Forum Member

Default would an exchange to an irish fire station for a year be useful?

Lads,

I have been on another thread asking about potential exchange partners - under the guise of the international exchange program - you come here, ireland, and i go there - i was wondering did you folks think it would be something useful to career advancement or not ?

mac

Forum Member

Irish fire is the exact same as Swedish/English/Chinese/Tasmanian etc fire--the only differences is building construction--so if your local area is building Irish style housing/complex --go for it.

Could go for South Africa--mud huts are easy.
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Forum Member

fire is fire - thats true - but so much else is different: guidelines, procedures, manning numbers, equipment, vehicles.

my question is more to do with these differences : do people think learning how another country's fire dept operates would be good for your career ahead ?

Forum Member

First of all you would have to apply a visa to work in the US to work here, if it an exchange.

Contact the US State Department.

You you are thinking about coming over and applying for a job, forget the idea. You have to be a US Citizen to apply.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    First of all you would have to apply a visa to work in the US to work here, if it an exchange.

Contact the US State Department.

You you are thinking about coming over and applying for a job, forget the idea. You have to be a US Citizen to apply.
    i am lookin to do an exchange at some point in my career- i am a full time firefighter and far too happy in my home station to consider anything like a permanent move... just wondered did people think they are worthwhile

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by uiscemac View Post
    i am lookin to do an exchange at some point in my career- i am a full time firefighter and far too happy in my home station to consider anything like a permanent move... just wondered did people think they are worthwhile
    I would do it, but not for a career move, but because living in Ireland for a year would be fun.

I like the idea of an exchange, but on a professional level, I don't know why a department would agree ot it, except fora s a novelty. It takes time to train anyone to work in a department, and taking somone from the other side of the globe and plopping them into your department, I think, would be tough. Anyone who joins a department (as in gets hired) has to go through an academy, regardless of the amount of experience they have. But the dept is willing to invest that time and money, because they expect the candidate to be around for a long, long time. If they knew the candidate were leaving in a year or even two, there's no way he/she would get hired. Why would an exchange be any different?

Thread Information