Thread: Deviated Septum

Default Deviated Septum

This is a question directed at any other Firefighters that have a deviated septum (no, I'm not on crack) and are SCBA users. 7 years ago when I joined, I could make a 30 minute bottle last almost the full time. Today, now that my nose is even worse, I breathe down a 45 minute composite bottle in about 20 minutes.

Working at mainly desk jobs and pushing papers has made me out of shape, but this concerns me a bit. I did a SCBA drill the other night and a bunch of probies still had over 1/2 a tank of air about the time my alarm was ringing. I am only assuming that this deviated septum is another contributor to me breathing down an airpack really fast? Has anyone else with this condition faced this problem?

Forum Member

I doubt that a deviated septum has anything to do with this. I had one for 25 years before I got it fixed and I'm the last guy to run out of air in the cylinder despite that fact that I still breathe through my mouth.

You need to hit the gym and practice your breathing techniques.

MembersZone Subscriber

Agreed. Improve your cardio and work on breathing techniques to control your breathing. These probies are probably in better shape, which as you know is a huge factor as to how quickly you drain a bottle.

Forum Member

A deviated septum will cause no such thing. Its just that you're out of shape. Don't worry, so am I.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Before my surgery, I had trouble breathing hiking up to wildland fires. I'm not sure if this was because of allergies/hay fever or because I always seemed to have a cold or runny nose. In academy I was one of the last recruits to run out of SCBA air on the stairs but I was also in better shape at that time. If you have any extra weight around your middle it can greatly affect your breathing. A deviated septum can affect your breathing to a point but if you know that you are out of shape, I would start there. Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ewilliams6208 View Post
    Working at mainly desk jobs and pushing papers has made me out of shape,
    This is what has caused your problem, not your deviated septum; which by the way I also had before I had it surgically corrected at the same time I had my nasal turbinates roto-rootored.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information