Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Go to medic school or finish bachelors degree first?

Hi,

I would like some guidance on which of the two paths I should follow. I am 21 years old.

I have my EMT-B license and I am 15 credits away from getting an associates in science. I plan on attending an accelerated medic program in fall 2010 and then finishing up my associates degree in spring 2011. From there I guess I would either go to college or stick around town working as a paramedic and applying to departments until I got hired. Once hired, I could go to a commuter university and work on my bachelors degree part time.

My question is if I should just skip the medic training for now and just finish my associates degree in fall 2010. After my associates I would attend a university in spring 2011 and spend 2 more years at school getting a bachelors degree. Afterward I would go to medic school and start applying to departments. I would like to be a firefighter, but I would also like to go off to college and experience the dorm life like so many other students do.

Option number 2 is more appealing, however I am kind of turned away because of the large student debt I would incur from attending a large school. Most of the local departments offer to pay tuition if you attend part time while working as a ff. I have been thinking about this for a few months and I am having trouble making a decision. I spoke with a school counselor today but he was of little help.

Decisions decisions, can I get some input here? Thanks guys!

MembersZone Subscriber

once you have the degree it can't be taken from you......the paramedic might help you get hired. it's a toss up. I haven't gone to medic school as i don't have to, but i finished my degree before getting hired, i'm glad i did because i might not have ever finished my degree.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
    Hi,

I would like some guidance on which of the two paths I should follow. I am 21 years old.

I have my EMT-B license and I am 15 credits away from getting an associates in science. I plan on attending an accelerated medic program in fall 2010 and then finishing up my associates degree in spring 2011. From there I guess I would either go to college or stick around town working as a paramedic and applying to departments until I got hired. Once hired, I could go to a commuter university and work on my bachelors degree part time.

My question is if I should just skip the medic training for now and just finish my associates degree in fall 2010. After my associates I would attend a university in spring 2011 and spend 2 more years at school getting a bachelors degree. Afterward I would go to medic school and start applying to departments. I would like to be a firefighter, but I would also like to go off to college and experience the dorm life like so many other students do.

Option number 2 is more appealing, however I am kind of turned away because of the large student debt I would incur from attending a large school. Most of the local departments offer to pay tuition if you attend part time while working as a ff. I have been thinking about this for a few months and I am having trouble making a decision. I spoke with a school counselor today but he was of little help.

Decisions decisions, can I get some input here? Thanks guys!

You had to ask this question??

Get the degree first and it is yours for life!!

Forum Member

Get your degree.

Well 7thgear! I think you answered your own question by saying option #2 sounds more appealing, and I think the last couple of posters have co-signed for you. I was a firefighter/paramedic for 14 years before promoting and loved every minute of it! You see...I pursued a job as a firefighter soon after HS, was hired and subsequently sent to medic school. Man,,,were those years fun! But I'm actually trying to complete my bachelors degree right now. I have three kids, one already through college, two in college.So I know a little about debt. And it's tough with a family!

You have to know what it is that you want! I really wished that I could've had that college experience...dorm life, parties, the females and dating..and more parties, more females and some more dorm life. Guess what I would've discovered after I walked outta there with my degree?? The fire department is still there! I always try and tell young people who are NOT in a hurry to get hired; get your education NOW! It's only gonna get more expensive and the FD aint goin' anywhere. We'll still be here. But if you want the job NOW...then paramedic school is a no-brainer!

MembersZone Subscriber

Start applying now. Finish you AA since you're so close. Depending on the part of the country you're in, being a medic may make little difference in the actual hiring if the dept is only looking for FF/EMT. And you are correct, many depts will pay for your medic program and even pay for your time while you attend (at least during duty time). Then finish your BA while you're applying or once you're hired. You'll get in the retirement system NOW, which will make a big difference in 20-30 years, and it's that much sooner you'll get your seniority.

Your BA is an important thing to have under your belt, but it won't get you hired alone. A BIG word of CAUTION... you said you want to "experience the dorm life." Be careful and don't do anything that will jeopardize your background information. Look around the forums and you'll find numerous people that killed any chance of becoming a FF because of something stupid they did in college or when they were drunk. You're an adult now and can't write anything off as something you did while you were a kid.

As someone who is currently in Medic school. GO GET YOUR BACHELORS FIRST. I am happy i did it. Looking around my class there are only 3 of us who have it while the other 17 do not. Your degree will push you over the edge if its between you and one other individual for a spot

go get your degree and then your medic. That's what I did (3/4 through my medic school now) and I wouldn't even want to think about getting my AS again. Then all you got to take care of is your bachelors.

Good luck brotha

Thread Information