+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

Thread: Radios

Forum Member

Default Radios

For those of you who still use VHF radios, which kind do y'all use mostly? My HT1000 broke recently and was wondering what everyone was using these days. Also the department chief will have to approve of the radio.

Thanks

Forum Member

We've been using various models of Vertex. I've got a VX4200 in the Buggy and a VX 920 portable. Good working radios. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 05-06-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by K4taw View Post
    For those of you who still use VHF radios, which kind do y'all use mostly? My HT1000 broke recently and was wondering what everyone was using these days. Also the department chief will have to approve of the radio.

Thanks
    How did you manage to break a HT1000?

I dropped one one day out of the third floor of the Mass Fire Acadcemy's burn building when it fell out of the pocket of my Academy turnouts.

I picked it up... keyed it.. and it still worked in tx and rx modes after a 3 story fall onto concrete.

The Academy's radios are used every day and they get dropped, wet and "toasted" on occasion, but they are like the Timex watch,.. they take a lickin' and keep on tickin!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 05-05-2010 at 07:39 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    How did you manage to break a HT1000?

I dropped one one day out of the third floor of the Mass Fire Acadcemy's burn building when it fell out of the pocket of my Academy turnouts.

I picked it up... keyed it.. and it still worked in tx and rx modes after a 3 story fall onto concrete.

The Academy's radios are used every day and they get dropped, wet and "toasted" on occasion, but they are like the Timex watch,.. they take a lickin' and keep on tickin!

I was going to say, must have been a reject when it was made.

I have dropped them and the only thing happened was the battery came off the back. Slipped it back on and back in business.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Default Kenwood

We have been using TK-290's with great success.

Forum Member

We are a mix of Kenwood Tk-272 and Tk-3180. Niether are "public safety" radios, but they work decent enough. I keep mine in a strap and holder with a lapel mic and it does just fine.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I carry a Bendix-King DPH Commander in VHF, most all our fleet has either Midland, Bendix-King or Icom mobiles
    "If you can't be a good example, the you'll just have to be a terrible warning."

Forum Member

The Jedi series Motorola radios (HT1000, MT2000, MTS2000, JT1000) were probably some of the best and most durable modern radios ever made by Motorola. They were versatile, bulletproof, and had tons of interchangeable accessories. They were in production for a long time and I wish they still were.

Ditto on the Kenwood 90 series, although it is newer and still in production.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Back In Black

Those HT1000's were great radios. It's still the radio I use when I am responding with my FD. Even though they've gone to newer models from Moto.

For wildland, I have a Moto XTS 1500 w/display. That way I can monitor NPS as they are using digital. Great solid radio, got some heft to it, but that just means it will last forever.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I have an XTS1500 and an XTS3000. Both are great radios too.

Forum Member

On our rigs we have Motorola XTS3000. I personally have a HT1000. Both are great, HT1000 is about as KISS as it comes

I must echo what others have said, how in the world did you manage to break at HT1000? I have put that thing through hell and it still works fine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by K4taw View Post

Thanks

I have bought several HT1000s on ebay for various purposes, and like everyone else has said they are excellent radios. What broke on yours?

If you are just looking for a replacement for yours and you just need basic operation and 16 channels, you could get another HT1000, or a smaller but still very durable Motorola P1225. They are available with or without a screen and DTMF keypad. I have had very good luck with these as well, and they can be found on ebay for cheap.

Forum Member

You broke an HT1000?! Jeez, musta been one heck of a drop! I have a 1000 for fireground use and an XTS 3000. Get another HT, don't mess with a good thing!
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by KB1OEV View Post
    I have bought several HT1000s on ebay for various purposes, and like everyone else has said they are excellent radios. What broke on yours?

If you are just looking for a replacement for yours and you just need basic operation and 16 channels, you could get another HT1000, or a smaller but still very durable Motorola P1225. They are available with or without a screen and DTMF keypad. I have had very good luck with these as well, and they can be found on ebay for cheap.
    I'm not a big fan of the P1225. We had those as our basic fireground radio. Just a bit too fragile and it's an older radio now. Yes, the HT is an older radio, but it was built to last. Also, it doesn't do MDC coding. All of our radios have identifiers on them.

We have the PR860 on the apparatus now. It's more rugged and can be programmed with the identifier. It also has bigger channel/volume selector knobs. Overall a better choice then the P1225. I will however, keep my HT1000.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

makes good girls go bad

Only reason I got rid of my HT-1000 was to get a MT-2000.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

The HT1000/Jedi series was really the last of the super durable Motorola radios. The "Pro" series, ie the 1250 was not all that durable and had recieve issues. The 1225 was again not very durable, and had battery contact issues.

The XTS radios are ok, but nothing special. Motorola lost their edge with these. Don't get me wrong, they are still a solid radio, but not any more so than an Icom F70, Icom 9011, (the ones I am carrying now) or the Kenwood comparable radios.

I had a tower climber drop an HT1000 off of a 120 foot water tower, it hit the catwalk, bounced, and hit the ground. Picked it up, put the battery back on, and it talked.

The other issue to bear in mind as you replace it - only some of the HT1000 radios were capable of narrowband, and narrowband is coming very soon by FCC mandate.
    Last edited by LVFD301; 05-06-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the P1225. We had those as our basic fireground radio. Just a bit too fragile and it's an older radio now. Yes, the HT is an older radio, but it was built to last. Also, it doesn't do MDC coding. All of our radios have identifiers on them.

We have the PR860 on the apparatus now. It's more rugged and can be programmed with the identifier. It also has bigger channel/volume selector knobs. Overall a better choice then the P1225. I will however, keep my HT1000.
    I wouldn't say that the p1225s are as good as the HT1000s, but our dept has had 5 or 6 that have been in use for 10 years without a problem. So we have had good luck with them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    The other issue to bear in mind as you replace it - only some of the HT1000 radios were capable of narrowband, and narrowband is coming very soon by FCC mandate.
    Its too bad because most of them are in perfectly good condition still.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    All HT1000s are capable of operating in narrowband mode, only those with a model number ending in DN can be set to the new splinter frequencies that become available with the narrowband mandate. These are the new frequencies between the old standard ones.

makes good girls go bad

Anyone have any experience with the new P25 Moto radios?
    Ya know, GPS, moto 800/VHF?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

I've carried an HT750 since I started with my dept in 2005, they are great little radio's that I have a hard time killing (I'm good at killing electronic crap) The one I carry now has seen its fair share of rough days, and its still going strong. The only complaint I have with them is the speaker mics aren't the most durable, and I've gone through must be 3 of em already.

Our officers are starting to be issued the newer MT1500's (Or atleast I'm pretty sure that's the one they are issued) And I really don't like them all too much myself, seem a bit more complicated than whats needed for someone like me. Which is why I'm hoping I don't ever get issued one.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KB1OEV View Post
    All HT1000s are capable of operating in narrowband mode, only those with a model number ending in DN can be set to the new splinter frequencies that become available with the narrowband mandate. These are the new frequencies between the old standard ones.
    No. Narrowband is not only the bandwidth, but the capability to do those 12.5 splinter channels. It is not FCC type accepted to do narrowband, so it is not legal. While you may never get caught, the new interoperability channels are splinters, and many new channels being issued by the FCC are also splinters, which will leave you with a radio that as time goes on, will be increasingly limited.

Narrowband, as the catchword of the year in comms, is not only deviation, it is the compliance.

The industry has a real issue with people being told by unscrupulous dealers that are telling people that they can program their old radios to work on the narrowband systems, (usually as long as splinters are not involved) leaving departments to believe their old non narrowband stuff will be ok. Sure, it may work in some cases, but not dependable, not well, and not legally. This is normally being done by the garage dealers, or the people who work out of their blue mobile homes.......

It is not a service to the customer.

Anyways, the HT1000 up to the DN had the 5ppm TCXO which makes for not 100% reliable narrowband stability. The DN had the tighter TCXO.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the new P25 Moto radios?
    Ya know, GPS, moto 800/VHF?
    You're talking about the APX radios?

Pretty wild stuff. I haven't even seen one yet. I'd have to take out a second mortgage to afford one.

http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-...APX+7000_US-EN

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    You're talking about the APX radios?

Pretty wild stuff. I haven't even seen one yet. I'd have to take out a second mortgage to afford one.

http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-...APX+7000_US-EN
    Our department bought them for all our chief officers about four months ago. I haven't had an opportunity to try them out myself, but they seem to work great for the Chiefs.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    Our department bought them for all our chief officers about four months ago. I haven't had an opportunity to try them out myself, but they seem to work great for the Chiefs.
    Oh, your department also has the 18k gold diamond plate.

Nice! Seriously, what's the cost on those things?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

Thread Information