Forum Member

Default Question on how to become a fire fighter. Please help.

Hello, I'm currently trying to do some research on "How to become a Fire Fighter." It has been a life goal of mine for some time. I really am passionate about this career. I just need a little help getting started. Where do I start? Where is the Academy in my area?(Virginia Beach, Va.) What are some requirements I have to meet? Do I have to do an X-amount of time as a volunteer Fire fighter first before becoming a legit Fire fighter? Any help would be great! web sites for information on these things or just a simple comment with detail instructions on the steps of becoming a Fire fighter.

Thank you for your time.
    -Robert

If you need to email me: robert_intense@yahoo.com

Forum Member

It depends on the department. I would look at joining a vol dept first to get a feel for the profession and to see if it actually is what you wanna do. You can go to vafire.com. this is the state of virginia. You would have to complete the firefighter academy. Im not familiar with virginia but i would contact your local dept and see what they say. they would be able to give you more info.
    this is link for virginia beach fire. It includes alot of useful info.
    http://www.vbgov.com/vgn.aspx?vgnext...00870b640aRCRD

MembersZone Subscriber

There are several routes you can take to become a paid professional Firefighter. Each state has different rule and regulations on what they require. I would first start out by researching this forum to see what you can find. Second, research what your state requires and if there are any fire academy's in your area. In Texas some civil service departments do not require you to have any certificate's...they will pay you while you are in school if they decided to hire you. If you decided to take the volunteer route alot of volly departments hire within there volunteers. Be sure your background is clear and you do not have anything that would kick you out of the hiring process and don't waist your time, money and effort. Any other questions just ask and search this website.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by robert_intense View Post
    Hello, I'm currently trying to do some research on "How to become a Fire Fighter." It has been a life goal of mine for some time. I really am passionate about this career. I just need a little help getting started. Where do I start? Where is the Academy in my area?(Virginia Beach, Va.) What are some requirements I have to meet? Do I have to do an X-amount of time as a volunteer Fire fighter first before becoming a legit Fire fighter? Any help would be great! web sites for information on these things or just a simple comment with detail instructions on the steps of becoming a Fire fighter.

Thank you for your time.
    -Robert

First of all in Virginia, you have to be a member of a fire department in Virginia or a state that Viriginia is associated with to attend any fire schools. Most Virginia Career FD's hire the new member and then send them to thieir academy or one that is assoicated with theirs. You just don't go to a academy on your own and then try to get a job.

Virginia is not like other states where you pay to go to a fire academy and them hope you can get a job with the training you paid for. You are hired by a Viriginia department and they pay YOU while you are taking their academy courses.

The best bet would be to check with the various departments in the Tidewater area to see if they are accepting applications for firefighter. You may try to get on with a volunteer department and they will train you too anf if a paid position come up you may have a better chance to get a job than someone that isn't a firefighter.

Stop by a fire house in Virginia Beach or Chesapeake to see if what they are doing as to taking applications for paid career or volunteer members.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And............

Maryland is the Same as Virginia on the Training Requirements, in that you must be a member of a Fire Department, Paid or Volunteer, BEFORE you can take any kind of Training. Others have said, and I agree, try being a Volunteer first, if you can. That is a Learning Experience, No Question.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Thank you for your time.
    -Robert

Last time I checked I was a legit Firefighter Maybe my chief has been lying to me all these years and I'm just a pretend one....

Anyways, pet peeves aside I agree with a lot of the others here. Start out in the Volunteer field and see if its something that you really are interested, it's will be your best bet at getting started in this field of work. And if you find yourself truly excited and you love the job, go out and apply for a career position. Best of luck to ya.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Default Question on how to become a FF

I have been a firefighter for 13 years and have sat on the hiring board 5 times. As you know the economy is terrible and fire depts all over the country are starting to cut man power instead of increasing it. This has had the effect of making an already hard to get job even harder to get. The volunteer route (the one I took) is a good way to get your foot in the door while your getting your education. I would say go to school and get a fire protection degree, this will take you a few years but go ahead and get your emt at the same time and try to get on a volunteer dept. always apply for every job opening you can find this will get you familiar with the testing proceedures and you will get better at it the more times you do it. next if you have not been hired go start on your paramedic while continuing to apply. In my area paramedics that can make it through the testing are hard to find because all the depts in the area are trying to hire them. Good luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting44 View Post
    I have been a firefighter for 13 years and have sat on the hiring board 5 times. As you know the economy is terrible and fire depts all over the country are starting to cut man power instead of increasing it. This has had the effect of making an already hard to get job even harder to get. The volunteer route (the one I took) is a good way to get your foot in the door while your getting your education. I would say go to school and get a fire protection degree, this will take you a few years but go ahead and get your emt at the same time and try to get on a volunteer dept. always apply for every job opening you can find this will get you familiar with the testing proceedures and you will get better at it the more times you do it. next if you have not been hired go start on your paramedic while continuing to apply. In my area paramedics that can make it through the testing are hard to find because all the depts in the area are trying to hire them. Good luck
    Agree with most of what you are saying. But I don't agree with the Fire degree right out the gate. Being how hard it is to get into this field you want to have a fall back get a degree in an unrelated field. A 4 year degree no matter what it is in will look good.

I alwasy suggest starting out taking an EMT-B course. As much as most of us don't like it. Fire is running on about 90percent medical calls now of days. So IMO if you can't make it throw an EMT-b class or can't stand the medical side of it. You really need to look at another career.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Thank you for your time.
    -Robert

Going to school and getting your emt would help get you a long way. I don't know if virginia uses the emt I 85 or not but if they do go ahead and put in the extra hours in and get that. Good luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Itshotinhere View Post
    Going to school and getting your emt would help get you a long way. I don't know if virginia uses the emt I 85 or not but if they do go ahead and put in the extra hours in and get that. Good luck
    EMT On I-85??? What are you trying to say?

He will get the EMT provided by the FD or RS after he joins up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    EMT On I-85??? What are you trying to say?

He will get the EMT provided by the FD or RS after he joins up.
    You know emt-b, emt-I " Either I-85 or I-99 depending on where you live" And emt-P. Some states don't use the intermediate and just use basic and paramedic.

Most fire depts here won't even look at you unless you already have your license.

Thread Information