Forum Member

Default Cairns stopped production on the N6A?

I saw this on thefirestore.com page, anyone know what is up with this?

"Limited Availability Due To Cairns Production Stoppage. Cairns temporarily stopped production of the N6A Houston due to manufacturing issues. No date has been provided for the restart of production. Please check dropdowns for available configurations, this may change on a daily basis. If you choose to place an order for an N6A helmet that is not in stock, there could be a several month waiting period. TheFireStore.com has relationships with many helmet manufacturers and would like to make the following recommendations. Cairns N5A New Yorker (OSHA), Phenix First Due 1500 TL-2 (NFPA), or Paul Conway American Heritage (NFPA) are suitable helmet alternatives."

Forum Member

Could it be that they finally realized they were putting out a helmet that was subpar to the ones they put out before the takeover? Ones that the paint peeled off of out of the box?

Interesting suggestion list. They have now started selling the TL-2. This will have a certain few on here going nuts I am sure.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Thats very interesting to hear, hopefully they are going to fix most of the issues that popped up after MSA took over. Cairns did use to make great helmets, and with luck this means they'll improve and do that once more...But I'll stick with my TL2 even still

And oh hey look, another Vermonter. Greetings from Windham County brother.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I bought one last year and the paint has been pretty good. Definitely not what I expected after hearing some of the stories on here.

And hello from Southwest VT EngineCO38!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lono View Post
    I bought one last year and the paint has been pretty good. Definitely not what I expected after hearing some of the stories on here.

And hello from Southwest VT EngineCO38!
    I've really only heard horror stories about the paint myself. Out of all the leathers at our station only one guy uses a Cairns and its Natural not painted. But good to hear that you got a helmet that didn't peel like a lot of the others did, the paint thing I hear about quite freaquently.

And Southwest Vermont eh, let me guess the Bennington area?
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Here is what MSA had to say about the deal...

"Yes the N6a is currently on a production hold and not a manufacturing hold. The fire store has it wrong on the website and they have been inform about that. There is nothing wrong with the N6A that and in the field and that are being made. They still meet and exceed the nfpa standards. They should be off the production hold shortly.

Hope this helps
    thanks"

Forum Member

Just to show you when Cairns merged with MSA their products hit rock bottom, equal with MSA!

I had and use a old 1960 New Yorker, where the inside was sized to fit you head. No impact cap or adjustable liner. This severed well for over 40 years.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EngineCO38 View Post
    I've really only heard horror stories about the paint myself. Out of all the leathers at our station only one guy uses a Cairns and its Natural not painted. But good to hear that you got a helmet that didn't peel like a lot of the others did, the paint thing I hear about quite freaquently.

And Southwest Vermont eh, let me guess the Bennington area?
    Good guess!

Forum Member

I hate to contribute to another helmet thread, but...

Is there any update on this? They're still showing prodcution stoppage on the N6A, it's been 5 months.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lono View Post
    Good guess!
    a bit off topic.....but,

Lono, I have some family in Bennington and the surrounding area. Some friends on Bennington rural and also on Wilmington. I stop over in Woodford every couple of months. Youse guys still fighting the move to full time staff in Bennington? i gotta admire the work you guys put in.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thedozer View Post
    a bit off topic.....but,

Lono, I have some family in Bennington and the surrounding area. Some friends on Bennington rural and also on Wilmington. I stop over in Woodford every couple of months. Youse guys still fighting the move to full time staff in Bennington? i gotta admire the work you guys put in.
    I don't know that they will ever change to a paid department as the town isn't really growing, but there is always talk of consolidating the two departments into one.

I've been to a few mutual aid fires in Woodford and it's always tough to get water up there, especially in winter. It gives me a new appreciation for hydrants!

Forum Member

anybody have an update for us?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by truckedup133 View Post
    anybody have an update for us?
    I don't see any availability notice or warning for the N6A on thefirestore.com. Or for the N5A for that matter.
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJR512 View Post
    I don't see any availability notice or warning for the N6A on thefirestore.com. Or for the N5A for that matter.
    There was one for the N6A, apparently they're etiher not restocking the N6A at all or they're selling off all of the old stock before they restock as they have only a few colors available and they're all on sale. I hope they're making room for the new product.

Forum Member

I contacted MSA personally and got an email from them saying that it will be atleast until after the first of the year. I had an order in for a new Houston with a dealer and then my buddy called me up about thefirestore having a sale last week. Well I picked up my new Houston from UPS yesterday. I couldn't believe it because I was ticked off with the wait/production halt and when I found out thefirestore.com had them...I jumped ship!!!

Forum Member

Here is a copy of what MSA sent back to me:

To whom it may concern,
    Several months ago we discovered a manufacturing issue with the Cairns N6A
    Houston leather fire helmet. Our plan was to evaluate the issue, determine potential
    solutions, and then to get the helmets made with the new process certified as NFPA
    compliant. Working through that plan has taken longer than expected, and
    unfortunately I must report that we are still working to finalize our enhanced
    manufacturing process.
    At this time there is no set date for re-starting production of helmets. We will do our
    best to let you know as soon as we expect to begin shipping helmets.
    We understand that this unexpected and lengthy production stoppage has caused
    some issues for our customers, and we apologize for that. Thank you for sticking
    with us and continuing to support Cairns fire helmets.
    If you have any questions or need any additional information, please contact MSA
    Customer Service at 1-800-MSA-2222.
    Sincerely,
    Benjamin Mauti
    Product Line Manager,
    Cairns Fire Helmets

Forum Member

Just a FYI. Spoke with a lady at Cairns today and she said that production is set to take back off in January. Also she said that the issue was paint. Good news I think.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 164thDelta View Post
    I contacted MSA personally and got an email from them saying that it will be atleast until after the first of the year. I had an order in for a new Houston with a dealer and then my buddy called me up about thefirestore having a sale last week. Well I picked up my new Houston from UPS yesterday. I couldn't believe it because I was ticked off with the wait/production halt and when I found out thefirestore.com had them...I jumped ship!!!

It may be one of the older helmets and not a new one that is suppose to meet standards. Dealers will say aything to sell what is in stock.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

It is.....checked on the inside...NFPA 1971/2007 edition

Forum Member

Brother, that is the current NFPA helmet standard edition, the new edition doesn't come out until 2012. Your helemt is compliant, you may have some paint issues though, that is why Cairns stopped production for a bit, to figure out a solution to the paint issue. Hope you keep your receipt in case you have any paint issues so you can get it fixed by Cairns.

Forum Member

Any N6A will be a helmet that will meet NFPA, assuming you have the right eye protection. I for one am not going to order a helmet with extra junk that I don't need just to get a sticker. The helmet is the same reguardless of the eye protection.

Something to remember about The Fire Store vs. your other dealers; TFS stocks more helmets than any other dealer in the world. They have helmets available because that's what they have in stock, not because they call MSA and get more whenever they want. Your normal dealer doesn't keep a large stock like they do. That's why your normal dealer has to order and has a list from here to the door of people waiting on helmets.

I just recieved my 2nd N6A from TFS, a red 2010 model. Paint looks fine so far, guess we will see how it goes.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    Brother, that is the current NFPA helmet standard edition, the new edition doesn't come out until 2012. Your helemt is compliant, you may have some paint issues though, that is why Cairns stopped production for a bit, to figure out a solution to the paint issue. Hope you keep your receipt in case you have any paint issues so you can get it fixed by Cairns.
    No Worries, they make paint every day('cept sat/ sun and holidays). A lil' refurb,good to go. Hehe T.C.

Forum Member

I knew that was the case with TFS having a large stock. They move helmets unlike small distributors who may only get an order for a few in a year. Most people will not pay for a leather. The guys on my job hastled me about buying one. I guess they don't understand the history or tradition. I am just glad TFS had them instock and on sale because I sure as heck was getting inpatient waiting to hear when MSA was going to open up their line. Take it easy guys and have a Merry Christmas and be safe on the job!

Forum Member

No Worries, they make paint every day('cept sat/ sun and holidays). A lil' refurb,good to go. Hehe T.C.
    HAHA, yeah, I can't wait to get one myself. I was just trying to explain to the poster I quoted that the NFPA sticker on it wasn't outdated, that that was the current NFPA helmet standard, he thought he got duped by the fire store.

BTW, anyone wanna buy a N6A for a super cool, super nice guy that goes by the name firefightinirish217 for Christmas, he's been super good this year, I haven't even thought about how nice it would be to punch one of my SNCO's lately, J/K.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 12-16-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Forum Member

There should be another sticker inside the helmet that looks kind of like the sticker on the driver's side door jamb of automobiles. It has spaces for various pieces of data like MODEL, LINER, SHOP ORDER NO., etc. One of them is DATE OF MFG. As that implies, if you want to really know for sure when your helmet was made, look at that datum.

For example, looking at my Cairns Classic 1000 right now, I see mine was made 09/23/2010.
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Thread Information