Forum Member

Default Traffic Warning System

All volunteer department population of around 7000 in 2 sq miles, 250 fire related incident per year no EMS. Closed 3 stations and consolidated all into one station on the main street which is a state highway. Traffic study shows 15k+ per day. We have had numerous near miss accidents with personnel and apparatus while trying exit and enter the building.
    We are looking to install a Solar Powered Fire Station Warning System to provide an increase level of safety for traffic approaching the fire station when emergency equipment is departing or returning.
    The cost is around 15K with no local or budgeted $ available
    Is this a fundable item / If so under what category
    Any help would be great
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by peak85 View Post
    All volunteer department population of around 7000 in 2 sq miles, 250 fire related incident per year no EMS. Closed 3 stations and consolidated all into one station on the main street which is a state highway. Traffic study shows 15k+ per day. We have had numerous near miss accidents with personnel and apparatus while trying exit and enter the building.
    We are looking to install a Solar Powered Fire Station Warning System to provide an increase level of safety for traffic approaching the fire station when emergency equipment is departing or returning.
    The cost is around 15K with no local or budgeted $ available
    Is this a fundable item / If so under what category
    Any help would be great
    Thanks
    Per the PG:

Firefighting Equipment Acquisition:

Traffic signal preemption systems are eligible.

Forum Member

Thanks onebugle
    Guess i didnt read the PG very good

Anyone out in grant land have success with this, if so any help would be great

Forum Member

Default PA Liquid Fuels Tax?

Some states allow use of gas tax funds that are earmarked for road improvements to cover the cost of traffic warning systems. In South Carolina this bucket of money is called 'C' Funds. PA might have something similar. A little Googling found this might be true for PA and available at the local level. A few phone calls might get you set up. http://www.auditorgen.state.pa.us/Re...yLiqFuels.html

Forum Member

I would look into the specifics of "preemption systems" a little more closely. I highly doubt it will cover the installation of the entire traffic control signal as well. I suspect it is for the installation of the preemption system on an existing traffic signal.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Default good luck

just use your fire police

we are off the main road but could use a warning system to warn oncoming traffic as well when we are getting close to entering the main road, blind hill 50+MPH traffic, our current way of getting apparatus out is fire police stop traffic if theyre around

this coming from a fire police captain =P

even with my red lights the traffic doesnt stop sometimes...

see where your local state farm insurance office is and approach them for funding as someone on here said they were awarded arrowsticks for their apparatus. i tried getting funding from them but they said they dont give equipment or at least no longer do who knows

also approach your local representatives and of course PENNDOT maybe youll get lucky and snag some funding
    Last edited by waveresponder587; 04-28-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Forum Member

Thank you all for your responses. Firedude801 thanks for the heads up on the fuel tax, was not aware of that. Our municipalities engineer is looking into what system will work best for us. I am waiting patiently for the report.

Thread Information