Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default Wireless Monitors

We have spec. a traditional monitor on our new engine. I have tried to sell a wireless remote monitor to the department but they thought it was not needed. Other than cost, does anyoone know pros and cons.?

thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

You don't need someone to run the pump and run the monitor. One person can do both. You don't have to climb on top of the rig operate the gun. You can walk away from the truck and take a look where the stream is actually going and make adjustments. You can stay away from the rig (think haz-mat) and operate a protective or dispersal stream. I recently operated a demo pumper with an electric gun (not remote) and even that was a significant advantage. That particular gun had to be operated from the pump panel, but it makes the driver a 1,000 gpm firefighter. Having wireless remote would even be even nicer. And on a big job you could bring a lawn chair, set it up somewhere and operate the gun with the remote.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by black hills fire View Post
    We have spec. a traditional monitor on our new engine. I have tried to sell a wireless remote monitor to the department but they thought it was not needed. Other than cost, does anyoone know pros and cons.?

thanks
    Huge money, low use. We even took the monitor right out of our new engine specs. I can't recall the last time the deck pipes were used where a ground mount wasn't the better option. While deck pipes fit the bill once in awhile, the infrequency hardly makes up for the cost of the remote system and the 1000 gpm fog nozzle!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wireless Monitors

With the exception of the salesguys commission everything on fire apparatus is expensive! This Rosey Pumper/Rescue has a TFT Roof Mounted Toranado (450) on the cab and a Monsoon (2000) at the rear corner with Extendagun. The nice feature is you can be darn near in the next town operating the monitors.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    METZ AERIALS: "SO EASY A CAVEMAN CAN USE THEM"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Huge money, low use. We even took the monitor right out of our new engine specs. I can't recall the last time the deck pipes were used where a ground mount wasn't the better option. While deck pipes fit the bill once in awhile, the infrequency hardly makes up for the cost of the remote system and the 1000 gpm fog nozzle!
    Why do you or anyone for that matter put a fog nozzle on a deck gun? We have a couple and I can't figure out why other than a slick saleman that wanted a couple of extra dollars in his pocket.

Forum Member

"Huge money, low use."

Thats pretty common on apparatus now aint it? 10 man cabs for depts who cant man their rigs, wireless monitors that dont get used much, more preconnects than they can man, so many waring lights you need 2 alternators, etc, etc.

Forum Member

A million warning lights are still more useful than some of the other things I've seen attached to rigs lately.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    Why do you or anyone for that matter put a fog nozzle on a deck gun? We have a couple and I can't figure out why other than a slick saleman that wanted a couple of extra dollars in his pocket.
    We don't! I can't understand starting with anything but the SB on a master stream. We have manual fog tips for all our master streams in the compartments, but they rarely get any use except to ensure they're working for that big vapor cloud call.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    ...that big vapor cloud call.
    And on a remotely placed monitor, NOT a deck mounted gun. If your using a deck mounted gun for vapor cloud control, you might be parked just a bit too close!

As for other firefighting purposes? It puts on a cool show for the kids when you create a 1500gpm cloud of water at the fun fair in august when its 100 degrees. Other than that, useless.

Forum Member

There is a video on Youtube showing a smoothbore and fog portable nozzles. It shows that they both shoot the same distance with the same pressure. Am I missing something,I thought that smoothbore would push water farther.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atER2...eature=related

Watch

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1 View Post
    There is a video on Youtube showing a smoothbore and fog portable nozzles. It shows that they both shoot the same distance with the same pressure. Am I missing something,I thought that smoothbore would push water farther.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atER2...eature=related

Watch
    Similar comments in another current thread. In the end the real important reason we choose the SB is the amount of the actual stream that makes it "on target". Finely divided water molecule are much more readily carried away by air currents, and evaporate quicker, whereas the larger droplets from the SB tend to allow more actual gpm to contact the material. This is what I call knockdown power, the GPM available at the point of contact with the burning material. In defensive operations this is readily witnessed. Watch the "straight streams" bend away long before arriving on target, vs. SB streams deeply penetrating the fire. All too often the streams at defensive jobs are just PR line, only serving to make the citizens more confident their FD is doing "all they can". But in fact many of us just pour water until the fire burns itself down to a manageable size.

Forum Member

The classic fully involved abandoned mill with 7 elevated master steams pouring 10,000gpm into the building, as 9,990 of those gallons evaporate before they clear the roof line.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    I seems to remember you get extra ISO points for carrying a "master stream fog nozzle." That could be one reason.

Forum Member

There is probably some NFPA yada yada bull**** that makes it standard too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim54 View Post
    You don't need someone to run the pump and run the monitor. One person can do both. You don't have to climb on top of the rig operate the gun. You can walk away from the truck and take a look where the stream is actually going and make adjustments. T
    I agree with bigjim. If you have the money, it improves safety, productivity, and efficiency. One thing I'll mention: Agreed you typically don't use a truck mounted deck gun on a regular basis; but when when fire conditions dictate it's use, things are going South in a hurry. The situation is usually improved by the application of copious amounts of water.

CP

Forum Member

AND QUICKLY! Hehe T.C.

Forum Member

thanks
    I've heard that considered likely that next version of NFPA1901 will require that truck monitors be operable without a FF on to of the truck (for obvoius safety reasons). That such was nearly part of the 2007 version.

Elkhart Stinger RC monitor can be operated from wireless handheld from up to 1/4mi awhile while in truck mount mode or when on tripod in ground mounted mode (from battery pack). Could be quite useful in high hazard scenarios.

About $4000 more than a std monitor.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    I've heard that considered likely that next version of NFPA1901 will require that truck monitors be operable without a FF on to of the truck (for obvoius safety reasons). That such was nearly part of the 2007 version.
    That is stupid. The fire service really needs to do something about all of this NFPA garbage. "Hey guys. I know times are tough and money is tight, but I have all these new gizmos that I'm going to make you buy"

Not saying that a remote controlled monitor doesn't have its uses, but not every dam engine in the country needs one. And who the heck thinks that's an obvious "safety reason" when our profession has us going into burning buildings! and if its so dangerous to be on top of a fire engine, are they going to make an automatic hose loader?

Forum Member

Already got one. Works for peanuts compared to a lot of jobs,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    That is stupid. The fire service really needs to do something about all of this NFPA garbage. "Hey guys. I know times are tough and money is tight, but I have all these new gizmos that I'm going to make you buy"

Not saying that a remote controlled monitor doesn't have its uses, but not every dam engine in the country needs one. And who the heck thinks that's an obvious "safety reason" when our profession has us going into burning buildings! and if its so dangerous to be on top of a fire engine, are they going to make an automatic hose loader?
    Perhaps, but the silly stuff in last NFPA update was driven by Fire Depts. Blackbox, seat sensors, speed limiters, etc. $10k/ruch that didn't come from any manufacturer trying to sell us anything. Add on the EPA BS for another $10k+.

You have to admit that dang few pumpers have a proper (safe) position where a FF can perch while operating a monitor. No decent place to put your feet or butt. Top pump panels here average FF can easily reach the monitor.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    Perhaps, but the silly stuff in last NFPA update was driven by Fire Depts. Blackbox, seat sensors, speed limiters, etc. $10k/ruch that didn't come from any manufacturer trying to sell us anything.
    Come on, you don't really believe that BS do you? None of those things were requisite on any apparatus, they all take the place of an officer who actually does his/her job! Instead we've cost the taxpayers much more money and not corrected the problems. Every item adds costs to the apparatus and that cost gets marked up, resulting in the manufacturers pocketing larger profits.

Now remote controlled monitors? An absolute farce, proving again how out of touch with reality the 1901 committee really is. A significant percentage of their recent mandates serve merely to make fire apparatus more unreliable with too many whiz gadgets.

And I'd agree, if you have the money to pipe a gun, get one, but skip the remote controls and save yourself a bundle.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default To Pumper 8032

Do you guys use NFPA or DIN? Does anybody down your way use DIN?

Thanx!

Don't be concerned about Cartman and food, those Bar B Q guys are a dime a dozen. Our guy Tiller worked on our Canteen and served up some real goodies! He would always comment "if he only had thumbs"!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    METZ AERIALS: "SO EASY A CAVEMAN CAN USE THEM"

Forum Member

Interesting Response thanks, we are a small town our current engine companies have monitors. But do have large investments to protect. They are low use, but when you need them you need them. I just attended a fire school where we utilized a TFT remote monitor with a riser I was impressed. Mostly with the how the monitor raised above the truck giving the operator a more angle of attack. As far as stacked tips or fog we carry both, then who ever believes in them can put on what they want.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Do you guys use NFPA or DIN? Does anybody down your way use DIN?

Thanx!

Don't be concerned about Cartman and food, those Bar B Q guys are a dime a dozen. Our guy Tiller worked on our Canteen and served up some real goodies! He would always comment "if he only had thumbs"!
    I don't think you got to YOUR present condition by walking BY our BBQ,hehe T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just attended a fire school where we utilized a TFT remote monitor with a riser I was impressed. Mostly with the how the monitor raised above the truck giving the operator a more angle of attack. As far as stacked tips or fog we carry both, then who ever believes in them can put on what they want.
    That's a sales trick. The best angle for a master stream put into a window will generally be upward to bounce off the ceiling and get the most coverage. The downward angle limits where the water ends up. Look at some pics of any moderate to large FD that does a lot of defensive work, you'll see most of the streams placed at an upward angle, excluding the ones boring down through the roof, which would require a 3 story or taller pumper! This inlcudes tower bucket guns that have the all the options of placement.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information