Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Ideas on Pierce Arrow XT vs Velocity

Hey everyone,

I need some feedback from everyone who cares to offer some...

My company is buying a new pumper. They want to get a Pierce Velocity. We have one already, and they want to get another one, "cookie cutter" to the pumper we have. They have proposed it, and i am attempting at least to fight it.

I do not like the added 6" on the width of the truck. In my area we have very tight roads, and a retirement community that is 800 acres and has very narrow roads. Not to mention the narrow township roads in our first due. Our engine also runs into a urban department for RIT runs. We are the first due rit engine in this town.

Just anything that you guys know that would help me out, feel free to comment.

T.Y

velocity looks bad ***. not sure how i feel about the forward mirrors though o:

Quote Originally Posted by LAD56DER View Post
    I do not like the added 6" on the width of the truck.
    I don't know the specs of one Pierce cab to the other, but remember that many manufacturers have been forced to recently re-design many of their cabs due to the EPA having new requirements for engine exhaust particulate levels, which is increasing cooling needs, hence overall engine tunnel size requirements quite significantly.

No matter which Pierce cab you want, it may very well be that 6" wider that you do not want.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

56 - The Velocity cab is 100" wide which is only 4" wider than a standard size cab. I believe the Pierce Arrow (possibly other manufacturers also) are going to 98" wide for the motor reason that FWDbuff said.

Well how does the one you have now handle all these narrow roads you speak of? Does it still fit but just a bit tighter than your other pumps? I understand a lot of people love their new Velocity and Impel cabs. South Burlington Vermont recently bought two Velocity PUC's, and they have some pretty tight roads up that way and they seem to fit just fine.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

it fits, but going around blind turns half in the opposite lane isnt so safe. also, we have tight, long driveways that it cant get down. and we would not be able to fit into the borough, that we run RIT into. i just am trying to gather information to bring to the chief to try and get an arrow. just would be an easier truck to drive, and whip around the local.

So what is the overal width difference between the two? A can almost be that a few inches probably wouldnt make that much of a difference.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Did you check out the " Saber Chassis " it is smaller than the rest, but 425-hp is the largest power train. This cab may work out very well in a smaller residental community!

Quote Originally Posted by LAD56DER View Post
    it fits, but going around blind turns half in the opposite lane isnt so safe. also, we have tight, long driveways that it cant get down. and we would not be able to fit into the borough, that we run RIT into. i just am trying to gather information to bring to the chief to try and get an arrow. just would be an easier truck to drive, and whip around the local.
    I think you need to keep in mind that ALL of these trucks are going to be "Too big" at some point. There is always going to be a road or driveway that one of our bigger trucks wont make it down. And if a Velocity wont make it down those tight driveways than chances are an Arrow will be too big. The width of the cab is only part of it, its the footprint of the tires that I would be concerned about.

But then again I dont work your district and I dont know your streets, maybe a full sized piece of apparatus IS to big. In that case look into a mini pumper, that way it will fit down all the roads and driveways.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Smile Velocity vrs Arrow

Our Dept. just purchased a 100' platform on a Velocity. When we started talking to our dealer we were looking to go Arrow XT. Our dealer took us to the plant where we had a tour of their facility & were able to test drive both models. I feel that the Velocity is a much better rig ( even with the "new look"). The cab is wide but with the new engines they have to be, it is a tight fit in the front seat with bunker pants on. The truck handles very good, nice fit & finish & the Pierce staff treated us well. One thing that I can honestly say is that I was surprised at how much Pierce would try to get us everything that we asked for. We were working with another company & it seemed that whenever we asked for something the answer was no , we don't do that. All in all , I would say the Velocity is the way to go.

Thread Information