Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Peoria FD

Forum Member

Default Peoria FD

I saw that Peoria is accepting applications, does anyone know anything else about this dept?

Forum Member

They run 3 man companies, staff 10 engines, 4 trucks, 2 rescues. 24 on, 48 off. The run EMS with a private ambulance service, all companies are BLS except for 1 ALS engine. Pay is pretty good. They have their own training academy which all firefighters go through at hire regardless of experience. It would be a good job to work.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trendle View Post
    They run 3 man companies, staff 10 engines, 4 trucks, 2 rescues. 24 on, 48 off. The run EMS with a private ambulance service, all companies are BLS except for 1 ALS engine. Pay is pretty good. They have their own training academy which all firefighters go through at hire regardless of experience. It would be a good job to work.
    Thanks a lot for the info do you work for them? Also I thought it was a 24/48 also but on their website it said they run a 24/72, do you know anything about that? outdated maybe? Since all but one engine is ALS, and the application did not require EMT-P cert I understand they will hire EMT-B's, but is this another station that would be leaning more towards ALS or no since they only run the one ALS rig? Sorry for all the questions, Im working on filling out my application for them now and was just curious. Thanks again.

Also do you know if they are hiring or making a list? I will be applying regardless just curious.
    Last edited by sTages19; 04-23-2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: another question.

Forum Member

they just hired 9 and rumor has it thats it for this list, it was extended a little over a year. I would imagine a medic and fire certs would get you points but right now theres little info on the next testing phase other than a rumor i heard from a chief and an engine co that they should be testing sometime this summer

Forum Member

Sounds good. I applied today. Not to keen on living in Peoria, but alas, a job is a job.

Forum Member

I'm pretty sure that application option has been up for awhile now, not sure offhand though. Has anybody heard rumors about them testing? Also, I think their union contract states that, after 5 years, you don't have to live in Peoria, but have to live within like 20 miles, can't remember offhand.

Forum Member

I talked to a few of the Peoria guys at the Tazwell County Fire School this weekend, and they said that there's going to be a testing process at some point this year, unknown on any hiring though. Just some info for everyone!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sTages19 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the info do you work for them? Also I thought it was a 24/48 also but on their website it said they run a 24/72, do you know anything about that? outdated maybe? Since all but one engine is ALS, and the application did not require EMT-P cert I understand they will hire EMT-B's, but is this another station that would be leaning more towards ALS or no since they only run the one ALS rig? Sorry for all the questions, Im working on filling out my application for them now and was just curious. Thanks again.

Also do you know if they are hiring or making a list? I will be applying regardless just curious.
    No I don't work for them but I have several friends who do. They are not on a 24/72 schedule, you might have been looking at Peoria, Arizona's site.

Technically no EMS license is required but in practice everyone is an EMT-B. I think they are leaning toward more ALS but they only have enough P's on the job to staff one ALS company.

Their current list is on an extension right now. I am sure they will test sometime soon, probably this fall.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know when they will actually be testing?
    Sincerely,

JuniorAFPD
    juniorafpd@gmail.com

Forum Member

just got an email, get your app in by august as the test is in sept

Thread Information