Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2010 q

Forum Member

Default 2010 q

would a gear washer and dryer and a SCBA fill station compressor be two items that could go together in a single grant. Would they both go under equiptment?
    any narrative on succcesfull washer/dryer and SCBA compressor would help
    thanks

Talking

While both can be a winner::::: with less funding available in 2010 , I would go for the compressor as a standalone project to increase your odds.
    It's the more expensive of the two and certainly more important to firefighter safety than a washer. Think highest priority on the AFG program guidance.

A gear washer is getting down to the really nice to have but not necessary category.
    A peer reviewer might think to himself that if thats all they can think to ask for funding then they probably don't need us to fund it.

Yes many have been awarded , but in my opinion none should be until every firefighter in this country has safe modern turnout gear and SCBA. Spend the funding where it will do the most good.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 04-30-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Yes many have been awarded , but in my opinion none should be until every firefighter in this country has safe modern turnout gear and SCBA. Spend the funding where it will do the most good.
    I do understand your position, but having a washer/dryer will extend the life of PPE, provide greater safety to firefighters currently wearing contaminated gear, and will mean that less applications to replace gear that was improperly cared for will be received. (More money for other important stuff!)

For the minimal cost on the return, I think it is a worthwhile project. However, I agree go for one, not both.

Talking

My thinking on the washer not being a priority item is: You can do as most of us have for decades. Lay the soiled gear out on the hose rack and get a bucket of detergent and scrub brush, rinse well and hang it up to dry. Is it as efficient as just tossing it in a machine?
    Probably not, but spending federal tax dollars to buy them when many of our brothers & sisters are wearing unsafe T/O gear or old non pressure demand SCBA is just criminal.

As I stated above : Once all the serious safety needs of every firefighter in this nation are met then sure let everyone ask for the third tier items that make the list of really nice to have if we only had an unlimited budget. If all you can think of to ask for is a washing machine::: then you must be pretty well off.

Too many folks are getting Dj'd on basic needs when others are trying to think of what to ask for next because they have ALL their basic needs met, & are just looking to get some more gravy.

End of rant: not pointing fingers at anyone in particular , just an observation.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 04-30-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Forum Member

Hey joshp, I received funding for an extractor and dryer a couple years ago and I have to say it was a GREAT project. I don't know how we ever functioned without it. I can tell you that our gear has stayed in much better shape and our guys are exposed to fewer contaminates because of our new system. It gets the job done properly and returns the gear to service quickly. I'll send you my narrative if you like.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Sent it to you. Good luck.

Forum Member

My company received both on the same grant this past year. We also received $$ to renovate a room to accomodate the compressor. Around 48K total. It is all under equipment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    My thinking on the washer not being a priority item is: You can do as most of us have for decades. Lay the soiled gear out on the hose rack and get a bucket of detergent and scrub brush, rinse well and hang it up to dry. Is it as efficient as just tossing it in a machine?
    Probably not, but spending federal tax dollars to buy them when many of our brothers & sisters are wearing unsafe T/O gear or old non pressure demand SCBA is just criminal.....

End of rant: not pointing fingers at anyone in particular , just an observation.
    Problem with that theory is that it doesn't happen. The gear either doesn't get cleaned or it goes home and into mom's Maytag. Both poor outcomes.

A compressor nice to have in the station but frequently becomes one more in the county. In 2010 there is a compressors on just about every 2nd or 3rd station you drive by. Taking cylinders in to a neighbor on the occassions they need fill is to big a hassle get a cascade system and have it filled twice a year using the county/West Undershirt FD's mobile compresser. Problem with compressor is you are also biting of significant upkeep and maint costs. And most expenses come from not being used enough (like minimum 2hr/m). If you're only filling 25 cylinders a month a compressor just a very expensive waste of $.

Perhaps a commerical washer/extractor on the same regional trailer as the compressor. Wash the gear twice a year when refill the cascade system.
    Last edited by neiowa; 05-02-2010 at 09:24 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would apply for all myself. Their is a NFPA Standard for washing turn out gear and complying with a Standard is the highest priority for the grant. I am not a professional grant writer by any means, just my two cents. I do have a narrative for all of the above that we were awarded. E mail me if you would like a copy.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Problem with that theory is that it doesn't happen. The gear either doesn't get cleaned or it goes home and into mom's Maytag. Both poor outcomes..
    Maybe not in your department. In ours if the gear is soiled it gets scrubbed and rinsed and hung up in front of the fan to dry.

Pull filthy gear out of your bag and get sent to the washrack.

It's all about priorities and following the rules. Anyone stupid enough to not know that taking all the toxics home to wash is wrong, shouldn't be in the fire service, nor should their officers for not teaching them that.

In the old days, skanky filth covered gear was a sign of seniority. Now it's a health hazard. If you only need to wash it twice a year then it must not get very dirty.

As far as having a compressor to fill your cascade system: It's certainly more cost effective to be able to train on air anytime the troops want and not having to drive a half hour to get them refilled. Most months we go through 30-50 bottles of air on SCBA training and safety/RIT/ search & rescue training. There is no regional compressor on wheels to fill cascade systems, our mobile cascade is used by three departments on a weekly basis.
    Much better bang for the federal buck than buying washing machines.

Check the firefighter forums for a dept looking for FEEP info. I pointed them your way . Their looking for a generator

Thread Information