Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Post WSI Houston May 17th, 2010

Going to Houston On May 17th, 2010. Is anybody else going that day? Also for the guys that have already been there or are still there here are a couple of questions:

What exactly happens in houston (a day to day breakdown please)?
    Do they test your BMI in houston or is what your doctor writes what they go by and also what about the physical agility test?
    What are the hours like, days off and overtime?
    What is the daily schedule on a normal day?
    What is there to do in you off time?
    What are items should I definetly bring that isn't on the packing list provided by WSI?
    How is the gear and items issued to you by WSI?

Add any other useful info of knowledge!

Thanks

Forum Member

You're asking for a lot there. Do a thread search and most of you question will be answered, many times over.
    I'm surprised they're still hiring, i thought they had a freeze on that.

Forum Member

Default nope

they have a group on the 17th and on june 7th. about the questions they are answered vaguely in other posts and don't answer all my questions?

Forum Member

*Sigh*

What exactly happens in houston (a day to day breakdown please)?
    You inprocess, if you have any prior military time you know what this means

Do they test your BMI in houston or is what your doctor writes what they go by and also what about the physical agility test?

If you are worried about this you must be one of the guys that got his Dr. buddy to fudge the BMI results. Last i heard they are checking coming into country. If you don't pass you can't come. I'd also heard they are doing random checks in country. The PT test is a joke, don't sweat that.

What are the hours like, days off and overtime?
    don't know about the hours now.. with a group going over they can't be getting much better though

What is the daily schedule on a normal day?
    same as any other fire department, roll call, check the trucks, train.

What is there to do in you off time?
    Time off? You don't want time off.

What are items should I definetly bring that isn't on the packing list provided by WSI?
    Pack light

How is the gear and items issued to you by WSI?
    all items issued pass NFPA standards for wear.

Forum Member

There is nothing to worry about in Houston or any of your other questions... There is an OLD thread with OLD info on it that I'm sure may still be current or maybe not.... I just spent MY time researching a post I put on there when I got into theater in Sept of 08, but apparently someone had it removed from the thread...

Houston like already stated you inprocess, which means you do alot of paperwork, bs classes, and alot of drinking when not doing the other stuff... Stick a little bit to the packing list, travel light, as what YOU pack YOU carry...
    Work life like already stated is the same, atleast when I was there, other than fire inspections....
    If you get a day off, hope you have plenty of lotion or water based lubricant to keep from chaffing your skin..

Forum Member

Default thanks

Hey peterbound, I am right on the edge of the BMI thing I make it but a 1/4 to 1/2 pound and I am over. I was just curious if I had to diet hard until I get tested in Houston or not. I don't fell like getting sent home.

Forum Member

Dude, here ya go, I found the most current info as it was before I left, and anyone else was afraid to get a special letter from the man when he was there... http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102950 (New Info on Iraq thread, WSI/WSLLC types) hope it helps a bit, I did however get one of those special little don't do it again letters from 'Big Brother' when I was there for some of the postings I had, but I found it a little stupid.... From what I hear to people I talk to that are still over there, WSI is doing the BMI thing, whether in Houston or BDad I don't know, but if it the way I think it is, they'll go strictly by the BMI and not take into consideration how tall and weight ratio... If you're that worried about being that close to pushing over, just diet and work out a little bit before you go, and you should be fine....

Forum Member

Default Bmi

As a firefighter, maybe your goal shouldn't be to 'just make it' when it comes to BMI. There are enough out of shape employees in WSI already. I'm not trying to attack you personally, but it's a huge pet peeve of mine in the fire service as a whole.

Forum Member

Default Bmi

Just for for everyones information I am good to go with the BMI thing. Also not out of shape just short and stocky, can't help I still have my build from playing college D-line LOL.

Forum Member

Dude, no one is knocking you for anything... I however am just telling you from my experience with WSI and KBR, that if they are checking BMI now which they are (don't know if Houston or BDad) but they will just go with the number, not if you're skinny and built, or short, healthy and stocky... I'm just telling you from my time with the companies when I was there how simple they are... just be careful if you think you are close to being over....

Forum Member

I am going to Houston on the 7th of June. So all this info is great. Much appreciated.

Forum Member

how many are heading out in June? I was scheduled to leave last August and got 2nd and 3rd degree burns on 27% of my body 4 days before my flight. Trying to get back on the list with WSI or anybody else going over. Kinda tight on a firefighter salary right now in North Carolina.

Forum Member

All I know of is me and 1 other guy from my department. I know they had deployment dates of May 3rd, 17th, and June 7th not sure how many people for each deployment.

Forum Member

Are any of you that are going over ARFF or ARFF D/O?

Forum Member

No, they said that we have the option of getting it when we get over there.

Forum Member

I am pretty excited for all the training over there. Does anyone know or been through the training and if so what certs did you actually get?

Forum Member

Default certs.

the only one that i have been told we will definetly get is DOD fire inspector and maybe DOD ARFF. some of the guys that have been there told me that there are alot of cert. opportunities that they offer but if they offer don't turn them down they won't ask again.

Forum Member

I just sent my last packet (medical) in today so now for the waiting period. Next I believe I should get my plain ticket.

Forum Member

Default Plane Ticket

Just got my plane ticket and travel packet in the mail today. Can't wait until Monday.

Forum Member

I can't wait either I am only 3 weeks behind you man

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireDude87 View Post
    No, they said that we have the option of getting it when we get over there.
    Ahahahahahaha, LMFAO!!!!! Who the hell told you that? I mean seriously! What is the persons name that told you this? And as far as the rest of the courses go, good luck with that also! I know dudes that are getting close to EOC that still haven't gotten any! It's all about manpower and your site location and leaders! But if you kiss alot of butt, you might be able to be like the select few that have only been here for a short time and have had 6 courses! Trust me when I say the most qualified don't always get selected! Very comical that you're on this fourm telling other FNG's what they will and won't get when you're a FNG yourself! All's I asked was if any of the new group was ARFF, because the company needs more ARFF! They do not even offer ARFF over here! If you want it, you better get it before you come over!

A little word of advice for you Dude, don't always believe what you are told when it comes to this company! And trust me, I'm not trying to be negative or a jerk here, what I tell you is the truth!

Forum Member

I am only stating what i was told. i know i am going to be a FNG but i can only go by what i am told. u know how companies can tell you one thing then it actually is another. the company i use to work for here in the states was that way. i am keeping an open mind, but i have the position so i am going over with a open mind and this will sound Cliché but i am going to do the best job i can do to the best of my abilities. since it sounds like you are over there private message me with any other words of wisdom that you have gathered from your expirences over there.

Forum Member

HAHA, you guys have been getting some good smoke blown up that other end. Look here when I first got into country back in 08/2008 I was so lucky that the training program was shut down. During my time there I was able to pick up Fire Inspector I, and I have yet to see that piece of paper. I highly doubt you'll be getting DOD ARFF over there, I've never known of that to exist. You may also get TeleComm 1 & 2 while at HQ, but I'm not sure if they are still doing that, would imagine so. If you get the chance to go take a class feel free to go do it, but you'll hate the fact you'll be getting 12 hr days for training as to the 16 hr days you could've been getting at your site. But go ahead and get amped for the fun you're going to have there. And Houston is a drag, enjoy it while you're there and do party a bit, make sure to go to Tumbleweeds if you get a chance too...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bent101 View Post
    Ahahahahahaha, LMFAO!!!!! Who the hell told you that? I mean seriously! What is the persons name that told you this? And as far as the rest of the courses go, good luck with that also! I know dudes that are getting close to EOC that still haven't gotten any! It's all about manpower and your site location and leaders! But if you kiss alot of butt, you might be able to be like the select few that have only been here for a short time and have had 6 courses! Trust me when I say the most qualified don't always get selected! Very comical that you're on this fourm telling other FNG's what they will and won't get when you're a FNG yourself! All's I asked was if any of the new group was ARFF, because the company needs more ARFF! They do not even offer ARFF over here! If you want it, you better get it before you come over!

A little word of advice for you Dude, don't always believe what you are told when it comes to this company! And trust me, I'm not trying to be negative or a jerk here, what I tell you is the truth!
    Well they would have ARFF mission guys there if they didn't make them go sit the hot spot, then inspect, then do drill-a-days while TFS was in theater...

Forum Member

Post I hope you like Groundhog Day

I agree with Bent101. I did 1 year over there. The best advise I can give you new guys is to KEEP YOU EXPECTATIONS LOW. I can't say that enough! You may get on a site with an actual fire station or one with trucks parked outside and dry CHUS. You won't know until you get in country.

The experience is all in what you make it. Don't believe in anything you hear. Only believe it when it happens, it will change next week. I am using the word "it" as a wide term by the way.

Pack lite. What I did is packed enough clothes for Houston and mailed my suitcase home before wheels up. Your laptop will be the best thing since birth control while in country. Have fun in Houston. Once you go wheels up, the next week will be very long and taxing.

You may get selected to attend the LA1 academy if the project needs more officers. It all depends. I would be surprised if you stay there for a full year. HQ is doing everything they can to keep the project alive. Who can blame them.......

BE ON THE SAFE SIDE AND ELECT TO HAVE YOUR TAXES TAKEN OUT!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information