Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Question Going From no Certs to FF/EMT, Civil Test Results?

Hello all.

Up until now, I have been applying at Dallas area departments that do not require any certifications (Dallas, Mesquite, Carrollton, Irving, Garland, Plano). Once hired on, you will be sent to fire & EMT school and possibly eventually Paramedic.

Of course at the departments that don't require certs, you will be sitting next hundreds and hundreds of other applicants. I have done fairly well...placing in the top 10 - 15% on the Civil test, but as you can see I am here on this forum seeking input and not at a station somewhere.

Later this summer, I will be FF/EMT certified. This will open up many more departments that I will be able to test for.

For those of you that tested at departments w/o certifications and then got your certifications and continued to test,
    HERE IS MY QUESTION;

What was your ranking results, did you stay in the same percentage range? I typically score pretty well, usually in the mid to upper 90's.

Any other info would be appreciated if there is something else that was noticed after certs were obtained.

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by sachse1; 05-11-2010 at 12:06 PM.

Forum Member

Has anyone been in this situation?

Forum Member

The first department I tested for had 200 sitting for the test. It was an 8-station dept in West Texas. I scored a 92 and was #14 IIRC. I ended up getting hired #2. No bonus points.
    I seem to hit the 92-94 range pretty regularly. At my current dept I got hired when they decided to do a second class - didn't rank high enough for the first class. Made the same grade at San Antonio and didn't make the cut at all.

We have had upwards to 3000 testing, sometime more, for a cut off of 300 high scores to go forward to the CPAT and so on. From there it get widdled down again to maybe 150 or so.

That is usually the smartest guys who know how to read, comprehend and take the test.

Having a firefighter certification or any EMS certification is not required, BUT it help those who do, to test better, than those who just left mc donalds for a break, to take the written exam.

If my department or others in Virginia and or Maryland, if we hire you, we are going to send you to our training school and train you as we want you trained and certified you if you pass all the tests, hoops and hurdles.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

You will find alot less testing for the openings, and some are repeats that the department does not want anyway.

HIGHLY suggest keep going and get the paramedic, and that will open up to test for more depts. in dfw.

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/employment.asp

alot want the paramedic

Thread Information