Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Kicked out for wearing Red, White, & Blue?

Normally I don't post stuff like this, but what in the holy heck country are we in again? Cinco de Mayo isn't even a real holiday since it isn't the true Mexican Independence Day. Plus 2 of the kids are Mexican?

Students Sent Home Over American Flag Shirts
    9 hours ago - CBS 13 Sacramento 2:44 | 196468 views
    Five Northern California high school students were sent home from their school after coming to school wearing shirts with the American Flag on it during Cinco De Mayo. Kiet Do reports.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/local-15749667/19585803

Have to deal with a commercial, sorry couldn't find the direct new site link.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Normally I don't post stuff like this, but what in the holy heck country are we in again? Cinco de Mayo isn't even a real holiday since it isn't the true Mexican Independence Day. Plus 2 of the kids are Mexican?

Students Sent Home Over American Flag Shirts
    9 hours ago - CBS 13 Sacramento 2:44 | 196468 views
    Five Northern California high school students were sent home from their school after coming to school wearing shirts with the American Flag on it during Cinco De Mayo. Kiet Do reports.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/local-15749667/19585803

Have to deal with a commercial, sorry couldn't find the direct new site link.

Screw them and IF they don't like the US, then L E A V E !!!

Also screw the phoenix suns for wearing shirts with the team name in spanish!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Unbelivable.

Forum Member

The thing that got me was they were worried about it enticing the Hispanic kids. Aren't they Americans? Or should be? Last time I checked every citizen is an American. Not a Black American, African-American, Mexican-American, Italian-American, Irish-American, or anything else hyphenated. American. Period. It's one thing to take pride in the heritage which we all should do, but another to second class what we all are first: American.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe it will teach these kids to honor the flag code, and not demean the meaning of the flag by wearing "flag shoes" that will result in the "flag" getting covered in mud and dog poop.

Just saying
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Welcome to the United States of Mexico!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Maybe it will teach these kids to honor the flag code, and not demean the meaning of the flag by wearing "flag shoes" that will result in the "flag" getting covered in mud and dog poop.

Just saying

Well the shoes they showed in the video didn't have flags on them, just a band of blue with white stars and a red Nike swoosh. I do see where you are coming from though.

I object more to the bandana which was most likely a full flag, and which was rolled up and worn the head.

Forum Member

I haven't been in grade school for some time now, but I remember there being an American flag hanging in each and every classroom. Has this changes? Did the teachers take the flags down because it was Cinco de Mayo? Anyway this whole situation makes me sick.

Anyone else surprised that this happened in California?

Hard to believe that the allegedly well-educated administrators at the school didn't have the common sense that God gave a gnat to see that this would end badly.

While I find the wearing of flags disrepectful of the Colors, what moronic boneheaded half -wit assistant principal couldn't foresee teh media getting ahold of this and the court of public ipinion being against him.

And the news report says that the school is made up of 40% Hispanic population.....That means they are still the minority - like it or not.

I would still sue the assistant principal for a violation of Civil Rights - but you would not see the bleeding hearts at the A.C.L.U. defending these boys more than likely.

And kudos to the school district for calling the moronic assistant principal on his arrogance and stupidity.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

They should all be fired and exiled for treason.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

What timing, got this email this morning:

Let me see if I have this right...

∑ - IF YOU CROSS THE NORTH KOREAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET 12 YEARS HARD LABOR.

∑ - IF YOU CROSS THE IRANIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU ARE DETAINED INDEFINITELY.

∑ - IF YOU CROSS THE AFGHAN BORDER ILLEGALLY, YOU GET SHOT.

∑ - IF YOU CROSS THE SAUDI ARABIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE JAILED.

∑ - IF YOU CROSS THE CHINESE BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU MAY NEVER BE HEARD FROM AGAIN.

∑ - IF YOU CROSS THE VENEZUELAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE BRANDED A SPY AND YOUR FATE WILL BE SEALED.

∑ - IF YOU CROSS THE CUBAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE THROWN INTO POLITICAL PRISON TO ROT.

∑ - IF YOU CROSS THE U.S. BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET........................... ......

1 - A JOB,
    2 - A DRIVERS LICENSE,
    3 - SOCIAL SECURITY CARD,
    4 - WELFARE,
    5 - FOOD STAMPS,
    6 - CREDIT CARDS,
    7 - SUBSIDIZED RENT OR A LOAN TO BUY A HOUSE,
    8 - FREE EDUCATION,
    9 - FREE HEALTH CARE,
    10 - A LOBBYIST IN WASHINGTON,
    11 - BILLIONS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF PUBLIC DOCUMENTS PRINTED IN YOUR LANGUAGE,
    12 - AND THE RIGHT TO CARRY YOUR COUNTRY'S FLAG WHILE YOU PROTEST THAT YOU DON'T GET ENOUGH RESPECT.

But the people in Arizona have said they are mad about it.

I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE

I HAD A FIRM GRASP ON THE SITUATION... It's called THE END OF A SYSTEM OF THINGS.

Forum Member

maybe FIREMECH1 wld come over and tear the flagss off the kids bc he doesnt like them lol

Quote Originally Posted by HSJohn View Post
    maybe FIREMECH1 wld come over and tear the flagss off the kids bc he doesnt like them lol
    haha! nice, yea i read his thread.
    Firefighters need not fear fire, but give it all their respect.

Quote Originally Posted by HSJohn View Post
    skippy don't inject a statement like that. as you are wrong about what you said about FM-1.

The kids wearing the shirts, which had the US Flag screen printed did not do anything wrong, unless the school has a regulation saying that no shirts can be worn with any symbols on it. I still say good for them and I surely hope that diphead teacher is going back to mac donalds and flipping more burgers by next week.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    skippy don't inject a statement like that. as you are wrong about what you said about FM-1.

The kids wearing the shirts, which had the US Flag screen printed did not do anything wrong, unless the school has a regulation saying that no shirts can be worn with any symbols on it. I still say good for them and I surely hope that diphead teacher is going back to mac donalds and flipping more burgers by next week.
    So you support the trespassing and destruction of another persons property based on this:

ß176. Respect for flag
    No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
    But you are cool with people disobeying the flag code here:

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

So that means that nearly every indoor sports arena is violating the code also since they hang the flags from both corners? Every hockey rink I was ever in had it strung along the wall from the top not the sides. Haven't read the whole code to see if that's considered "falling free" or not, but not too many other ways to hang one indoors. And to me more important that it is there and the National Anthem sung than installing a flag pole if that isn't what was meant.

Like most reasonable people there's a middle line to this somewhere, the flag code was written long before graphics could be put on clothing so it wasn't something the writers even fathomed at that time. I'm OK with it on clothes, hats, and whatnot, at least it's our flag. Yeah the upside down thing is disrespecting the flag, but at some point it go to where nothing is sacred anymore. Unfortunately.

They were not wearing a flag. They were wearing a shirt with flag artwork on it. Those rules you quoted are as it relates to actual flags. Not a t-shirt which MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WEAR ON A DAILY BASIS to show their patriotism.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    They were not wearing a flag. They were wearing a shirt with flag artwork on it. Those rules you quoted are as it relates to actual flags. Not a t-shirt which MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WEAR ON A DAILY BASIS to show their patriotism.
    Let's post more of the flag code:

The words "flag, standard, colors, or ensign", as used herein, shall include any flag, standard, colors, ensign, or any picture or representation of either, or of any part or parts of either, made of any substance or represented on any substance, of any size evidently purporting to be either of said flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States of America or a picture or a representation of either, upon which shall be shown the colors, the stars and the stripes, in any number of either thereof, or of any part or parts of either, by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag, colors, standard, or ensign of the United States of America.
    Just because millions of people are doing it, doesn't mean that millions of people are right.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Like most reasonable people there's a middle line to this somewhere, the flag code was written long before graphics could be put on clothing so it wasn't something the writers even fathomed at that time. I'm OK with it on clothes, hats, and whatnot, at least it's our flag. Yeah the upside down thing is disrespecting the flag, but at some point it go to where nothing is sacred anymore. Unfortunately.
    The flag code was written in 1923, and has been amended many times since then, the last time in 2007. Many modifications of the code were written during times when flag T-Shirts and other clothing was readily available. The Flag is not to be worn, period.

Do you give the US flag on your clothes the same respect as the "real flag"? How about this:

Have you ever thrown your dirty patriotic US flag T-shirt on the ground in your room, or do you always make sure the flag never touches the ground?

Do you spill food on your flag t-shirt?

If your flag clothing has a hole in it, do you throw it away or give it a proper flag retirement?

Do you wear your flag clothing at night, and if you do is it always properly illuminated?

If it rains, are you wearing proper all-weather flag clothing?

Forum Member

Well that's where I draw the distinction between a real US Flag, and a representation of it. No one should be disrespecting the representation to the point of crossing over it, upside down, etc, but when it's dirty, wash it, etc, etc.

After all, hundreds of thousands of people have flag patches on their uniforms and there doesn't seem to be a major issue with having those clothes washed, being dirty, hitting the ground from people falling, etc. Every FD uniform I've ever seen had one on it. But not having the proper lighting and display methods for real flags is highly disrespectful and thanks to some rights for the sake of rights/nothing can be sacred people, nothing can be done to enforce the code against those that would break it.

Thread Information