Forum Member

Default Proboard to Ifsac can it be done???

I have a Proboard cert. but I need a IFSAC cert. does anyone know how I can convert them over. I am in a non IFSAC state?

I am willing to pay if I have to!

Forum Member

The two organizations have reciprocity. Call someone at IFSAC and find out the procedure, usually it is done through fire academies or state certification agencies.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    The two organizations have reciprocity. Call someone at IFSAC and find out the procedure, usually it is done through fire academies or state certification agencies.
    If ya don't mind paying a $30 fee for another piece of paper.

Maybe one day we will have an truly single recognized national standard.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yep!!............

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

I Know this is a Scary thought, but I agree with LA. And along with a Single Standard, we should have Federal Legislation that sets certain Requirements that the Individual States must meet, without option.

1. All Training should be equal, and recognized as such everywhere else. No State should be able to require "Their" Training if you already have a Certificate in that field.

2. All States should have a State Fire Training Organization that provides all Training, AND/OR oversees Training provided by a City or County Fire Department. Community Colleges and similar institutions would be removed from the Fire Training Field.

3. ANY and ALL Training should be restricted to people who are already a member of a Fire Department.

4. All Costs associated with Fire Training must be provided by the Local or State Government. Training shall be totally Free to the Student.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I second all the above. The only thing I found is a few online schools in Texas that will alow me to apply for the IFSAC seals when I complete their course. ( Not cheap)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    I Know this is a Scary thought, but I agree with LA. And along with a Single Standard, we should have Federal Legislation that sets certain Requirements that the Individual States must meet, without option.

1. All Training should be equal, and recognized as such everywhere else. No State should be able to require "Their" Training if you already have a Certificate in that field.

2. All States should have a State Fire Training Organization that provides all Training, AND/OR oversees Training provided by a City or County Fire Department. Community Colleges and similar institutions would be removed from the Fire Training Field.

3. ANY and ALL Training should be restricted to people who are already a member of a Fire Department.

4. All Costs associated with Fire Training must be provided by the Local or State Government. Training shall be totally Free to the Student.
    Woods For President!
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

Hey azzhole, there are about 10 other threads on here where you are bitching about other, "nationalized" training being too complicated, or taking too much time for your precious volunteers. Things like "ground ladders." Does that ring a bell? Or is a national standard ok as long as Bizarro Parish, La. does not have to follow it?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Hey azzhole, there are about 10 other threads on here where you are bitching about other, "nationalized" training being too complicated, or taking too much time for your precious volunteers. Things like "ground ladders." Does that ring a bell? Or is a national standard ok as long as Bizarro Parish, La. does not have to follow it?
    Yes, there are other threads where I stated that many of the FFI skills will never be used by our personnel simply due to our building stock and the way we operate, so they are not included in our basic firefighter training package.

There is no point in learning skills that never will be used, and yes, training times with volunteers is limited, so we spend the time we have teaching them skills they will use. That basic training package also includes many FFII skills which are quite basic for us.

The idea that I would use initial training time teach a new recruit in my department to use a 35' ladder as an example, which has absolutely no application in our fire district simply because it is a "FFI skill", rather than use the time to teach him how to apply foam, which for us is an extremly basic skill, even though it's part of the FFII curriculum makes no sense.

It's the same with vehicle extrication, industrial operations such as flammable liquid and flammable gas fire attack, and vehicle extrication. And that whooping one page covering brush and wildfire operations is woefully inadequate for our needs given that brush and wildfires outnumber all other fires combined in our district by 2x or 3x, depending on how dry the year. They are all FFII skills by the book, but all far more essential to our personnel than many FFI skills because of what we have in our district.

Our rookie training package is built around our real world, not the world of the developers of the FFI cirriculum.

That being said, as I have said before, about 70% of our firefighters opt to take a FFI class after their initial training, and we teach it by the book. We require it for promotion beyond the rank of firefighter. We require it for full-time hire and require FFII by the end of the first year. And it's required by LSU Fire training for most advanced classes. So most of our guys take it. And our 1st time pass rate is over 90%, so they are obviously quite prepared. How hard is that to understand?

Most of our guys never leave the state, so tranferring to another state is really not an issue for us. Quite a few move onto career slots either in combo or all career departments, and we have never had a complaint about their training.

And by the way, right now there are no national training standards, and there are no training standards in LA. Each department does what they feel they need to do for it's area.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 04-27-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Thread Information