Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Forum Member

Is a yelling tree like a singing bush? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yNV-GXoeCM

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by toddman View Post
    Spoke to our USDA rep about this. She indicated that they have been instructed to not make requests for non-construction type projects using the ARRA funds.
    Our guy indicated the same thing when I spoke with him again. There are some other funds available for the equipment, it's just the regular pool of money, though.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by toddman View Post
    Spoke to our USDA rep about this. She indicated that they have been instructed to not make requests for non-construction type projects using the ARRA funds.
    That's horse hockey puck.

that's not the scope of the program. If she states any different then go to another office.

MembersZone Subscriber

You have to work thru the office that covers your region. If you weren't talking to the top dog in the Rural Dev office you can go up the food chain.

I talked to the NE Iowa office today. As I understood it their ObamaChicompork $ for apparatus has all been committed so back to working their "normal" limited pot-o-bucks for such projects. Which means smaller projects not large grants for new trucks.

In other words Obama has made his "investments" in buying new trucks that they project should be arrive just before the election in Nov. The goofballs running things in DC however forgot to factor in the EPA/envirowacko emissions changes for 2010. Frtliner has just started shipping 2010 M2 chassis and apparently the leadtime is running some 5 months. So a order today unlikely to be delivered much before Christmas. Now that's funny. Buyin' votes with borrowed chicom $ and and the pork doesn't show up on time because of your own wacko political policies.

Forum Member

I contacted my local usda office and was talk money is also being used to fund the community facitlity grant however it can be used as a vehicle grant as well. has anyone else gotten anything like that?

Forum Member

USDA money can go for any building, vehicle, or equipment needed to serve the community.

Forum Member

Default broken record

Is it physically impossible for you to post without inserting your political views into every single paragraph?

" As I understood it their ObamaChicompork $ for apparatus has all been committed so back to working their "normal" limited pot-o-bucks for such projects. Which means smaller projects not large grants for new trucks.

In other words Obama has made his "investments" in buying new trucks that they project should be arrive just before the election in Nov. The goofballs running things in DC however forgot to factor in the EPA/envirowacko emissions changes for 2010. " F

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    USDA money can go for any building, vehicle, or equipment needed to serve the community.
    Brian, I drew a blank. What is HMI that you referred to in your original posting here?

Have been spending some time with my ARRA representative concerning this. Ended up saying yes that this federal application can be used on the AFG application. It however must be used in a way that I find difficult to account for in my cash match being increased.

I can use it for the overall project, just not within my cash match. Frankly it sounds like it is as difficult as the SCG grant.

Forum Member

MHI, median household income.

You can use the USDA to do something else related to the grant but not as part of the AFG project or matching. So for example if you're buying hose, AFG grant and your matching cover X quantity of hose. If you need more than that, USDA can be used to buy more hose in whatever matching setup you have with them. Basically 2 separate projects buying exactly the same items. 2 invoices, 2 distinct entities. USDA money can't be the cash you match with.

Odds are what they just told you means that you can buy it all at one time but for paperwork's sake better to keep everything separate. Easier to account for what's AFG and what's not, otherwise that audit will be the most fun colonoscopy you've ever dealt with.
    Brian P. Vickers
    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
    www.helpmewithgrants.com
    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Forum Member

MHI, median household income.

You can use the USDA to do something else related to the grant but not as part of the AFG project or matching. So for example if you're buying hose, AFG grant and your matching cover X quantity of hose. If you need more than that, USDA can be used to buy more hose in whatever matching setup you have with them. Basically 2 separate projects buying exactly the same items. 2 invoices, 2 distinct entities. USDA money can't be the cash you match with.

Odds are what they just told you means that you can buy it all at one time but for paperwork's sake better to keep everything separate. Easier to account for what's AFG and what's not, otherwise that audit will be the most fun colonoscopy you've ever dealt with.
    Yeah, the MHI is the first thing they looked at. Our problem is that our county has the second highest income per capita in the state. In 2006 it was the highest. I try to avoid that demographic as much as possible. I need to relay how poor I truly am.

Forum Member

It's MHI of area served by the project, not the county. Hence the reason they run GIS checks based on either GPS coordinates or roads for the outer border of the service area to ensure that the proper residents are being represented. Do it all the time with unincorporated areas since they only pull census data for the MHI from either city name on the physical address of the department, or ZIP code, neither of which are accurate in unincorporated areas.

Make that supposed to, several area happy making their federal checks and pensions without extra work like the GIS survey. Sometimes have to go to state or local college resources to get proof of service area MHI. If we do the legwork they're happy to recheck the system for eligiblity. Most areas it's $26k to hit the 15% grant point.

Forum Member

I sent an email to our district office (which is the state office) and asked the director about our availability, the required match, and whether or not we could use it to expand our station.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Station 49 View Post
    I sent an email to our district office (which is the state office) and asked the director about our availability, the required match, and whether or not we could use it to expand our station.
    Post what they reply, so we can know what was said on that one.

(If you would be so kind- 49) rhymes doesnt it?

It's MHI of area served by the project, not the county. Hence the reason they run GIS checks based on either GPS coordinates or roads for the outer border of the service area to ensure that the proper residents are being represented. Do it all the time with unincorporated areas since they only pull census data for the MHI from either city name on the physical address of the department, or ZIP code, neither of which are accurate in unincorporated areas.
    Very interesting Brian! I am in a similar predicament as my local USDA rep quoted me the figures on the entire town (but our hamlet is less than 10% of the town and we don't have the expensive homes overlooking the Hudson River [i.e. we would qualify for some assistance]) Where might I find more info on this, since he has told me a couple times the best he can do is a fixed loan of like 4%? Thanks, Ben

Forum Member

Just have to bring a GIS report showing the area served and the vitals, see if they don't bite. Still have to make it down to around $26k MHI (not per capita) so might be tough up that way to make it work.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Post what they reply, so we can know what was said on that one.

(If you would be so kind- 49) rhymes doesnt it?
    The coordinator's response:

Eligibility for these grants is based on the median household income (MHI) of the community or rural area, as determined by the US census. A community or rural area must have an MHI below $35,981 to be eligible at all for grants. Unfortunately, the census data indicates that [your community] has an MHI of $48,598. Therefore, [your community] is not grant eligible.

Thread Information