Forum Member

Default FAA Funded Station?

Has anyone dealt with the FAA regarding building a station with FAA funds? Specifically a dual response station that responds to both airport and community from a Class 2 airport?

I understand that personnel will need to remain for ARFF response when other personnel respond into the community to ensure FAA compliance.

We are potentially looking at this in the future and just wanted to get a heads up.

Thanks,
    Walt
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

I imagine this would be something that would fall under airport improvement funds which normally don't pay for everything. I'm sure you would probably be able to get a good bit of money if done right. I think you will be hard pressed to get the FAA to pay for any trucks that would be primarily off property responders.

Forum Member

The Philadelphia International Airport airfield and buildings on the site are protected by City of Philadelphia Firefighters, who utilize vehicles and quarters paid for by the US Dept of Commerce (IIRC??????) Perhaps that is a route you could look into.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

What I'm referring to is a station only. We already have the ARFF truck and the engine & ladder would be purchased by the city because it is for city response.

Apparently the FAA will help with a grant for building a station along with what equipment is needed for a station (SCBA cascade, day room, dorm, etc). I'm just wondering about building a building large enough for additional apparatus and future growth of both the airport and needs of the station.

Thanks,
    Walt
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

Contact Rapid City, SD fire department. They have a new airport fire station under construction and I believe the funding is from the FAA.

http://www.rcgov.org/Fire/index.html

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFWALT View Post
    Has anyone dealt with the FAA regarding building a station with FAA funds? Specifically a dual response station that responds to both airport and community from a Class 2 airport?

I understand that personnel will need to remain for ARFF response when other personnel respond into the community to ensure FAA compliance.

We are potentially looking at this in the future and just wanted to get a heads up.

Thanks,
    Walt
    The FAA will only fund the part of the building that is to be used for ARFF. They will not pay for the portions of the station that support the structural service.

Forum Member

Our new station addition was only partially funded and it's 100% ARFF.

The FAA doesn't pay for the hallways, offices, and restrooms according to our grant.

They paid for our training rooms, "war/crash" room, and communications center.
    The kitchen, lobby, and all offices were paid for by the airport.

Ask over at www.arff.info, those guys know about this type of stuff the best.
    Josh Ball
    FF/EMT - Zoneton Fire Protection District
    PSO II - Louisville International Airport
    Deputy - Bullitt County Sheriff's Office

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joshball View Post
    Our new station addition was only partially funded and it's 100% ARFF.

The FAA doesn't pay for the hallways, offices, and restrooms according to our grant.

They paid for our training rooms, "war/crash" room, and communications center.
    The kitchen, lobby, and all offices were paid for by the airport.

Ask over at www.arff.info, those guys know about this type of stuff the best.
    They should have, if they followed the Advisory Circular on ARFF station construction. I am curious why your region wouldn't.

Thread Information