Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Truck Replacement Question

This may have been discussed before, but I don't remember seeing it.
    We are requesting a new tender for 2010 AFG. Under the question of how many trucks you own in this category, I only have 1 tender, but I have 1 pumper/tender which falls under pumper category.
    We intend to replace the tanker which is a 1974 home built truck that was a military surplus truck. This truck will be stripped and returned to foresty to be disposed of. We also intend to sell the pumper/tender which is a 1989 canopy cab Mack, but would still be a servicable truck with some work.
    My question is under the question of what I am replacing, if I put the 1974 truck, then it asks how many calls the truck ran the last year. The truck did not run any calls because it is not safe to use. It needs new tires, some of the wiring has burnt off of it and it did not run at all for several months because of mechincal problems. Is that going to hurt me on the computer scoring?
    If I put the Mack under the question, then I am afraid I will not score as well under computer review because it is not as old of a truck and is a factory built truck. It has run on all structure fires in our district as well as all mutual aid structure fire calls.
    As I stated we intend to replace both trucks. I think I can make a good argument under per review for the need to replace the trucks, but I need to make sure I get to peer review.
    Thanks for any advice anyone can give me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's my thoughts. If you're out to replace the tanker, do just that. Write your narrative highlighting how dangerous that one is and why it hasn't responded to any calls. I don't recall anything in the application requesting how many calls each apparatus ran, at least. The information you presented gives a strong argument as to why it hasn't ran any calls.

I'd leave the pumper/tanker out of the equation. That is unless you were applying for a single truck with the capabilities of both trucks (a pumper/tanker with at least the capacity of the two).

If the Mack is still a servicable truck, even if it might take a little work, it would be a shame to include it and have to take it out of firefighting service. There are a lot of departments out there that are willing to spend the time and money to put into a 20 year old truck that may serve them for any number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I don't recall anything in the application requesting how many calls each apparatus ran, at least.
    The application did in fact reference how many calls the vehicle identified for replacement ran.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    The application did in fact reference how many calls the vehicle identified for replacement ran.
    OK, I had no idea. I guess it's been a while since I put in for a replacement.

Thread Information