Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Default Roof Prop: Any commercially available?

Hi folks, I'm looking for a adjustable pitch roof prop that is commercially available. I've seen many designs out there, that people/departments have built, but I've yet to find one that someone simply sells.

Yes, I know they are easy to build, but I want to see if there are any that are ready to go.

We are designing our new training tower, and it would be nice to simply have an adjustable prop. that is ready to go.

Anyone seen anything out there?

Thanks, and stay safe.

Chris
    Seattle, WA
    Last edited by sirhcdeer1; 05-06-2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added tags

MembersZone Subscriber

I haven't seen anything commercially available. I just did a couple searches and couldn't find anything either.

Is a professional company building your training tower? If so, what about incorporating it into the plans so they can build it for you? (I know it's not ready-made, but you wouldn't be building it yourself then.) You could easily make it a small area attached to one side a few feet above the ground. Still get the experience of "climbing" to the roof but easy enough to get plywood up to for the next guy to vent.

Quote Originally Posted by sirhcdeer1 View Post
    Hi folks, I'm looking for a adjustable pitch roof prop that is commercially available. I've seen many designs out there, that people/departments have built, but I've yet to find one that someone simply sells.

Yes, I know they are easy to build, but I want to see if there are any that are ready to go.

We are designing our new training tower, and it would be nice to simply have an adjustable prop. that is ready to go.

Anyone seen anything out there?

Thanks, and stay safe.

Chris
    Seattle, WA

Why not build something simple?

If you built it, they will come!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

We actually are considering building it ourself, but we thought we'd at least look and see what's out there. I've seen some pretty cool designs that people/departments have made, that would fairly easy to construct.

Not that we want to waste taxpayers money, but we passed a capital improvement bond for 26 million dollars, so therefore we thought we could explore commercially available props.

Thanks for the responses.

We just recently completed out new training center and one of the things I was considering was some sort of Roof Prop / Simulator.

So I will pass along my plan in hopes that it may work for you.

We have a couple local companies that build / sell trusses - My plan was to talk to them and see if they had anything that was scrap, damaged, manufacturing errors, etc that I could have (cheap / free / donation as tax write off) to cut down and build my own prop.

It could also be used to show truss construction (and maybe get a supply of extra parts to actually burn a few over a barrel to show how they fail)

Was also planning to approach the local building supply folks with the same thoughts for sheeting & shingles (damaged, busted packs, etc) to finish the roof off with.

You could use this same approach or since you have a better budget to work from than I do - perhaps you could take in some photos of other props you've seen & liked and have them build something for you.

Best of luck and please come back and share you final results with us.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Thread Information