View Poll Results: Do you wear your Facepiece on the rig to the run, and/or in a clear enviornment?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, never.

83 82.18%
  • Yes, every time.

3 2.97%
  • Only to confirmed fires.

11 10.89%
  • I do whatever my boss says.

7 6.93%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Forum Member

I never don my face piece while responding to the address. It tends to give you a level of tunnel vision. When I arrive on location, whether I am the Company Officer or a Firefighter, I need my vision clear and unimpeded so that I can perform a proper size-up (and if I am a FF I don't care who the Company Officer is, I am doing my OWN size-up.) In addition, you need to have clear, concise communication- If I am yelling at someone to pull a line, throw a ladder, whatever, I want them to hear me and I want them to hear me acknowledge them.

As far as wearing it in the clear, all depends on the situation. I did not vote due to the limited choices.

EDIT: I have no clue how my reply is above the OP's opening statement.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 04-23-2010 at 08:06 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I guess one would wonder if you had been drinking and had it on to hide the fumes.

Just wondering!

Forum Member

Default Face Piece or no Face piece?? That is the question...

Hello,

We are gathering research on whether or not wearing your facepiece on the apparatus to the fire scene is beneficial. Also wearing it in scenes where there is no visible smoke or hazard, and the chance of it becoming hazardous is very minimal. The thought process is that the environment would become hazardous, and you would be ready. Also saving you a step going on air, giving you a quicker attack.

Cons have been it hampers communication severely, visibility, tracking down smells, and also your breathing, since you are not on air. Face piece on, but not on air.
    I was searching for some studies, or actual hands on research of which is more practical, safer and better overall way of working while on the fire ground.
    We as a department have varying opinions as to this matter.
    I am of the opinion that the ability to communicate is severely hampered while wearing a facepiece. With the noises being generated by fans, saws, radio communications and apparatus engines, it is very difficult to communicate.

Like I said previously, there are other issues with visibility and breathing and loss of your senses that hamper your productivity as well.
    We would like some input or studies that show the benefits or hindrances on both sides.

Any hard facts or instances would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

FFMM

MembersZone Subscriber

Like Buff said, I wait to get to the door to mask up. Most of the time I am the company officer and need clear vision to do the size up. If not, I don't want to be tripping over things trying to stretch the line to the door.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireCanBurn View Post
    Hello,

Also wearing it in scenes where there is no visible smoke or hazard, and the chance of it becoming hazardous is very minimal???????????????????????? WHY??????????
    The thought process is that the environment would become hazardous, and you would be ready. Also saving you a step going on air, giving you a quicker attack. REALLY? It takes what ten seconds to put your mask and helmet on????

Cons have been it hampers communication severely, visibility, tracking down smells, and also your breathing, since you are not on air. Face piece on, but not on air.

I am of the opinion that the ability to communicate is severely hampered while wearing a facepiece. With the noises being generated by fans, saws, radio communications and apparatus engines, it is very difficult to communicate.

Like I said previously, there are other issues with visibility and breathing and loss of your senses that hamper your productivity as well.

Any hard facts or instances would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

FFMM
    I think with all of the CONS you are answering your own question.
    What if a guy getting out of the rig on a main road only has tunnel vision due to the facepiece and gets wasted by a motor vehicle? What if you trip and fall out of the rig because of having your mask on? I'm sure there are many more to add to this, like RUNNING OUT OF AIR, but I can't pick this apart too much on my own.

Pro's
    NONE

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by detroitfire1552 View Post
    Pro's
    NONE
    Pros- You look hardcore standing in the front yard watching it burn down.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Sarcasm
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

The face piece only goes if you're going inside/near the structure where there is confirmed or likely fire, or if the wind is blowing in such a way that the smoke is layering in the fireground. Too many cons as listed below and often, much of the initial work on the ground (pulling attack lines, hitting the hydrant, etc) doesn't need to waste air.

Also, most headsets in the engines won't find probably over a mask/hood.

Forum Member

I put it on when I need to. Kind of like determining when to crawl or not....Fire upstairs? Put it on at the top of the steps. Fire showing from the front door? Put it on there. Automatic alarm? Not a chance.

MembersZone Subscriber

I hear ya. Its just something we weigh. We try not to wear it when setting up, but figure it is worth the hassle to wear it after that to get to someone quick. Y'all have tripping hazards on the fireground?

MembersZone Subscriber

Our RIT dons facepieces when they get in place (after assuring ladders are thrown, equipment out, etc). This way they can immediately help someone. Used to notice fogging, but havent noticed/paid attention to it recently.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Not Here..............

We don a Facepiece as needed. Period. For one thing we have, and use, David Clark Headsets (We want to look like the NASCAR Crews) and anything like a Mask, Hood, etc would cause some serious problems with that. I also am in full agreement with those who mentioned Visibility, Communication, etc. Within my limited experience, I can't see any valid reason to don a Facepiece until you are Off the Rig...........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CustomShields View Post
    I put it on when I need to. Kind of like determining when to crawl or not....Fire upstairs? Put it on at the top of the steps. Fire showing from the front door? Put it on there. Automatic alarm? Not a chance.
    Sounds reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer534 View Post
    Our RIT dons facepieces when they get in place (after assuring ladders are thrown, equipment out, etc). This way they can immediately help someone. Used to notice fogging, but havent noticed/paid attention to it recently.
    What if someone appears at a window and a ladder has to be repositioned or another one thrown? Someone could need assistance below the fire floor too. Tripping over objects and twisting an ankle, chest pains, some type of partial collapse. But, do whatever works for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

I hear ya. Its just something we weigh. We try not to wear it when setting up, but figure it is worth the hassle to wear it after that to get to someone quick. Y'all have tripping hazards on the fireground?

MembersZone Subscriber

anytime I put my gear on I gotta put my mask on, except high rises.

We wear the Reed hood so its supposed to be done that way... at least its the proper way.

To reduce fog, you can either daily put soap in the mask, use anti-fog agents or spend ten bucks and buy 2 magnets with felt on them to wipe away the fog. Thats what I use. Maskview.com if you want to see them but u can probably build them urself for a lot cheaper.

While granted, it does limit your vision slightly and cause you to sweat more, our philosphy is when you get off the pumper, your ready for work. My job as a firefighter isnt to do a walkaround. Thats the captain's job.

On highrise alarms, its not feasible to wear the mask and go up stairs so we dont do it. However, tucking the reed around your coat can be an irritating task.

Most dont agree with the way we do things but I dont make the rules, I just follow them.
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

However, I disagree with most statements such as tunnel vision and clouds your vision.

It does decrease your vision somewhat but when your trained and properly put your hood on, its something you get used to.

The tunnel vision statement is a false one in my mind. If your getting tunnel vision on the fireground, its not because your facepiece. Its because your either not trained, not prepared mentally or just plain scared.

Dont blame the mask because you cant collect your thoughts
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

We have to in the winter time cause the heater is broke so we pipe the exhaust into the cab.
    IAFF

Forum Member

I agree with the above. Nothing to be gained from donning your facepeice until right before entry. Makes a person sound like a COMPLETE idiot on the radio while responding, and just clouds your vision when you get on scene.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I prefer to put my mask on once i get to the area that we encounter smoke/IDLH. For most SFDs that is the front door. for apartments it might be the landing below or just prior to forcing the apartment door. depends on the situation.

For RIT I do not mask up until entering the IDLH. I can understand your veiw of wanting to get in quick and not wasting the time to have to don your face mask. However by having you RIT guys masked up, you limit their ablity to see and identify problems as they occur.

Forum Member

Default durtfire59

Its hard to see the **** hitting the fan with your mask fogged up inside your pump when its 70 in the cab and 12 below outside.It takes 15 sec. to put it on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    We don a Facepiece as needed. Period. For one thing we have, and use, David Clark Headsets (We want to look like the NASCAR Crews) and anything like a Mask, Hood, etc would cause some serious problems with that. I also am in full agreement with those who mentioned Visibility, Communication, etc. Within my limited experience, I can't see any valid reason to don a Facepiece until you are Off the Rig...........
    How do you get the horses to wear a headset?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    My job as a firefighter isnt to do a walkaround. Thats the captain's job.
    And that is a BS statement if I ever heard one. Each and every person on the fireground needs to do their own size-up.

Any good Company Officer worth half his weight is going to tell you to do your own evaluation on top of his. He will not be swayed by it, insulted by it, or upset by it. Additionally, he will welcome input by any senior members if asked for it.

I once had a crusty Captain tell me when I first started working for him "Kid, I wanna go home just as much as you do. So when we get there, you have a look-see for yourself. And if you see anything that jumps out at you that I don't see, I wanna know about it!"

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up Well.........

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    How do you get the horses to wear a headset?
    TRAINING, My Dear Sir, TRAINING.............
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Huh??............

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Just to stand in the yard??? Isn't this a bit overkill?
    Of course it isn't...... What about the Apparatus exhaust??
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Department SOP states that the crew, with the exception of the officer, will step off the apparatus masked up for any reported fire, with the exception of brush only.

Officer has the option of mask on or off.

Last department had the same SOP.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Department SOP states that the crew, with the exception of the officer, will step off the apparatus masked up for any reported fire, with the exception of brush only.

Officer has the option of mask on or off.

Last department had the same SOP.
    Just to stand in the yard??? Isn't this a bit overkill?

Thread Information