Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJR512 View Post
    There should be another sticker inside the helmet that looks kind of like the sticker on the driver's side door jamb of automobiles. It has spaces for various pieces of data like MODEL, LINER, SHOP ORDER NO., etc. One of them is DATE OF MFG. As that implies, if you want to really know for sure when your helmet was made, look at that datum.

For example, looking at my Cairns Classic 1000 right now, I see mine was made 09/23/2010.
    I'm pretty sure that fire store is not going to sell, much less even have in stock, a helmet more than 5 years old. If they do I'd report their asses. Infact, they shouldn't be selling any stock older than 1 1/2 to 2 years old.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that fire store is not going to sell, much less even have in stock, a helmet more than 5 years old. If they do I'd report their asses. Infact, they shouldn't be selling any stock older than 1 1/2 to 2 years old.
    What do you base this off of?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    What do you base this off of?
    The fact that you're supposed to replace you helmet after what, 10 years, and I know that if I had bought a helmet from a company and it was older than 2 years old I'd send it back. I don't want to pay 300-600 bucks for a helmet to have a fifth of it's service life already taken up on the shelf. I wasn't saying there's a rule, I guess what I meant was, make sure you check the date and if it's older than two years old, I'd return it and get a refund. That would be like buying milk a day or two before the expiration date, except with the helmet you don't get to see the manufacture date until you get it in your hands. Hope that makes more sense.

BTW, your signature is excellent, that's the way we should all look at the fire service.

Forum Member

I see where you're coming from, but to think that there isn't gear in service today that's older than 10 years is seeing past the facts. Just like on every other aspect, we choose to obide by the NFPA standard that is convinient at the time. The chief that says no helmets more than 10 years old will be the same one to turn a shoulder to the fact that he is running a 2 man engine company.

I have purchased 2 N6As in the last 2 months. One is a 2004 that was barely used and saw no fire and one is a brand new 2010. I plan on having them both still in service 10 years from now.

Please excuse the Blackberry picture:
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I see where you're coming from, but to think that there isn't gear in service today that's older than 10 years is seeing past the facts. Just like on every other aspect, we choose to obide by the NFPA standard that is convinient at the time. The chief that says no helmets more than 10 years old will be the same one to turn a shoulder to the fact that he is running a 2 man engine company.

I have purchased 2 N6As in the last 2 months. One is a 2004 that was barely used and saw no fire and one is a brand new 2010. I plan on having them both still in service 10 years from now.

HAHA, I see exactly what you're saying brother. I'm just afraid to buy something that old and be told i can't use it ya know? Funny how they have an issue with a fire helmet over 10 years old but not a truck or engine 15+ years old, haha. Will you buy me one for Christmas ole buddy, J/K. Hope all is well with ya, haven't talked to ya in a while. How's life in Old Savannah? I miss my old state sometimes.

Forum Member

I don't think anyone, let alone me, was suggesting that thefirestore.com (or anyone else for that matter) was selling helmets more than five years old, or even one and a half to two years old. Not sure why this reply needed to be in response to a quote from me because it isn't based on, or disputing, anything I said in that quote.
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Forum Member

Keep after the PAINT and you will. If you DON'T: Good Luck. T.C.

Forum Member

I don't think anyone, let alone me, was suggesting that thefirestore.com (or anyone else for that matter) was selling helmets more than five years old, or even one and a half to two years old. Not sure why this reply needed to be in response to a quote from me because it isn't based on, or disputing, anything I said in that quote.
    Ok, someone's a little defensive here. For one I was emphasizing what you were syaing on the date, I qouted you because you were showing how to look up the date of manufacture. Had I been responding negatively to you, you would have known, as it would not have been the least bit civil, .

One of them is DATE OF MFG. As that implies, if you want to really know for sure when your helmet was made, look at that datum.

For example, looking at my Cairns Classic 1000 right now, I see mine was made 09/23/2010.
    I was trying to emphasize that if the date shown inside was any older than 2 years old, I would personally send it back, as I would feel a lttile cheated. That is all I was doing. Calm down brown cow, .

Forum Member

Ok, someone's a little defensive here. For one I was emphasizing what you were syaing on the date, I qouted you because you were showing how to look up the date of manufacture. Had I been responding negatively to you, you would have known, as it would not have been the least bit civil, .

I was trying to emphasize that if the date shown inside was any older than 2 years old, I would personally send it back, as I would feel a lttile cheated. That is all I was doing. Calm down brown cow, .
    Ahhh I see, apologies for the confusion. Consider me one calm brown cow.
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Forum Member

Who says you have to replace helmets after 10 years?

Forum Member

No one is holding a gun to your head to go by nfpa standards. It is up to the department and city/county in which it is in.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    No one is holding a gun to your head to go by nfpa standards. It is up to the department and city/county in which it is in.
    Once AGAIN, a voice of REASON. T.C.

Forum Member

ok all, last i heard was the 1st of the year meant a startup of production on the houstons. anybody hear anything? talked to anybody? im growing impatient.

Forum Member

i just got my first new leather from TFS about 4 weeks ago... also no paint or other issues. just needs a lil fire to break er in .

Whos says Fire Trucks cant be YELLOW!

Forum Member

so how do I get my tin helmet to pass NFPA? I want to be old skool.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    so how do I get my tin helmet to pass NFPA? I want to be old skool.
    Keep dreamin' .. Nothing wrong with dreaming, actually...

Forum Member

Wouldnt it be great grandfathered in ?
    ?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think that you were but. . . . . . . .

Oh yes they are! How do I know you might ask? Well its because, i purchased one from them that was over five years old. Did I pay full price? Heck no! They (TFS) had a huge sale and advertised it as what it was, a never used helmet that was made 5 years prior. I got it for almost half off the sticker price, I think I paid something like $275.00. Good deal? I thought so.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by InstructorJV87 View Post
    i just got my first new leather from TFS about 4 weeks ago... also no paint or other issues. just needs a lil fire to break er in .

Not only does the helmet need a fire to break it in.... so do those trucks! Park em outside for a while or something!

------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Not only does the helmet need a fire to break it in.... so do those trucks! Park em outside for a while or something!

Give me that Helmet for a month, then it will look like you DID something,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=RFRDxplorer;1237691]Not only does the helmet need a fire to break it in.... so do those trucks! Park em outside for a while or something!

/QUOTE]

HAHA yeah we like our trucks not ripe. u park um outside they will rott and turn this redish color!

Forum Member

Give me that Helmet for a month, then it will look like you DID something,hehe T.C.
    yeah unfortunately this helmet isnt gonna get alot of action... i use it strictly for classes i instruct. which lately hasnt been much

Forum Member

As of today, it looks as if the Fire Store is started to restock the Sam Houstons a little at a time. Variations that were sold out this time a month ago are now back in stock (NOTE: not ALL variations), however the price has JUMPED. When I bought my newest N6A in Decemeber the regular price for a deluxe model with Bourkes was $612.00. That price has wrisen to $663.00, while a fully decked out model with goggles and Bourkes will now run you $713.00. They currently have them on sale, so if you are thinking about one you might want to get one while they aren't THAT expensive.

I had heard rumors of the helmets going up in price when they were re-released, so I guess this comfirms it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

I mentioned it another thread, but here seems as good a place as any....

If anybody is looking for a Black N6A in size LARGE, brand new with Bourkes and Goggles (So it is NFPA) my local dealer has one in stock and will ship.

Just putting it out there for anybody who has been having trouble finding one.

Thread Information