Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default SUV Command/Rescue/Utility Truck

Looking at getting ideas for a SUV type vehicle for our department. Its primary use is for running medical calls (minor in nature - difficulty breathing, diabetic, etc) we also use it as a command vehicle and for going to and from classes/events

Wondering if anyone has any ideas, suggestions, tips, pics etc as to what we might want or not want

We are looking at a Chev Suburban or Ford Expidedition EL type vehicle

We want to be able to fit a backboard in the vehicle somewhere along with necessary medical supplies, fire extinguisher, fire investiation tools, etc

We currently use a F-250 supercrew with a toper on the bed but we want to convert that toa grass truck

Also in the back we would be looking at like a truck vault system or somethign to organize the back

If anyone has any input I wold greately appreciate the help!! THANKS

Talking

Are you looking for an emergency response vehicle or a soccer mom buggy?
    Something to haul personnel is not necessarily the most suited for hauling equipment and responding in emergency situations.
    The suburban/expeditions are fine as a chiefs buggy but are not the optimum type of vehicle, unless you can justify having a shiny car sitting in the station. You can get roll out
    equipment modules for the back if you lose the rear seats, but then their not a butt hauler.

That is quite a few rolls for one rig to take on, I mean if it was just Medical and Utility then yeah I can see it. But adding the command portion to it is asking a bit much IMO. I think the command rig should be the Chiefs Vehicle and that alone. Our chief has his personal rig layed out as a command truck and it works wonders. Maybe that could be an option your chief would like to look at.

As far as the Medical rig goes, I'd make that its primary purpose to be a medical rig. The number of people it can fit is easily adjusted by the size of the vehicle. For example our Light Rescue is a Ford F350 Quad cab with a Reading Utility box and some custom diamond plate boxes mounted on it. Its got room for 4 geared Firefighters if nessecary, and carries any type of medical equipment we can think of. From our BLS and ALS kits, to cold water suits and Low Angle Rescue equipmet including a tri-pod. Its extreamly versitile and can go from running med calls, to transporting extra man power to the scene or Mutual aid if we need to bolster the crew that already went down.

An SUV, though it will have plenty of room for crew, wont have as much room for Equipment. Getting Back boards in there might require some modifications or slipping them between the back seats. And it also doesn't leave much room for additional equipment down the road. SUV's look pretty, and they make great Command cars and troop transports (So to speak) But for a medical rig, maybe not so much. If I were you I'd look into other options as well, keep your options broad.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

A few questions.

When you talk about going to class, are you referring to driving 2 districts over for a day-long class or taking 5 of the troops 200 miles for a 2 or 3 day class requiring PPE and street clothes?

It does make a difference.

An SUV with medical gear will do just fine for that day-long or 4 hour class, but unless you want to unload it, the room isn't there for that 2 or 3 day class a few hours away.

We use a 2-door and 4-door pickups with a modified utility body for EMS response. the trucks also act as service trucks and carry saws, salvage covers and 4 spare SCBA and bottles as well as a few handtools.

Could a SUV be used in the EMS role? Sure, in fact a department I used to work part-time for has just such a vehicle, and it works well for EMS, but that is about all the gear that can fit into it.

We also have 2 SUVs that are usaed as command vehicle's by the chief and the duty officer on the weekends. Those are the vehicles we use for class.

Forum Member

I'll try to answer some of the questions! First off thanks for your responses very helpful!

---My Department is a volunteer department and we average 200 calls per year with the majority being BLS response to medicals

The main purpose for this rig would be for day to day medical calls. We have two bags (Trauma Bag/Equipment Bag And Oxygen/Airway bag) along with Defib
    We also like to carry one-two backboards on the truck in case what we get dispatched to is not what we find when we arrive (WAIT THAT NEVER HAPPENS......HAHA)

The 2nd roll the truck serves is a first out vehicle if manpower allows. It will roll with one officer so he can get on scene and left responding units know what we have

The thrid roll is for transporting members to classes/meetings (mainly without our county but once in a while we go outside) Normally it is a one day class and if it is more than one day we encourage members to use their personal vehicles. This is why the chief wants a SUV so we are not driving a fire truck looking vehicle to classes/meetings etc

We are in Minnesota and the chief wants something where our gear will stay warm so he is opposed to a utility type vehicle with equipment in the back because he wants the gear warm.....Anyone with any experience in cold weather climates and a utility truck?

Has anyone seen a backboard holder that mouonts on the ceiling of the interior of the truck? we are looking at the pull out modules to put in the back but I am more worried about the backboard issue than anything.... If someone has a pic or a place where they got it I would appreciate it!

Keep the questions coming and let me know what more you guys think! THANKS for all the help - gives me a lot to ponder about!

Captain T.

You guys can debate the merits of SUV or pickup or van all you want, but I'll offer this: Our '05 or so Ford Expedition is a complete heap. I hate it. Our chief hates it. Ride, rattles, mechanical issues, etc. Now that Ford no longer offers an Excursion, I would only have a 3/4-ton Suburban. Too bad they don't put the diesel in it.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Quote Originally Posted by kcop View Post

We are in Minnesota and the chief wants something where our gear will stay warm so he is opposed to a utility type vehicle with equipment in the back because he wants the gear warm.....Anyone with any experience in cold weather climates and a utility truck?

Captain T.
    Right here Brother, I'm in Vermont and our winters can get pretty damn cold. We have not experianced any of our equipment being damaged by cold weather in the back of our utility body. And we carry a rack full of Saline in one of the compartments, never in my 5 years has any of it frozen while sitting outside in the winter time.

Our AED also sits in the body, and its does just fine as well. The only thing we do our best to keep out of the cold is the ALS kit. Which we sit in the back seat along with our Pedi kit and off road BLS kit.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about here is a picture of the truck, I'll snap a few pictures of the body and interior of the cab later today and post em up as well.

Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Thread Information