Fire season continues with Crix Ridge blaze
By Vanessa Overholser - Staff Writer
CNHI

April 23, 2010 — Firefighters responded to an emergency call Tuesday after a property owner discovered that a wooded area of his property had caught on fire.

Delmar Goodman had been working outside on his property which is located on 1999 Crix Ridge and had went inside to take a break when he received a phone call from a neighbor saying his property was on fire. Goodman looked outside and saw that the wooded portion of his property had gone up in flames. He then contacted the Elliottville Fire Department for help.

“I didn’t see a fire in my woods when I was outside working about forty minutes ago,” Goodman said standing outside looking at the fire that ravished a portion of his land. “A neighbor called me and told me that my land was on fire. I immediately called the fire department for help.”

Ranger Technician for the Kentucky Division of Forestry Dwayne Anderson said his agency received the call about the fire at 2:08 p.m.

“The fire destroyed about 3⁄4 of an acre,” Anderson said. “Part of the property that went ablaze was private property and the other part of it was federal property.”

Elliottville Fire Department had a brush unit and a tanker on scene to fight the blaze. The Kentucky Division of Forestry and one unit of the United States Forest Service assisted withputting out the fire. It took fire crews 45 minutes to put out the flames. No structures were harmed in the fire.

Anderson said he wants everyone to keep forestry laws in mind when attempting to burn objects this month.

“There is no burning between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Mon. through Sunday within a 150 feet of woodlands, he said. “This will remain in effect until April 30 and it could be extended. If they have any questions concerning burning contact KY Div. of Forestry at 1-800-866-0052.”

Last week crews fought a blaze of fire that destroyed 1,100 acres of the Daniel Boone National Forest.

The cause of the fire is still under determination by US Forest Service Law enforcement.