Forum Member

Default Tampa vs Hillsborough..

Hey guys I was just looking around and didnt seem to come across any comparison of the 2 departments..I was wondering if some of you guys could give me some insight on either of the departments. I am looking for both pro's and con's of each department. Why should I shoot for one over the other?

Maybe if someone switched from the tampa dept. to the hillsborough dept. or vice versa and what was the reasoning?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Aal2oN; 04-28-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Forum Member

Because Hillsborough's engines are green.....enough said.

Honestly, in this climate, you don't have the luxury to be picky.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky2 View Post
    Because Hillsborough's engines are green.....enough said.

Honestly, in this climate, you don't have the luxury to be picky.
    Yeah thats pretty much what i was thinking but who knows it could happen so thats why i ask..

Forum Member

heh, I didn't like the green, but I found out it was done for safety reasons (there was a study that showed green was the most visible color on the roadways.)
    fwiw, when I got out of fire academy I applied almost everywhere. however, when I got my letter for the physical agility test for tampa (after taking the civil service test which had at least one question with no correct answer) I decided against moving forward in their process. the main negatives I had about tampa after working for the ambulance in pinellas county was poor pt. care. I had one experience with it personally, and heard many stories. after 5 years in pinellas and 4 in hillsborough, I continue to hear horror stories about pt. care in tampa. it's also (obviously) a city department. some people want nothing but a city dept. personally I would prefer suburbs. there are pros and cons to both, but a lot of it is simply personal preference.
    you could also compare pay scales, pensions, unit staffing, etc. the only thing I'll bring up there is about unit staffing. I didn't even know this until recently and at first I didn't believe it because I hadn't heard of this sort of procedure before. apparently there are officers on the rescue units and they do all patient care. the ambulance driver (and I will call it that since that's what it is) drives all day and does not attend. but you actually have to be promoted to be an ambulance driver. I prefer the ability to move back and forth between units (even though I don't like the rescue) as I feel you get a better overall experience and can keep up with the varied skills we're supposed to have. also, tampa rescue officers are allowed to act up as captain on the engines. I'm definitely not familiar enough with tampa to say anything about that, but if the rescue officers in hillsborough were allowed to act captain, I would be scared to go on any fire call. it's just a completely different job with a different knowledge base, experience and training required. I also heard that the acting captain rescue officers don't have to be engine drivers. if something goes wrong with an engine (especially the pump), the captain is the first person the driver looks to for help.

disclaimer: virtually everything I said is hearsay and any statement in here could be incorrect. if I were you, I would try to ride along once or twice at both dept's. if you still need medic school, that would be an excellent opportunity to observe both dept's.
    Last edited by reebokHCFR; 04-29-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Forum Member

Does HCFR have rescue Officers? Also would you happen to know when the next hiring might be?

Forum Member

yes and no. there are some people on here who seem to be much more in the loop than I am though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by reebokHCFR View Post
    disclaimer: virtually everything I said is hearsay and any statement in here could be incorrect. if I were you, I would try to ride along once or twice at both dept's. if you still need medic school, that would be an excellent opportunity to observe both dept's.
    LOL good try.

Tampa pension is second to none. Disadvantage is you pay into it. Sometimes really high, sometimes really low. County is controlled by the government with no contributions...as of now.

Pt Care is the same as any dept. Hillsborough, Miami, LA, any dept has stories. Most....MOST...with a paramedic cert.....do a good job, as with any other dept.

"the ambulance driver (and I will call it that since that's what it is) drives all day and does not attend. but you actually have to be promoted to be an ambulance driver."

The ambulance driver drives to calls, and anything that requires transport of serious nature has an emt from the engine drive, while the "ambulance driver" provides pt care as the Lieutenant supervises.

Obviously I have held back my own personal stories, with regard to a public forum. Your disclaimer means nothing, any criticisms you have or opinions you have should be kept to yourself and not be stated as fact, because it does nobody any good, and you obviously buy into gossip and hearsay.

Forum Member

I do plan to do the ride along here very shortly with hillsborough then i will try to setup a ride along with a tampa station..and every department has their bad eggs, but thats not really what im looking for I am looking more along the lines of stuff like each departments equipment, which i have been told that hillsborough's equipment is better than tampa's idk if thats true but its what ive heard. The pension thing was a good point for this topic. So things like that are really what I am looking for.

MembersZone Subscriber

This day and age test everywhere you can then worry about you dream job. All I can say is take what you can get and go from there. I was just lucky enough to get my dream job first time out.

Forum Member

In reality both jobs are dream jobs..Im just trying to see if the pro's for one department out way the other

makes good girls go bad

I was told (yesterday at the HCFR Paramedic ONLY test by their Training Officer) that there are Rescue Lts for HCFR.
    I also have stopped by TFD Sta. 1 and talked to the crews there, and talked to a TFD Rescue Lt. at the Phils/Yanks game at Legends Field 2 months back.
    I can confirm (by talking to TFD guys) what he said.
    The Lt. treats everyone, can act up as a Capt.
    The "Bus Driver", does all of the initial tx on scene, as the Lt gets info from the pt and family, then drives to the hospital.

I am still a little confused as to what the PMO for HCFR is going to do. Something about working on a vollie Engine Co. was mentioned, which confuses me....
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

medic only people are called empacct medics (their union is empacct. http://empacct3525.org/) they basically ride rescues their entire career. they can eventually get a spot as the paramedic on a volunteer engine if so inclined. career firemedics do not ride volunteer engines.
    this way the county can provide ALS coverage without paying for a career engine.

makes good girls go bad

How does that work?
    Are they Chauffers?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

no, at hcfr it's up to the officer (although usually we just decide between ourselves in the morning) who attends and who drives. switching out call for call is common, or half shift.

makes good girls go bad

What about on the vollie Engine Co?
    How does that work?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

once you're "standalone" (can be the only medic on an engine. consists of 1944 hours on a rescue and a medical and trauma scenario) empacct medics can be used on volunteer engines. they just ride backwards. there are only 2 ALS volunteer engines.

makes good girls go bad

Interesting.
    Shooting a PM your way bro.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Thread Information