Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What is your CPAT time?

Hey guys. I have taken two physical ability tests for different departments to date. I took a modified version of the CPAT and passed it with time to spare, then had my first traditional CPAT today. I timed at 8:36. I think I could have done better but I got hung up in the maze for a few. I was just wondering what the average time for a CPAT was.

Forum Member

think that sounds average.You should be aiming for sub 8 though.I know they say they are passs/ fail but who are you going to want to back you up? a 7.30 guy/girl or someone who barely makes it? I think in this its good to not be Mr/Mrs Average.People remeber....

Forum Member

I finished with a 8:27 or something (was last summer). I could have definitely completed it faster but I knew I would not DQ because of time, so I took my time at the stations in order to not make a stupid mistake.

Forum Member

Default Cpat

The CPAT is very easy. I really can't see any reason why anybody couldn't pass the test in the alotted time of 10:20. It doesn't matter what time you get, as it is a pass/fail test. Fire departments don't get to see your times and the CPAT testing center won't give your times to them. If you are one to lose sleep over what time you get, I suggest going to the orientation and practice test. It really won't make or break if you pass or fail, but it will help you shave some time off your test.

Remember, you are on the stair climber for 3:20, so realistically, you have 7 minutes to complete the test while having control of how fast you go.

I recommend just keeping it at a nice pace. People have been known to screw it up on the ladder raise/lower. The halyard is thin and a piece of crap, and the gloves they give you are gardening gloves (and you have to wear their gloves). Take your time gripping the halyard when raising and lowering the flye. It's an automatic fail if that halyard slips through your hands.

Lastly, I finished the CPAT with 2:47 to go.

Forum Member

6:01

The CPAT is the dumbest physical test I have taken.

I blew threw it in under 7 minutes if I remember. I was very tired at the end but could have even gone faster if it was some kind of competition.

The 2nd time I took it I did it much slower probably closer to 8 minutes. I just took my time.

The fast time I got previously did not give me an advantage during the testing process. Just pass it, --take your time.

Forum Member

my time 7:15
    Last edited by juli888; 07-12-2010 at 08:11 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by juli888 View Post
    my time 4:38
    bull s.....

Forum Member

4:38? i just woke up and that really made me laugh. i mean, i've personally watch maybe 75-80 cpats over the past 5 years and never seen a sub 7, so even the 2 other guy that posted sub 7 on here i doubt, but at least their time are more realistic.

would i want a 7:xx or sub 10:20 backup? of course the 7:xx looks good on paper, but i know plenty of them that run through air like its nothing. i personally dont like the cpat, but it is what it is and its pass/fail, so who cares about time. majority of the proctors aren't going to remember you or be a factor in your hiring process, especially at the community college level.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Wow… y’all are posting some pretty impressive times! I did it in 9:04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tazman7 View Post
    6:01

The CPAT is the dumbest physical test I have taken.
    Highly doubtful. Where did you take your test? I can verify your actual time if you care to share.

10:12.....didn't train for it.not a fire fighter yet.just doing my emt rightnow

Forum Member

Good job, you passed, and that's all that matters. Focus on your other training first, and once you get your certs, you can start focusing more on the fitness required for the job. I will say, for my recruits anyway, that being able to run the CPAT in under 8min is a good starting point for our Academy. A level of fitness much worse than that and your first month will be pretty painful and embarrassing.

Thread Information