Forum Member

Default FDIC 2010 findings

Anyone find anything neat at the 2010 FDIC show this past week? I went and noticed that most every truck manufacturer there had the LED headlights that we had been discussing a while back. I will bet that more and more people will be ordering these now once they get a feel for how much of a difference they make for night time visibility.

Forum Member

We ran a pretty lengthy tread on this VERY subject here. Cobra loves 'em,I've yet to be convinced. LED technology is relatively new and MOST of the white Leds I've seen aren't as bring as some other technologies. Part of my Springfield trip will be looking and comparing this very subject. At the current pricing it will be quite awhile before we change any out.Still an area that warrants further investigation. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 93Cobra View Post
    I went and noticed that most every truck manufacturer there had the LED headlights that we had been discussing a while back. I will bet that more and more people will be ordering these now once they get a feel for how much of a difference they make for night time visibility.
    Do they make heated ones? There was a story here in Cleveland a few months ago about how the new LED traffic lights, that are now the standard, werent melting the snow and ice off of the lenses like the older style did. Engineers were trying to figure out a solution. For apparatus that run a lot in winter weather, could be an issue.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hard pressed to say anything good about Rosey but the demo tanker on IH Lonestar was a beautiful piece. Some nice body details as well.

Their hyd. drop sidestacker aerial hosebed also looked to be pretty well put together.

Not much impressive in koolaid land.

New Elkhart Sidewinder EXM was quite nice.

Forum Member

I'm with Rescue on the LED's. As long as we have the option to keep the halogens, then that is what we are going to stay with.

When we don't have that option anymore, then we won't have a choice. Who knows, something better might be along by then, and cheaper.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepiper1 View Post
    Do they make heated ones? There was a story here in Cleveland a few months ago about how the new LED traffic lights, that are now the standard, werent melting the snow and ice off of the lenses like the older style did. Engineers were trying to figure out a solution. For apparatus that run a lot in winter weather, could be an issue.
    Yes, these LED headlights are heated and have no issue with snow/ice build up. You can put your hand on the light after it has been on a few minutes and feel the warmth generated... same as the standard halogens. We have used these headlights this winter in Northeast, OH and have had ZERO issues with snow/ice/fog/rain/sleet etc.
    As far as optics go, these are well ahead of where you think they are. The light is focused (these are the large, round spheres that you see in the center of each bulb) in a manner that is perfect for night driving. I wish that you guys were able to have a set on a truck at your personal department. Once you try them out, you will never want anything else.
    As for cost, yes, they are more expensive than a standard headlight (pricing quoted at $1395 for all four lights from the distributor), but the benefits far outweigh the cost. It is a one time investment that will pay itself back over the life of the truck.

Forum Member

I can replace a BOATLOAD of Halogens for $1395. And I doubt you or anyone else is CERTAIN these are a "ONE TIME"purchase when you start flashing them. I don't have any trouble seeing at night with STOCK halogens,why is it you can't? Look at the LED'S? Yes I will,but I doubt that after a CAREFUL evaluation the GAIN will be worth the COST. $16K will buy us a lot of stuff we can USE. That ol' brow light does a nice job if the headlights fail(which they haven't). T.C.

Forum Member

This BS again?!? Cobra, fess up, do you own stock in LED headlamps or something? Your posts are as bad as the FIT-5 guy's who spams up every FF board he can find from coast to coast.

Forum Member

As for cost, yes, they are more expensive than a standard headlight (pricing quoted at $1395 for all four lights from the distributor), but the benefits far outweigh the cost.
    The benefits DO NOT outweigh the cost at $1400 for a set.

Forum Member

Have all the United States, State Police or the regulatory agency and the state general assemblies approved these for use?

No sence buying something you can use on the street. Too many new gadgets on the market, but they need approval in your state before they can be installed and used.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee
    Have all the United States, State Police or the regulatory agency and the state general assemblies approved these for use?

No sence buying something you can use on the street. Too many new gadgets on the market, but they need approval in your state before they can be installed and used.
    Technically, the States have to abide by The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard under the Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration. They follow the standards and specifications based on SAE recommendations Nationally.

A State cannot say what is allowed or not allowed, as long as they are DOT/SAE approved, and installed by the factory/manufacturer. They can only control what lights are allowed outside of the basic lighting of a vehicle. States can control placement, color, and use of other lights.

In Nebraska, you can get a ticket if your fog lights are not a minimum of 12 inches from the ground. Installing aftermarket headlights that are DOT/SAE approved being visible on the lens, is allowed.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

How about a sealed beam replacement system that gives you a standard automotive 6004 or equivalent bulb in a reflector housing? Does anybody have any experience with these? I've begun digging into systems from Hella and Sylvania that would utilize one of the Silverstar type bulbs. I've been a firm believer in those bulbs in my personal vehicle, and I was hoping that it would make a difference beyond what a normal halogen bulb gives out. I can't justify the $1300 price to retrofit a rig, but we would like more light than is put out by the standard bulbs. It seems like it could be a more cost effective solution than going HID or LED.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post

Yes, they are DOT approved so you can run them everywhere without issue.
    We got these ordered on our new truck because we cannot see at night. This has been a huge problem for us over the last 10 years... blowing bulbs consistently was another contributing factor, but not the driver to spec these out on the truck. These are exactly what we needed and will be in all of our apparatus.
    If only you guys could compare the two at night... you would have a MUCH different opinion. The four year warranty on these things is not bad either.

I am just trying to help everyone out here - sorry if you guys are offended with this. I figured everyone would be happy about getting something like this on their truck so that they can see where they are going at night.

MembersZone Subscriber

Walmart sells eyeglasses for less than $100. Or perhaps need white sticks?

I've never had a blown fire truck headlight. For that matter I don't think I've had a car headlight bulb blow in the last 15years. What are you guys doing?

Forum Member

Our lights are on all the time, plus we have alternating headlights. I try to get the guys to shut down the lights at training, but that doesn't work. I have also talked to many other places locally that have the same problem with going through bulbs.
    I would put these up against any other light out there and you will see a huge difference. I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea - I was just hoping to pass along useful information to others that may have the same issues that we had. I will shut up about it now. I am tired of getting beat up on this.

Forum Member

I will shut up about it now. I am tired of getting beat up on this.
    Good!!! I think we've had enough of your "sales pitch".

Forum Member

Question Fdic

Any other options or new items from apparatus builders other than" LED HEAD LIGHTS "?

Forum Member

Apparently not. I was hoping to find out about the Spartan Severe Duty Chassis mentioned on another thread.

C6

Forum Member

Default FDIC pics...

Here are some pictures from FDIC.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Forum Member

Default 2010 engines come with...

Here are some pictures from underneath a Pierce pumper showing what comes with the new engines.

Forum Member

Yeah I can see one good scrape against the under body taking just about all of that and turning it into scrap metal...and canvas! Really is that a canvas sack attached to the bottom of that truck!? My god what the heck is the EPA thinking.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

That's not a canvas bag. It's a radiant heat reducer. The temperature in that pipe is over 900F.

Forum Member

Default Crimson's "PUB" underneath.

Here are some pictures of the pump assembly under the Crimson "PUB".

Forum Member

Default "PUB"pics cont.....

This pipe is the front suction and the black one is for the preconnect.

Forum Member

I know we already talked about these but I had to post this picture:
    Last edited by TruckGuy; 05-01-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Thread Information