Forum Member

Default Hi, from Virginia Beach, Va. Questions! Please help.

Hello, I'm currently trying to do some research on "How to become a Fire Fighter." It has been a life goal of mine for some time. I really am passionate about this career. I just need a little help getting started. Where do I start? Where is the Academy in my area? What are some requirements I have to meet? Do I have to do an X-amount of time as a volunteer Fire fighter first before becoming a legit Fire fighter? Any help would be great! web sites for information on these things or just a simple comment with detail instructions on the steps of becoming a Fire fighter.

Thank you for your time.
    -Robert

If you need to email me: robert_intense@yahoo.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by robert_intense View Post
    Hello, I'm currently trying to do some research on "How to become a Fire Fighter." It has been a life goal of mine for some time. I really am passionate about this career. I just need a little help getting started. Where do I start? Where is the Academy in my area? What are some requirements I have to meet? Do I have to do an X-amount of time as a volunteer Fire fighter first before becoming a legit Fire fighter? Any help would be great! web sites for information on these things or just a simple comment with detail instructions on the steps of becoming a Fire fighter.

Thank you for your time.
    -Robert

If you need to email me: robert_intense@yahoo.com

First of all in Virginia, you have to be a member of a fire department in Virginia or a state that Viriginia is associated with to attend any fire schools. Most Virginia Career FD's hire the new member and then send them to thieir academy or one that is assoicated with theirs. You just don't go to a academy on your own and then try to get a job.

Virginia is not like other states where you pay to go to a fire academy and them hope you can get a job with the training you paid for. You are hired by a Viriginia department and they pay YOU while you are taking their academy courses.

The best bet would be to check with the various departments in the Tidewater area to see if they are accepting applications for firefighter. You may try to get on with a volunteer department and they will train you too anf if a paid position come up you may have a better chance to get a job than someone that isn't a firefighter.

Stop by a fire house in Virginia Beach or Chesapeake to see if what they are doing as to taking applications for paid career or volunteer members.

MembersZone Subscriber

Last i heard chesapeke and norfolk, roanoke, prince george county and a few other i think richmond just did theirs. Also I think newport news does theirs like twice a year and it should be coming up from what I saw those are the ones hiring. Like the guy said before u check out isle of white county for volunteer oportunitys but as fare as academdys u have to be hired on a department. I was in va beach in the military and got out in august I did alot of research into work out there. I was also a volunteer on the smithfield volunteer fire department excellent department. A way to get your foot in the door and might help you out alot is look into the rescue squads of virginia beach another excellent organization and will give you all the training you need in EMS. Hope this helps if you would like to know anything else just let me know.

Thread Information