Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

I have been in the fire service for well over 20 years and instructing for some time. I have had the opportunity to use all of the manufactures you are persuing numerous times throughout my training classes and volunteer service. I can honestly say that without a doubt that Genesis is top notch. Not only have the tools proved themselves throughout the years but the service that we see is exceptional (keep in mind the lifetime warrenty). I have seen other brands break/fail during use with the genesis always pulling through. I always hear students saying how easy the genesis tools are to use over the others with a lot less fatigue. You may want to check on the new cutters that are available if you havent already. (they have several). We are about to demo one or two. It seems that the other brands dont have much new to offer. Our neighbors on the bay side have had several service issues with hurst and holmatro and are switching to genesis in about two months because of that and the performance of the gensis over the others when the demonstrations were done. We are also upgrading to the new coupler which i would highly recommend. I know when our neighbors had the demonstrations done for the day that they said the tnt pump was extremly hot and the coupler didnt seem to be to user friendly and that the holmatro with that one line didn't perform well at all. Good luck with your decision on what ever you choose. I don't believe you will go wrong with genesis.

I appreciate the opinions. Interesting to see what people like. And no worries, our purchase will be dictated by tool performance and what the guys are comfortable with, and also to some degree the final price. Its interesting to see how well a tool is liked - you'll have one demo where all seven cars we have to cut are destroyed and nothing left to cut, and another where the guys lost interest in the tools because they were difficult to handle, or didn't cut well, etc. It'll be three sets of cutters and spreaders, one set of rams, three simo pumps. It isn't a huge purchase, but not a small one either.

I'll also stand by the high temperatures of the TNT pump. The pump was impressive in how fast the tools cycled, but it was almost too fast. When hooked to our existing tools, the got too hot to handle without wearing gloves.

One of our guy's concerns is the way a few of the brands cutters twist as they cut. On our current tools, we have broken blades as the tool twists, so this makes everyone nervous. One brand stood out so far that the cutters never twisted or "torqued," and the guys seem to favor that.

We have Hurst's high pressure stuff coming yet. May have to really think about asking one more brand in for a demo based on a recommendation on here...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Hey brother- just checking the blogs. I'm shocked to see that this posting stayed so civilized- it usually doesnt.

When I was involved in that big evaluation for our neighbor town, we found that ALL tools torque a little when they are used. Positioning, blade design and technique can limit that. There is no PERFECT blade design to stop it all together. As far a sbreaking blades, it can happen over time. Sounds like you have old tools. It shouldnt happen with new cutters, but our research showed that blades on old tools break usually because the center bolt stretches over time and causes a gap between the blades- thus pulling them apart when you cut something heavy. You will not escape this problem, so if you've experienced it in the past dont freak out. Just buy a torque wrench with your new tools. If you use them alot, tighten that bolt and you're golden. Just a tip.

As far as inviting more manufacturers, I'd be very hesitant. It sounds like you have invited at least 3 of the big dawgs to your evaluation. The more brands you look at the harder it will be to make a decision and remember all of the good & bad points of the ones you've tried. TRUST me from experience- it seems like you are looking at the major players in the game.

I hope this helps. Stay safe!

Forum Member

Talking By the way...

Forgot to mention- We just recently got that new Genesis cutter (the bigger one not sure model) on our heavy rescue and had a pin job the first day it was on the rig- that thing is unstoppable. We did a 5th door and a dash lift on a 2009 Escalade, incredible. My B/Chief has pics. Look into it if you are just starting to browse- our rep said it was designed for the new car crap that we have been running into. What will these car companies think of next to make our job harder? Ha! Bastards!

Forum Member

Thumbs up Thats the one!

We just upgraded to that new Genesis cutter as well (2 months ago maybe?). It's the cats a*s! The bite on it is huge, bigger than our older one, but like you said LadderCo, unstoppable. Its fast on our pump considering how much bigger it is. Dont go smaller if you are buying new buddy- these cars are like tanks now, get what can handle it. We run two of them on 100' reels on the Ladder Company. Good stuff. Thats just some friendly advise from the West Coast! Good luck bro!

Quote Originally Posted by laddercompany20 View Post
    Hey brother- just checking the blogs. I'm shocked to see that this posting stayed so civilized- it usually doesnt.

When I was involved in that big evaluation for our neighbor town, we found that ALL tools torque a little when they are used. Positioning, blade design and technique can limit that. There is no PERFECT blade design to stop it all together. As far a sbreaking blades, it can happen over time. Sounds like you have old tools. It shouldnt happen with new cutters, but our research showed that blades on old tools break usually because the center bolt stretches over time and causes a gap between the blades- thus pulling them apart when you cut something heavy. You will not escape this problem, so if you've experienced it in the past dont freak out. Just buy a torque wrench with your new tools. If you use them alot, tighten that bolt and you're golden. Just a tip.

As far as inviting more manufacturers, I'd be very hesitant. It sounds like you have invited at least 3 of the big dawgs to your evaluation. The more brands you look at the harder it will be to make a decision and remember all of the good & bad points of the ones you've tried. TRUST me from experience- it seems like you are looking at the major players in the game.

I hope this helps. Stay safe!
    AND.....IF you DON'T EVALUATE EVERY tool that you are considering you may pass up on the tool BEST suited for your operations. TRY every one you have an interest in that you can get good service on. Use the same CUTS/Spreads on every vehicle so you can be OBJECTIVE with the tool tests. Now I've used the Genesis,and let's just say my opinion and that of OUR Dept differ from your and Poltez's experiences. NOBODY here liked the Genesis.NOT ONE member.Going with any of the top 3-5 MFG's,you won't go wrong. Add a 13 Amp recip saw with a diamond blade for the real tough or odd jobs. Short money for the added value . Try a Checksheet so you evaluate all the systems in a FAIR manner. Then make the decision that represents the BEST long term value for your agency. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 05-15-2010 at 04:03 PM.

TC - What are you using for blades in your recip saws? We haven't used diamond stuff yet, but there's no reason we shouldn't be.

Between the saws, Ajax kits and some new extrication tools, we'll be in very good shape.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Primarily we use Torch blades. I'm Beta testing a couple brands of Diamond grit blades, they're SLOWER but cut pretty near anything. I'm gonna post what we find after we do some more testing over the next few months. T.C.

Holy b@lls. Are the diamond blades as expensive as I think they are?

Early research isn't encouraging.

They aren't CHEAP. But coming down s the Technology improves. I'll let you know what i find out as we move ahead. T.C,

Forum Member

Default champion rescue tools

just picked up 4 sets at our dept. and whe love them hands down, out cut every tool we evaluated and was a lot less money, any one on here go to the training class at the afb in michigan this last week end its was a good class but all the tools kep on breaking on the new cars. We pulled out our new champion tools and cut every thing the other tool vendors could not cut,,,,,,champion was the only tools that cut every thing on all the late model cars with out failure,,,,,,we love them keep up the good work champion
    Last edited by cutaboverest; 05-18-2010 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Well, here comes the preverbial retard that everyone has mentioned in this posting. Look at this guys' other posts on here. Hmmm...striking consistency. Beat it loser- the brother here has posted a question he wants actual input on. This isnt a spot for secret tool salesmen to post their "favorite tool." Speaking of a tool....hahahah....

Forum Member

Thumbs up lol

Its the facts he is asking for info on tools so there it is check them out,,,,,used to have hurst on our department not no more.........sceneoftheacciden t.org theres good info on this site about all manufactures ....do you home work and u will find what works best and what is junk. All the brands listed above are a joke,there a copy of a copy of a hurst tool.Every tool that champion rescue tools make have patents for that reason there new Beast is a great tool and will get the job done on any 5 star cars

Quote Originally Posted by cutaboverest View Post
    Its the facts he is asking for info on tools so there it is check them out,,,,,used to have hurst on our department not no more.........sceneoftheacciden t.org theres good info on this site about all manufactures ....do you home work and u will find what works best and what is junk. All the brands listed above are a joke,there a copy of a copy of a hurst tool.Every tool that champion rescue tools make have patents for that reason there new Beast is a great tool and will get the job done on any 5 star cars
    DO your RESEARCH on the up and coming vehicles and construction and you'll buy GOOD Recips with Diamond Blades INSTEAD of Hydraulics. Ron has done a BUNCH of tool testing on ALL the new TOUGH cars and I've got a copy of his report. Champion wasn't at the TOP. Give me a tool and a car,I'll get in. But have my 13 amp recip ready. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use TNT tools and are very happy with their preformance. We have had a few cracked blades on the combi-tools. They have never broken, just cracked. I don't think that the cracking has ever been found in the field, but when they are being inspected (tools are taken apart and inspected). We had a seal blow in the spreaders (tool was being used is a questionable way). A loaner was there the next morning and a replacment set was there within a couple of days.

Thread Information