Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Any N6A will be a helmet that will meet NFPA, assuming you have the right eye protection. I for one am not going to order a helmet with extra junk that I don't need just to get a sticker. The helmet is the same reguardless of the eye protection.

Something to remember about The Fire Store vs. your other dealers; TFS stocks more helmets than any other dealer in the world. They have helmets available because that's what they have in stock, not because they call MSA and get more whenever they want. Your normal dealer doesn't keep a large stock like they do. That's why your normal dealer has to order and has a list from here to the door of people waiting on helmets.

I just recieved my 2nd N6A from TFS, a red 2010 model. Paint looks fine so far, guess we will see how it goes.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    Brother, that is the current NFPA helmet standard edition, the new edition doesn't come out until 2012. Your helemt is compliant, you may have some paint issues though, that is why Cairns stopped production for a bit, to figure out a solution to the paint issue. Hope you keep your receipt in case you have any paint issues so you can get it fixed by Cairns.
    No Worries, they make paint every day('cept sat/ sun and holidays). A lil' refurb,good to go. Hehe T.C.

I knew that was the case with TFS having a large stock. They move helmets unlike small distributors who may only get an order for a few in a year. Most people will not pay for a leather. The guys on my job hastled me about buying one. I guess they don't understand the history or tradition. I am just glad TFS had them instock and on sale because I sure as heck was getting inpatient waiting to hear when MSA was going to open up their line. Take it easy guys and have a Merry Christmas and be safe on the job!

Forum Member

No Worries, they make paint every day('cept sat/ sun and holidays). A lil' refurb,good to go. Hehe T.C.
    HAHA, yeah, I can't wait to get one myself. I was just trying to explain to the poster I quoted that the NFPA sticker on it wasn't outdated, that that was the current NFPA helmet standard, he thought he got duped by the fire store.

BTW, anyone wanna buy a N6A for a super cool, super nice guy that goes by the name firefightinirish217 for Christmas, he's been super good this year, I haven't even thought about how nice it would be to punch one of my SNCO's lately, J/K.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 12-16-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 164thDelta View Post
    It is.....checked on the inside...NFPA 1971/2007 edition
    There should be another sticker inside the helmet that looks kind of like the sticker on the driver's side door jamb of automobiles. It has spaces for various pieces of data like MODEL, LINER, SHOP ORDER NO., etc. One of them is DATE OF MFG. As that implies, if you want to really know for sure when your helmet was made, look at that datum.

For example, looking at my Cairns Classic 1000 right now, I see mine was made 09/23/2010.
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJR512 View Post
    There should be another sticker inside the helmet that looks kind of like the sticker on the driver's side door jamb of automobiles. It has spaces for various pieces of data like MODEL, LINER, SHOP ORDER NO., etc. One of them is DATE OF MFG. As that implies, if you want to really know for sure when your helmet was made, look at that datum.

For example, looking at my Cairns Classic 1000 right now, I see mine was made 09/23/2010.
    I'm pretty sure that fire store is not going to sell, much less even have in stock, a helmet more than 5 years old. If they do I'd report their asses. Infact, they shouldn't be selling any stock older than 1 1/2 to 2 years old.

I'm pretty sure that fire store is not going to sell, much less even have in stock, a helmet more than 5 years old. If they do I'd report their asses. Infact, they shouldn't be selling any stock older than 1 1/2 to 2 years old.
    What do you base this off of?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    What do you base this off of?
    The fact that you're supposed to replace you helmet after what, 10 years, and I know that if I had bought a helmet from a company and it was older than 2 years old I'd send it back. I don't want to pay 300-600 bucks for a helmet to have a fifth of it's service life already taken up on the shelf. I wasn't saying there's a rule, I guess what I meant was, make sure you check the date and if it's older than two years old, I'd return it and get a refund. That would be like buying milk a day or two before the expiration date, except with the helmet you don't get to see the manufacture date until you get it in your hands. Hope that makes more sense.

BTW, your signature is excellent, that's the way we should all look at the fire service.

I see where you're coming from, but to think that there isn't gear in service today that's older than 10 years is seeing past the facts. Just like on every other aspect, we choose to obide by the NFPA standard that is convinient at the time. The chief that says no helmets more than 10 years old will be the same one to turn a shoulder to the fact that he is running a 2 man engine company.

I have purchased 2 N6As in the last 2 months. One is a 2004 that was barely used and saw no fire and one is a brand new 2010. I plan on having them both still in service 10 years from now.

Please excuse the Blackberry picture:
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

I see where you're coming from, but to think that there isn't gear in service today that's older than 10 years is seeing past the facts. Just like on every other aspect, we choose to obide by the NFPA standard that is convinient at the time. The chief that says no helmets more than 10 years old will be the same one to turn a shoulder to the fact that he is running a 2 man engine company.

I have purchased 2 N6As in the last 2 months. One is a 2004 that was barely used and saw no fire and one is a brand new 2010. I plan on having them both still in service 10 years from now.

HAHA, I see exactly what you're saying brother. I'm just afraid to buy something that old and be told i can't use it ya know? Funny how they have an issue with a fire helmet over 10 years old but not a truck or engine 15+ years old, haha. Will you buy me one for Christmas ole buddy, J/K. Hope all is well with ya, haven't talked to ya in a while. How's life in Old Savannah? I miss my old state sometimes.

Forum Member

I don't think anyone, let alone me, was suggesting that thefirestore.com (or anyone else for that matter) was selling helmets more than five years old, or even one and a half to two years old. Not sure why this reply needed to be in response to a quote from me because it isn't based on, or disputing, anything I said in that quote.

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Keep after the PAINT and you will. If you DON'T: Good Luck. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJR512 View Post
    I don't think anyone, let alone me, was suggesting that thefirestore.com (or anyone else for that matter) was selling helmets more than five years old, or even one and a half to two years old. Not sure why this reply needed to be in response to a quote from me because it isn't based on, or disputing, anything I said in that quote.
    Ok, someone's a little defensive here. For one I was emphasizing what you were syaing on the date, I qouted you because you were showing how to look up the date of manufacture. Had I been responding negatively to you, you would have known, as it would not have been the least bit civil, .

One of them is DATE OF MFG. As that implies, if you want to really know for sure when your helmet was made, look at that datum.

I was trying to emphasize that if the date shown inside was any older than 2 years old, I would personally send it back, as I would feel a lttile cheated. That is all I was doing. Calm down brown cow, .

Forum Member

Ok, someone's a little defensive here. For one I was emphasizing what you were syaing on the date, I qouted you because you were showing how to look up the date of manufacture. Had I been responding negatively to you, you would have known, as it would not have been the least bit civil, .

I was trying to emphasize that if the date shown inside was any older than 2 years old, I would personally send it back, as I would feel a lttile cheated. That is all I was doing. Calm down brown cow, .
    Ahhh I see, apologies for the confusion. Consider me one calm brown cow.

Forum Member

Who says you have to replace helmets after 10 years?

No one is holding a gun to your head to go by nfpa standards. It is up to the department and city/county in which it is in.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    No one is holding a gun to your head to go by nfpa standards. It is up to the department and city/county in which it is in.
    Once AGAIN, a voice of REASON. T.C.

ok all, last i heard was the 1st of the year meant a startup of production on the houstons. anybody hear anything? talked to anybody? im growing impatient.

i just got my first new leather from TFS about 4 weeks ago... also no paint or other issues. just needs a lil fire to break er in .

Whos says Fire Trucks cant be YELLOW!

Forum Member

so how do I get my tin helmet to pass NFPA? I want to be old skool.

Thread Information