Forum Member

Default Obtaining EMT-B online?

I am registered to begin classes for my basic firefighter certification on June 7th, the class doesn't include any ECA or EMT-B training though. The classes are 20 weeks long, and if possible I'd like to get my EMT-B in conjunction with my basic firefighter cert. Classes for the basic firefighter cert run M-Th, 7:30am-5:30pm, so if I am going to do my EMT-B, it would most likely have to be all online. Is taking my EMT-B online even possible, or should I just wait and class up for the EMT-B after I finish my firefighter training at the end of October? I'm looking for advice because I know there has to be someone here who has ran into this problem before. Many thanks for any and all suggestions.

Forum Member

I would take EMT-b first and not online.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

1. I seriously doubt you could take EMT-B online from a recognized, bonafide training agency.

2. EMT-B is something that you would NOT WANT TO TAKE online.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I pretty much assumed the likelihood of finding a reputable EMT-B certification online was gonna be slim to none, but I thought I'd ask. I couldn't take the EMT classes when they started a couple of weeks ago though because I was enrolled full-time in college. How difficult would it be to take an EMT class along with my Basic FFer class?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BowHunter4Life View Post
    I pretty much assumed the likelihood of finding a reputable EMT-B certification online was gonna be slim to none, but I thought I'd ask. I couldn't take the EMT classes when they started a couple of weeks ago though because I was enrolled full-time in college. How difficult would it be to take an EMT class along with my Basic FFer class?
    I took EMT over a 6 month period that was three hours for two nights a week plus occasional saturdays. But then again that was 15 years ago and I was not taking Firefighter classes at the same time.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

This depends on your personal work ethic and your learning style. It's only difficult if you make it that way. I took my Basic class with a full, 18 credit semester.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I don't think an on line class for EMT will be honored in Virginia.

In all probably if you did take an on line course and challenged the Virginia requirements and took a test, written or practical, you would fail!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    This depends on your personal work ethic and your learning style. It's only difficult if you make it that way. I took my Basic class with a full, 18 credit semester.
    I think I could do it, but with a pregnant wife and a 21 month old son, I'm pretty sure my social life would be hell on earth. "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

Forum Member

I took mine with a full college class schedule and working a full time job....

...but, my wife wasn't pregnant and I didn't have a kid already.

Sounds like a tall order, and I wouldn't put anything before family.

Forum Member

If you work fulltime then I suggest taking them at different times. Remember what you put into the class is what you will get out of it. And if you are not studying and retaining the information then it's worthless.

Forum Member

You are able to take EMT online http://www.trainingdivision.com/EMT.asp

I would not put too much faith into how much you will get out of it. But hell, if your state certification people will except it, go for it.

Personally, any monkey can make it through fire school. I would do EMT first, get the bigger challenge out of the way. You'll find out that a lot of people will complete a fire academy, and never finish their EMT. It is a lot of reading, learning, and medical terms.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'm still trying to find a place to do my EMT-B at in the beginning of November, I might have to work a couple of months doing some laborer jobs or something similar in the interim, but one way or another I'll ge m EMT-B and be a certified fire fighter!

Forum Member

BowHunter,

I took EMT-B through my local community colleges' continuing ed department, online. We met 6 times for 10 hours each, the rest was curiculum online. If I had to do it agian, I would sit in the classroom the whole time. A lot had to do with the instructor not teaching properly and I feel as though I just did not get EVERYTHING out of it that I should have.

In in the end, I still hold the same cert from the online class that the people who go and sit for 172 hours in the room.

Mickey

Forum Member

Do your due diligence and determine how an online EMT-B course is perceived in your neck of the woods. Then ask yourself if you're comfortable with the stigma of being trained to provide, lifesaving patient care, online. If your physician, nurse practitioner, PA or lawyer said he was qualified for the job and you found out that it was through online training, minus the normal hands on dynamics of conventional didactic training (classroom training), how would you feel?? What would you think??

I ask this because I was a medic for 14 years, and unless you're good (AND MEAN REALLY GOOD) if you've never had any exposure to pre-hospital care concepts, whether you're a paramedic or EMT-B with modified treatment modalities, it can be a ball buster! You might complete it and get certified, HOWEVER, in my state (California) you'd be considered a certified assassin!!
    Do what ever you can to go the conventional route! Good patient care is worth it!! Take no short cuts!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I think I could do it, but with a pregnant wife and a 21 month old son, I'm pretty sure my social life would be hell on earth. "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"
    I did my EMT-B at Trainingdivision.com and was very impressed. They have a 93% Nat. Registry pass rate on the first try. If you can be disciplined and read your text book and do the work sheets you shouldnt have any problem. I finished mine start to finish in 3 months, but it can be done quiker its go at your own pace. I would recomend it, its not as hard as you would think.

FossilMedic

jagebner,

Go for the ems degree.

Increases your value as a firefighter candidate.

There are more part-time jobs for paramedics than guys with fire science degrees ... except for those who specialize in alarm and sprinkler system installations.

Good luck!

Mike

Thread Information