already read it, the USFA's paper on "Retention and Recruitment for the Volunteer Emergency Services: Challenges and Solutions" :FA-310/May 2007 is an excellent resource.

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/p...ons/fa-310.pdf

MembersZone Subscriber

I have attacked this by getting more family involved. The family that sprays together stays together - or something like that. Recreational things at the station. Day care during runs. That kind of thing

MembersZone Subscriber

My observation of "lack of time" is just an easy excuse for some other underlying reason (perhaps most frequently whining wife). I buy into the 80/20 rule. That is 80% of everything that gets done is done by 20% of the people involved (for some it's the 90/10 rule). You want something done draft the busiest person you can. They are more organized (have to be) and will knock "it" out to the deadline. The "best" vol I have all have multikids, run business, etc. Or you going to get the guys who has been snoozing in the unemployment hammock for the last 193weeks?

I keep thinking we have much in common with the National Guard recruiting I was involved with in the late 90s (Infantry). What incentives that were possible will have positive impact on enlistments and re-enlistment. Better payoff for wetbehind the ears (18yr) or older more mature guys (mid/late 20s). I did not find the trash/trinkets gave any noticable benefit to R/R (though scooped up by the guys already had).

Tuition programs brought in quite a few recruits but they typically had less than average motivation/dedication. Just in it for the degree then most out the door. If you can retain for a contracted period still may be worth it.

Much may have changed to current reserve/NG recruiting since we're at war but perhaps much to learn about the current potential recruiting pools. Or a good study paper there. recent HS grads; young 20s; middle life w/families: empty nesters; retirees. Any of these, motivated, could have a home on my FD.

My Inf Co had several members (fulltimers and Guard) that were also vol FF. Full time jobs + NG + Vol FF. So busy public dedicated individuals.

MembersZone Subscriber

A usual neiowa, you bring up some very interesting points, especially the 80/20 rule. Bottom line here is we all know that the single biggest motivator of all time is still unfortunately, "money".

In its infancy SAFER had a very noble and great idea; stimulate the people to get creative in trying to discover ways to "sustain" themselves. The whole idea was look for a solution to change the way of currently managing staffing problems from the traditional way and if you were smart enough to figure out a theoretical but logical and realistic plan that just might work, SAFER supplied you with a means to ""bridge the financial gap" between conceptualization to actually launching the project.

I was part of and observed a number of departments that actually insitututed some pretty innovative ideas, and to this day are still using them, and paying for it themseves now, as they were supposed to.

Where SAFER failed is when they took out the required increasing matching funds and eliminated the "hand-up" aspect and turned it into a "hand-out" program.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Where SAFER failed is when they took out the required increasing matching funds and eliminated the "hand-up" aspect and turned it into a "hand-out" program.

Kurt,

Just to clarify - the R&R portion (which we've been discussing in this thread) has never required a local match which I think is appropriate given the incredibly high barrier to spending limited volunteer fire department funding on R&R programs. I've seen a number of successful programs implemented over the years that would have never seen the light of day without SAFER funding.

To add to your point about the "hand-out" on the hiring acitivty, it's frustrating to me that the R&R portion is only allocated the minimum required - even after total funding was doubled this year.

-dave

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by davepa View Post
    Kurt,

Just to clarify - the R&R portion (which we've been discussing in this thread) has never required a local match which I think is appropriate given the incredibly high barrier to spending limited volunteer fire department funding on R&R programs. I've seen a number of successful programs implemented over the years that would have never seen the light of day without SAFER funding.

To add to your point about the "hand-out" on the hiring acitivty, it's frustrating to me that the R&R portion is only allocated the minimum required - even after total funding was doubled this year.

-dave
    I should have clarified that point in what I was referring to, Thanks davepa.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

I should have clarified that point in what I was referring to, Thanks davepa.
    I know that you knew that ...just clarifying for others that weren't aware.

Forum Member

Talking

Just a few thoughts and ideas that have been successfully awarded.

Funding to develop , print and mail a recruitment and retention brochure professionally.

monthly combined fire safety and recruitment advertising in our local newspaper.

Money to add to our college scholarship fund allowing more $$ to be given to members.

Fuel cost reimbursement and mileage for out of town trainings.

No one solution is applicable for every department.
    You need to present a well thought out plan to solve an identified problem, & show the reviewers how this will help solve that problem.

Forum Member

Thank you all for your input. I greatly appreciate it.

Thread Information