View Poll Results: Do you wear your Facepiece on the rig to the run, and/or in a clear enviornment?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, never.

83 82.18%
  • Yes, every time.

3 2.97%
  • Only to confirmed fires.

11 10.89%
  • I do whatever my boss says.

7 6.93%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Forum Member

Wink

Hehe,UNLESS you're in Texas,I'm thinking that's pretty much a NON issue since they aren't TOO popular outside of Tx. NOT saying they can't be found but they are pretty much a Texas thing. Nobody up here uses them.I would think they would be a MAJOR PITA but you guys seem to get along OK. I'd rather put a few holes in the house. Different styles for different areas. OH,wouldn't want to work in DFW either,too freakin' HOT. I can adjust for COLD but Hot is another issue. I don't like humid heat. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer534 View Post
    I understand where everyone is coming from but I completely trust the practical/real world experience of the chief that started this. We've been doing it now for a couple of years and havent had any issues. I'm not out to fool anyone, we're not fighting fires everyday, but it works for us. We have to be a little more aware with where we walk, etc, but dont have issues with fatigue, vision. Fogging is not an issue. To be clear, we're not going on air and we're not putting it on in route to the scene.
    Come on NK you are not on air while the truck is on the run are you?? So when you guys exit the apparatus, you have the face piece on and on air, is that what you are sayong? Why man, why? The time to put the face piece on is at the door and you go on air then. Have you forgotten the FF1 training the DFP trained you guys on?

Forum Member

I don't put mine on until I'm on at the door. For all the same reasons mentioned above.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Come on NK you are not on air while the truck is on the run are you?? So when you guys exit the apparatus, you have the face piece on and on air, is that what you are sayong? Why man, why? The time to put the face piece on is at the door and you go on air then. Have you forgotten the FF1 training the DFP trained you guys on?
    Nah, Jonnee that post was in reference to my original on this thread about our RIT.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    once i cough, i put on the mask
    I think that's actually a good way to describe how I prefer it. When you have actual thick smoke and it's enough where you have to cough.

MembersZone Subscriber

first off... DFW is not that humid. Try living in Houston.

Secondly, the reed hood is not a Texas things, its mainly a Houston thing, since a Houston Firefighter invented it to go along with the aggresiveness of Houston's firefighting.

Regardless, everyone does their own thing. Before Houston i didnt mask up till needed but now, I step off the truck ready to roll.
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I'd rather put a few holes in the house.
    The Reed isn't a substitute for ventilation. The weakest point remains the facepiece.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    first off... DFW is not that humid. Try living in Houston.

Secondly, the reed hood is not a Texas things, its mainly a Houston thing, since a Houston Firefighter invented it to go along with the aggresiveness of Houston's firefighting.

Regardless, everyone does their own thing. Before Houston i didnt mask up till needed but now, I step off the truck ready to roll.
    Not gonna argue the Reed,you're closer to the source than me. Not gonna argue your tactics either but OUTSIDE of Texas,who uses Reeds? Not many and the fires still go out. I've watched some video from your area and I'd like to suggest that based on the Videos,NO,you guys aren't doing Vent work the way we do it. AND with the Reeds you're saving a boatload of property even with that fact. I really don't think a home in houston burns much hotter than one here,BUT: We both do what works for us. I WILL guarantee my working conditions are COOLER 85% of the year. And a tip of the Leather to you guys for the great job you do.I'm PERFECTLY happy with a sock,tried a Reed once just so I could say I did. Not something I wanna do daily.I know you guys have great success with them,and more power to you. I contend that with proper vent work you can do AGRESSIVE interior work WITHOUT a Reed but thats just my opinion based on my years of service. Always nice to chat with you guys,it's ALWAYS a learning experience. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pipeman1822 View Post
    Kind of another topic here, but do you guys gear up for AFA's then?
    Gear and pack on (and I guess it has to be said, face piece off), tool in hand. If its a high rise, we take hose bundle and standpipe kit up.

We make people buy and install theses systems in their buildings and we expect people to take the alarms seriously and evacuate when they hear them, so why the F&%# would the fire department not take it seriously? We show up to an automatic alarm ready to work. Yea most of them are false, but so are a good chuck of other structure fire calls.

Forum Member

I think that's actually a good way to describe how I prefer it. When you have actual thick smoke and it's enough where you have to cough.
    Yeah, becuase we all know if there isnt thick black smoke the air MUST be ok to breath!
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

If I'm in a 10-story building and there's a fire on the 3rd floor and I'm checking the 8th, 9th, and 10th, do I really need to be on air? There might be a slight haze of smoke that traveled up the stairs or elevator shaft, but there's no way I'm wasting my air for that. I'm not the only one that said that either, even though I'm the only one you called out.
    Sorry if that came off as a call out, not my intention. What works for you may not work for the rest of us. However, who I am to tell you how to do things? I dont have the first 10 story building in my response area.

Do you guys do any kind of air monitoring while youre checking upper floors?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Double Post
    Last edited by pipeman1822; 04-28-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Gear and pack on (and I guess it has to be said, face piece off), tool in hand. If its a high rise, we take hose bundle and standpipe kit up.

We make people buy and install theses systems in their buildings and we expect people to take the alarms seriously and evacuate when they hear them, so why the F&%# would the fire department not take it seriously? We show up to an automatic alarm ready to work. Yea most of them are false, but so are a good chuck of other structure fire calls.
    I wouldn't say that we don't take them seriously. It's just how we work. We run probably over 100 AFAs every day in my department and haven't had a problem with this yet. Most of the time there's some kind of engineer or other employee that meets us at the door anyway telling us what the problem was.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Yeah, becuase we all know if there isnt thick black smoke the air MUST be ok to breath!
    If I'm in a 10-story building and there's a fire on the 3rd floor and I'm checking the 8th, 9th, and 10th, do I really need to be on air? There might be a slight haze of smoke that traveled up the stairs or elevator shaft, but there's no way I'm wasting my air for that. I'm not the only one that said that either, even though I'm the only one you called out.

Back In Black

Excellent point.

We do the same, pack on and tools in hand.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    We don a Facepiece as needed. Period. For one thing we have, and use, David Clark Headsets (We want to look like the NASCAR Crews) and anything like a Mask, Hood, etc would cause some serious problems with that. I also am in full agreement with those who mentioned Visibility, Communication, etc. Within my limited experience, I can't see any valid reason to don a Facepiece until you are Off the Rig...........
    The voice of reason sounded again
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

We don the SCBA in the truck while enroute and leave the mask off until arriving on scene. The only exception is when a fire is confirmed, smoke and fire showing kind of thing, and even then I strongly discourage it until they get off the truck and look around a bit. At least for the visibility of getting off the truck.

Sure, it's happened where guys get off with the mask on but we don't go on air until just entering the door.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

We do the same here. Pack up, tools in hand to include a TI. In addition, I will usually drop a supply line, but that sometimes depends on how it is dispatched.

Thread Information