Thread: Excess Funds

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Excess Funds

I am wondering about excess funds and their use. I know you can spend up to the 5000 without contacting anyone from the AFG. But what if you have more than the 5000 left over. Do they usually let you use it? Do you have to give it back? Or is on a case by case basis. Thanks for any input.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by imafireman View Post
    Anything under $4750 can be spent to extend your program, but as Jam said, I would still get approval prior to the purchase. Any federal funds over that amount cannot be spent prior to approval, and it can only be used towards fire prevention and safety. You will have to file an amendment to do this.
    If it's a 2009 grant, I believe 50% can be used for training, up to $5000 (including your match) to further the project, and anything else must be spent on fire prevention projects.

It's always best to make contact with them and get an approval in writing, just to CYA. When I did our excess funds for our 2008 grant, I submitted the required amendment for the fire prevention project and included a description of our intent for the remaining funds. No problems getting it approved.

Forum Member

As I understand it, any less than $5,000 and you can spend it along the lines of your project or fire prevention programs.

Any excess over $5,000 and you need to contact AFG.

If it were me, I would contact them anyway (by phone) no matter if you have less than $5,000 or over $5,000 in excess funds, then followup by sending and email and requesting an email reply. Why not? That way you have a paper trail confirmation and will sleep for the next three years.

I'm always a believer in calling the AFG help desk or regional GMS. They can't eat you.

Forum Member

Anything under $4750 can be spent to extend your program, but as Jam said, I would still get approval prior to the purchase. Any federal funds over that amount cannot be spent prior to approval, and it can only be used towards fire prevention and safety. You will have to file an amendment to do this.

Forum Member

Think they'd let me use the excess for grant training? (no)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by imafireman View Post
    If it's a 2009 grant, I believe 50% can be used for training, up to $5000 (including your match) to further the project, and anything else must be spent on fire prevention projects.

It's always best to make contact with them and get an approval in writing, just to CYA. When I did our excess funds for our 2008 grant, I submitted the required amendment for the fire prevention project and included a description of our intent for the remaining funds. No problems getting it approved.

MembersZone Subscriber

Regardless of the amount; using excess funds to create or expand a fire or injury prevention project requires an amendment.

50% of the excess funds can be used for training and/or wellness/fitness requires an amendment.

Pg. 63-64 of the PG explains all 4 options.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks everyone. I will see where we are at exactly when it is all done. Looks like I will need to contact the AFG, will probably do so anyway. I like the thought of having a paper trail.

Thread Information